Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2006 11:06:46 PM EDT
    I currently attend college and I am required to live in one of the dorms until the completion of my sophmore year.  I live about 1.25 hrs from my family, with an interstate that always has traffic in the best of times.  The Interstate is part of the coastal LA evacuation plan.  My problem is that I don't know what I should do in a SHTF situation.  If I stay in the dorms I don't have enough supplies to last but a week/week and a half.  That is if the water continues to pump (I live on the 11th floor of the dorm).  

To further complicate the problem I do not have a vehicle to use at the time.  I do have a decent hiking pack, camping supplies, and a limited amount of food on hand, along with a mountain bike.  I do not have any firearms as firearms are not allowed on campus (including dorms).  If TSHTF I should be able to get a ride from various people here to most any location in 150-200 miles if the roads are open.  What would you reccomend I do for some of the more forseeable (sp?) possible SHTF causes (ie bird flu, natural disaster like floods or hurricanes, terrorist attack, etc)?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You are screwed. Send your guns to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
    I currently attend college and I am required to live in one of the dorms until the completion of my sophmore year.  I live about 1.25 hrs from my family, with an interstate that always has traffic in the best of times.  The Interstate is part of the coastal LA evacuation plan.  My problem is that I don't know what I should do in a SHTF situation.  If I stay in the dorms I don't have enough supplies to last but a week/week and a half.  That is if the water continues to pump (I live on the 11th floor of the dorm).  

To further complicate the problem I do not have a vehicle to use at the time.  I do have a decent hiking pack, camping supplies, and a limited amount of food on hand, along with a mountain bike.  I do not have any firearms as firearms are not allowed on campus (including dorms).  If TSHTF I should be able to get a ride from various people here to most any location in 150-200 miles if the roads are open.  What would you reccomend I do for some of the more forseeable (sp?) possible SHTF causes (ie bird flu, natural disaster like floods or hurricanes, terrorist attack, etc)?

To start with, I'd take this discussion to the Survival Forum (General/Survival.)  

Then I'd get really good with riding long distances on my mountain bike, and learn how to pack light.  Finally, I'd read up on maps to locate preferred routes out of the affected zones.  

However, prevention is STILL worth a pound of cure.  I'd have gone somewhere else to college.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#4]
1 word. Cache. You should be able to locate a suitable cache site ans set yourself up with whatever you'll need.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Is one symptom of BRD rampant paranoia?

You guys are almost crazy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#6]
In case of a bug out try to bum a ride but take the mountain bike along (tie it on the roof-whatever-get padding and straps set aside). If the roads get totally FUed you can bail as best as possible.
You aren't in the best of situations but getting your education should be a big concern so your best bet is going to be to ride it out. If grad school is in the future you might consider your setup in your choice of schools. A beter place to live and personal transportation as soon as possible should free up your options.
The fact that you are thinking about your possible actions if SHTF is half the battle.
As events this past year and the year before have shown SHTF comes in many flavors and degrees. It isn't only terrorists and zombies,Mother Nature will kick the shit out of you if you give her half a chance
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#7]
And this is related to AR15s how?

If you want to talk bug-out/Bug-in - evac - caches etc  then head over to the Survival Forum in the General Section of this site.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Another thing to keep in mind is getting some packs for your bike if you plan to travel any long distances with it.

Is one symptom of BRD rampant paranoia?

You guys are almost crazy

Look at his location.  Anyone not planning ahead there is a fool.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My apologies, I did put this in the wrong forum.  I'll make another in the survival forum immediately.  I appreciate everyone's responses.  Link to new thread is here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
improvise...hijack a vehicle in the emergency.  Take some pretty gals with you so you can say you have to save them.  beg, borrow and steal  your way to home.  all is fair in love and war...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
improvise...hijack a vehicle in the emergency.  Take some pretty gals with you so you can say you have to save them.  beg, borrow and steal  your way to home.  all is fair in love and war...

I don't recommend a vehicle hijacking because the risk is too great.  Just think of what would happen if someone attempted to hijack a fellow AR15.com member who has his SHTF stash in the vehicle.  That could turn bloody real quick in Louisiana with our "shoot the carjacker" law.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't recommend a vehicle hijacking because the risk is too great.  Just think of what would happen if someone attempted to hijack a fellow AR15.com member who has his SHTF stash in the vehicle.  That could turn bloody real quick in Louisiana with our "shoot the carjacker" law.

+1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't under any circumstances try to hijack a vehicle when your in the state of Wyoming! Just a bit of advice from a former resident.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top