Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2006 2:07:04 PM EDT
Ok guys-which midlength do I want? Have been gearing up to order an RRA, but just saw a CMMG middy that looked great too. Give me your suggestions, I want to finally order one this week.

Thanks......MCO

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the looks of the RRA Elite Car A4; it may very well be my 1st AR h.gif
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
In no particular order
1. Denny's Mike Rock Cr lined middy
2. Bravo Company's middie govt profiled
3. CMMG middies (nice variety of configurations)
4. Talon Arms Sabre Defence Govt profile middie

Lots of nice choices amongst middies these days...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In no particular order

I'd be happy with any of these. I have the Sabre and love it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two CMMG mid length barrels, one is a 16 inch Gov profile (thin under the handguards), one is an 18 inch SPR.

They both rock.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In no particular order

I've heard nothing but good things about RRA; is there any reason to not get an RRA middy? Do the above brands have any real advantages over RRA?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
In no particular order

I've heard nothing but good things about RRA; is there any reason to not get an RRA middy? Do the above brands have any real advantages over RRA?

The RR barrel is a "mass produced" barrel while the rest of them are basicly hand made barrels.

It's going to come down to what kind of a barrel you want, profile, length and accessories.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
But then Colt, Bushie, Armalite, etc. all have "mass produced" barrels. So I'm assuming there's nothing really wrong with the RRA Wilson barrels (yes, I know they're 4140, it's ok).

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend the extra $100 or so on a CMMG or Sabre defense.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend the extra $100 or so on a CMMG or Sabre defense.....

If you have to ask....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've narrowed down my choice to either Bravo Company's middie govt. profile or Sabre Defence's govt. profile middie.

In true ARFCOM fashion however, I may have to get both!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've narrowed down my choice to either Bravo Company's middie govt. profile or Sabre Defence's govt. profile middie.

wish I could bro, but being a college student sucks for money. I need to pick one and stick with it. I've been interested in RRA for awhile because people universally seem to like them. I haven't,however, heard almost anything about their mids. The Elite CAR A4 looks really nice.....and I like the pricetag. I would suck it up and spend $100 more bucks if I was convinced it was worth it....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wish I could bro, but being a college student sucks for money. I need to pick one and stick with it. I've been interested in RRA for awhile because people universally seem to like them. I haven't,however, heard almost anything about their mids. The Elite CAR A4 looks really nice.....and I like the pricetag. I would suck it up and spend $100 more bucks if I was convinced it was worth it....

I remember what it was like to be broke dick poor in college, but don't fret... things do get better!

Anyway, if you want a true Mil. Spec. middie upper, you can't beat either Bravo Co. or Sabre. I say pay for the quality up front & your decision will serve you well for years to come.

Good luck with your decision.    
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember what it was like to be broke dick poor in college, but don't fret... things do get better!

Anyway, if you want a true Mil. Spec. middie upper, you can't beat either Bravo Co. or Sabre. I say pay for the quality up front & your decision will serve you well for years to come.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. One more year of school left and then, God willing, I'll make some cash.

Anyway, hate to keep dragging this on, but do you feel that the RRA is a bad choice? I know
certain things are out of spec, but RRA seems to have a good reputation around the forum. If they DO make an acceptable and comparable middy, saving money is very important to me. $100 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot to me now.....after all $100 will get me a bunch of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]

I bought a BCM from G&R.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man, I appreciate it. One more year of school left and then, God willing, I'll make some cash.

Anyway, hate to keep dragging this on, but do you feel that the RRA is a bad choice? I know
certain things are out of spec, but RRA seems to have a good reputation around the forum. If they DO make an acceptable and comparable middy, saving money is very important to me. $100 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot to me now.....after all $100 will get me a bunch of ammo.

Don't get me wrong... RRA makes some good stuff. It's just that the choices I listed are better IMO.

RRA does not use Mil. Spec. steel for their barrels. They dremel cut their "M4" feed ramps after anodizing. Their barrels are not parkerized under the front sight base. They don't offer their barrels with a 1/7 twist.

Both Bravo Co. & Sabre adhere to Mil. spec. in these areas, and these factors alone are what make me recommend them over RRA.

Now will a RRA upper reliably & accurately spray bullets down range? The answer is yes. But personally, I'm a "pay for quality up front" sort of guy, because I know that if I don't, I will regret my decision, and ultimately buy what I really wanted in the first place.

It's all about what you're willing to live with.      
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have a 14.5" barrel with mid gas?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Armalite?  I ask because I'm torn between the Armalite and the RRA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Armalite?  I ask because I'm torn between the Armalite and the RRA.

Probably for the same reason that you have people recommending other barrels over the RRA - the RRA and Armalite barrels aren't gov't profile.  Personally, I think that if you need an HBAR that you should probably be getting a stainless barrel instead anyways.  

RRA, CMMG, Sabre, and B Co BCM uppers are pretty much comparable in price.

For a gov't profile barrel I'd recommend either the Sabre or the B Co.  I currently own a Sabre, but I think the BCM upper is a better option because the barrels are proof tested. (not everyone cares about that, though).

For a higher end barrel, I'd say go with one of the barrels the Denny at GTS offers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong... RRA makes some good stuff. It's just that the choices I listed are better IMO.

RRA does not use Mil. Spec. steel for their barrels. They dremel cut their "M4" feed ramps after anodizing. Their barrels are not parkerized under the front sight base. They don't offer their barrels with a 1/7 twist.
Both Bravo Co. & Sabre adhere to Mil. spec. in these areas, and these factors alone are what make me recommend them over RRA.

Now will a RRA upper reliably & accurately spray bullets down range? The answer is yes. But personally, I'm a "pay for quality up front" sort of guy, because I know that if I don't, I will regret my decision, and ultimately buy what I really wanted in the first place.

Why is parkeing under the FSB so important? I know that may be a dumb noob question, but clearly I didn't get the memo.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#19]
So what are you going to do with it, or what do you want to use it for.

If you want a precision rig, look at the "recce" barrel that Denny has. Stainless steel, 1/8 twist with a Wilde chamber.

If you want a working gun, that will do a little of everything, then wait until the BCM uppers are available again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:59:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the Sabre from Talon Arms and I'm extremely happy with it.

That said the BCM middy is good to go as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Why is parkeing under the FSB so important? I know that may be a dumb noob question, but clearly I didn't get the memo.

Parkerizing is a protective finish that holds anti rust compound like oil and such.  Many folks just assemble and fit the FSB to the barrel and THEN park it to save time and money.  Without parking under the FSB, that area is prone to corrosion.  Full barrel parking, across the board, is a sign that someone has more than just  your money in mind.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:59:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought an RRA but only because at the time, it was one of the only options. Even then, I bought it from ADCO to make sure I got on that was chrome lined and so that I could have them "turn it down" under the handguards.

Trust me, you do not want a middy with an HBAR profile and that's the only way you can get them from RRA.. IMO, the profile is the only downside to the RRA version.

My vote would be this... Buy a stripped lower (which ever one floats your boat) and build it using a good LPK and what ever stock floats your boat then buy a Middy upper from either Bravo Company or Saber Defense. Saber can hook you up with a complete AR If you don't feel like building or just want a factory complete rifle.

Don't sweet the twist rate. Given the choice I would rather have 1/7 but if you're like most people and will only be shooting 55gr and 62gr loads, 1/9 is just fine.

ETA - As far as the parkerizing under the FSB, don't sweat it either. Sure it's a nice touch but its not a big deal at all and most AR barrels are not done that way. Matter of fact Colt and FN are the only two I can think of that do it that way. If you think it really matters, the Bravo Company barrels are also done that way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have two CMMG mid length barrels, one is a 16 inch Gov profile (thin under the handguards), one is an 18 inch SPR.

They both rock.  

That is the barrel that I am going to put on my next build.  I am glad to see lots of positive comments on the CMMG barrels.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Not that I care much frankly, but how is the fit and finish on Sabre, CMMG, and BCM mids? Also, I hear people suggesting Sabre and BCM a lot, but how does CMMG compare?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was on Talon Arm's website, and it looks like the Sabre mids have 1/9 barrels...is that right? I thought they were supposed to be 1/7.....www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=119&products_id=172
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Talon Arms sold a whole bunch of the Sabre uppers in 1/7.  I don't know off the top of my head what twist their other uppers use.

The fit and finish on my Sabre is fine -- a nice dark black, and it compares favorably to a couple of other upper's I've owned.  And the Sabre uppers I have shot have all been pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was on Talon Arm's website, and it looks like the Sabre mids have 1/9 barrels...is that right? I thought they were supposed to be 1/7.....www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=119&products_id=172

Typically, Sabre's barrels are 1/9 twist but Talon has them make special runs of 1/7 twist barrels.

Sabre Defence 1/7 mid-length barrels and uppers
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I have an RRA midlength and I love it.  No complaints about anything.

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#29]
OKay.  I am just about to pull the trigger on a new upper and had settled on either the Armalite mid length or the Bushy ultralight.  But now I'm browsing the B Co site because I would like a govt profile mid-length (lighter weight is the draw of the Bushy) but I need a dead nuts reliable piece, and I've never used anything from these guys.

I'm torn.  Help me out.

ETA.  I just noticed that all the B Co ones are 1/7 and I primarily shoot 55g so that rules that out doesn't it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
ETA.  I just noticed that all the B Co ones are 1/7 and I primarily shoot 55g so that rules that out doesn't it?

No. 55gr works just fine in 1/7 twist barrels. Go back and re-read the Ammo Oracle. If all you shoot is 55gr, you can go either way (1/9 or 1/7)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

CMMG

Anyone have input on a 14.5 with mid gas?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#32]
so where can you get CMMGs for the best price? Or do you need to order directly from them? Been doing some reading about their rifles, pretty impressed.......
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I got one of the Armalite midlengths a couple of weeks ago and love it. It is the equal in every way to my Colt or Bushmaster. Very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#35]
RRA makes some good stuff.

But for my midlength I went with a Sabre 1/7 from Talon.  I love it!!  My next build however is going to be using a CMMG 14.5" middy, I'll report on that when its complete.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
so where can you get CMMGs for the best price? Or do you need to order directly from them? Been doing some reading about their rifles, pretty impressed.......

From what I understand it's direct from them only. I ordered a 14.7" a month or so ago. Of course they are backordered.  Waiting for a new toy is hard...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMMG

No input whatever, except that they look cool!!!! I had to think HARD about getting one or a 14.7" M4 profile. I chose the later, for no other reason than to have a more "different" rifle than my 20" A2.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMMG

No input whatever, except that they look cool!!!! I had to think HARD about getting one or a 14.7" M4 profile. I chose the later, for no other reason than to have a more "different" rifle than my 20" A2.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/pedro45acp/cmmg_14_5mid.jpg

I'm looking at the CMMG mids, but I am really tempted by the 14.7" M4geries. I keep swaying back and forth between the two......we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm looking at the CMMG mids, but I am really tempted by the 14.7" M4geries. I keep swaying back and forth between the two......we'll see.

I feel your pain. The "get both!" approach is not always feasible. Damn I love that midi, but the 14.7 won out. Gotta play the lottery!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

They both rock.  

Chromed or not?  What kind of accuracy are you getting?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#41]
All of there Barrels are cromed except for the Stainless barrels.

14.5" middy is awesome, I tlooks really short and is very light.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

seems like only a few people actually have 14.5" mids, so it's hard to get much feedback about them. I've heard they handle well, though........
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seems like only a few people actually have 14.5" mids, so it's hard to get much feedback about them. I've heard they handle well, though........

I played around with the first one they made, actully probly the exact gun in the picture, it was by far the best handling Non NFA AR I have ever handled.

I kind of wish they had it when I bought my M4 upper last year.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I played around with the first one they made, actully probly the exact gun in the picture, it was by far the best handling Non NFA AR I have ever handled.

I kind of wish they had it when I bought my M4 upper last year.

I've heard from a few people that the 14.5" mids handle even better than the 16" ones.......
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I am sure I asked this question way back when I was looking at middies a year ago, but how is the balance of a 16" middie (govt. profile) vs. a 16" M4 M203 cut (govt. prfile) barrel?  Is it a little more nose heavier, or pretty much the same with the benfits of the gas system and sight radius?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#46]
mco119

There is nothing wrong with the RRA upper.

I bought one (a kit from M & A Parts) and it is very accurate and dead-nuts reliable.  I wanted a chromemoly barrel as I believe you get better accuracy with them and acceptable life.  I clean every two to three hundred rounds.  This one has digested a couple of thousand UMC, Winchester White Box and Black Hills Blue Box without a single hiccup.  Buy it.  If you buy one from Adco you can get the barrel turned down for way less than 100 bucks and you will have a nice light carbine, if that's what you want.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
.And from what I keep hearing form you guys that bought them, you are pretty happy with them too.

TalonArms.com

LOVE MINE!!!!  Thanks Talon Arms!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Personal opinion being what it is, I think BCM uppers are the best uppers on the market for the following reasons:

A full line of 4150 Chrome Lined Barrels
100% of Production (HPT) Proof Load and (MPI) Mag Particle Inspected
Parkerized under the Front Sight Base per Milspec
F-marked Front Sights, Flat top Milspec
5.56 NATO Chambers
USGI 1/7 Twist
Factory M4 Feedramps on all Barrel Extentions
Factory M4 Feedramps on Milspec Flat Tops
Laser Etched T-Marks
100% of Production (HPT) Proof Load and (MPI) Mag Particle Inspected Bolts
- Carpenter Tool Steel 158 (shot peened), with GI extractors (no MIM parts !)

Some of the above companies state that they have SOME or ALL of the above specs, but I question this (as I have seen them say one thing one week and change their answer another week).

Paul also dumps a 30rd mag through each upper before it leaves the factory. Each mag contains a variety of ammo from low pressure ammo to mil-spec ball.

All for the price of $399!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMMG

I just ordered the 14.5 middy with permanent phantom and gov't profile 1/7.  Depending on how long it takes them to fill orders I will let you know.  They immediately shipped all the accessories and crap I ordered with it (I ordered early Monday morning and they shipped it the same day!).  They haven't billed me for the upper yet.  I guess they wait on that 'til they ship it.  We'll see.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top