Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 10:11:29 AM EDT
Which rail panels are better, KAC or magpuls? (the non-lader kind) I was thinking of getting a rail sytem and a VFG, but which panels to buy?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with KAC.  They have the small lock/clip on the end that holds it onto the rail.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used both and you cannot go wrong with either.  

The Magpuls can be cut to length, come in three colors, are "grippy" without being sticky, and a lot cheaper thatn the KAC's from the sources I have found.

The KAC's come in preset lengths, come only in tan and black (I think) but take paint well, are smooth and somewhat slick to grip and cost more than the Magpuls from the sources I have found.

Both stay on very securely and provide very good heat shielding.

Much like pistol grips, it becomes an individual decision based on your hand size and personal preferences.

Good luck and good shooting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Also depends on what diameter you want.  Some feel much bigger than others.  I like the feel of the Dark Parks ones (I would rank them on the bulky/thicker side of covers) even though they are ugly as sin.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I use KAC and could'nt be happier.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#5]
KAC are highly engineeered and expensive.

Magpuls aren't exactly cheap, but they won't come off, either. There are no parts to break.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
rail covers are for the most part cosmetic...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I stick with the KAC units.

Solid retention and they hold paint very well.
Used KAC panels can be found in the EE for +/- $10.
Touch them up with the Krylon Ultra Flat spray paint color of your choice and voila, new panels.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with the Mag Pulls, They can be had in several colors and are very "Grippy". I LOVE mine and my next rifle will have 'em too
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Huh? You ever slid your hand across a railed forearm that did not have the edges milled off? It's like caressing a chainsaw blade. Grab one under some stressfire type drills and see how much skin you grind off. So I think I'll go out on a limb and state the panels are a little more than cosmetic.

As to the question, I have both KAC and Magpul panels. Other than cost I have no complaints irt the KAC ones. As for Magpul, I like the agressive texture, but my one complaint is that Magpul panels can be a pita to affix when you are outside in the cold. They snap on vs. slide on like KAC and Tango Down, so that is what I meant relating to the cold.  

Another option would be the Tango Down rail panels. I use them too and they slide on like a KAC does, they have a good agressive texture too, and the locking mechanism is alot simpler to use vs. the Magpuls. Another nice aspect of the TD's is they are very rigid plastic that will not come off accidentaly. I have knocked off my Magpul panels slamming the forearm up against a door opening to quickly take a barricade shot.

Like everything though, it is all trial and error, and those are my experiences with the diff' types of panels.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Magpul XT's...  I love mine.  The texture makes them better than the KAC's, in my opinion.  Even if they were the same price, I'd still go with the Magpul XT's.  They have ribs that insert into each groove so I can't imagine them coming off without someone trying to do so.  I will say, that I did like the feel of the TangoDown covers on an AR that I shot but I still wouldn't give up mine for them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Magpul
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It should be noted that KAC rail covers lock in place from the sides.  This requires the picatiny groove to be cut on the sides of the rail as well as the top and the bottom.  Usually you only find this on the Front and Rear-most picatiny grooves on rail systems.  This shouldn't be a big problem unless you wanted the panel to be attached to the middle of the rail. (I have no idea why anyone would do this.)

Tango Down Panels attach using a locking tab that fits into the top of the picatiny groove.

Edited: I have no idea why I said "bottom"...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It should be noted that KAC rail covers lock in place from the sides.  This requires the picatiny groove to be cut on the sides of the rail as well as the top and the bottom.  Usually you only find this on the Front and Rear-most picatiny grooves on rail systems.  This shouldn't be a big problem unless you wanted the panel to be attached to the middle of the rail. (I have no idea why anyone would do this.)

Tango Down Panels attach using a locking tab that fits into the top of the picatiny groove.

When I cut my DD12.0FSPM an inch+ shorter, I had to re-cut these into my fore-end in order for the panels to lock in.  But, when using JUST the 11-rib panels, I can just slide them on clip first and latch them into the rear of the rail.  But, I recently added a DD push button sling mount to the rear just in front of the locking ring and the panel on the left side had nowhere to lock into.  So I did what any smart AR15.com'mer would do and bought a SureFire M3 to keep the panels from sliding off the front!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a pic to illustrate what we're talking about in regards to KAC panels and the way the rail has to be cut in order for them to properly lock in.

The areas marked in red are where the sides of the rail have been cut in order to work with a KAC panel.

Just FYI.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the fact that Magpuls can be taken off and put back on much easier then KAC panels.  
I have Tango Down VFG that I like alot.  My KAC one seems to loosen up sometimes, but you can't go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer the Magpu XTs myself. They fit great and no need to cut or trim anything out of the rails to make them fit.

I also have a few KAC rails and they also fit, but they don't stay put, unless you trim the rails a little (As Salmonaxe shows); I bought 4 of the XT cover and trimmed them to fit (remove one square) .
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#17]
How is the fit with MI drop in handguards, and the KAC panels?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? You ever slid your hand across a railed forearm that did not have the edges milled off? It's like caressing a chainsaw blade. Grab one under some stressfire type drills and see how much skin you grind off. So I think I'll go out on a limb and state the panels are a little more than cosmetic.

Do the ladders provide enough protection (probably not as much as a full panel, but is it sufficent to avoid the cheesegrater effect)?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up the Tango Down ones. I like 'em the best.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do the ladders provide enough protection (probably not as much as a full panel, but is it sufficent to avoid the cheesegrater effect)?

Yes .

And I run a bit of both on my main carbine .
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#21]
i have used a few of them and out of tango down, magpul and kac i think they are all nice and you cant go wrong with any of them.

i have the kac on my larue rail and the clips have to be towards the muzzle if you use the exact length and i had no problems with them locking up.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes .

And I run a bit of both on my main carbine .

Agree.  I like the Magpul ladders best and use those on most of my rails.  I think the ladders offer plenty of protection.  

Plus a much lower profile on those fat rails .
I only use the xt's to fill up gaps between stuff on the rails to protect them .
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I use the ladders to fill gaps AND to hold the KACs in place if I need an odd size...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I dont like the way my KAC panels' clips rattle and they are a bitch to trim to custom length.  The Magpul XT are less expensive, lighter, quieter, grippier, easier to install and remove, etc.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top