Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2006 9:10:00 AM EDT
First off, I did see that other thread and watched as it quickly spun out of control with opinions about the need for a lefty upper or not.  This is not the case here, the decision has been made, as I will explain below.  So if you want to debate the right or wrongs or the need for a southpaw AR, do it in another thread please.

I am a righty, this AR is not for me.  It's for my father, who is a southpaw.  He is a dedicated bechrest shooter who has all his guns setup for a lefty, most of his hunting rifles are lefty.  He solved the shotgun issue for upland game by going to a O/U.  I got my AR in Jan. and since then he has been seriously considering getting his 1st AR since he carried a shorty carbine in his OV-10 in S.E. Asia.  He has shot mine and was impressed except for having to shoot it lefty.

So, after making me do some legwork on finding a lefty AR here is the options.

1.  A lefty Stag flattop.  Stag only makes carbines in a flat top with no FSB, he wants a bull varminter type of gun to punch paper.  Kinda a father and son sort of thing.  He is a FFL so, dealing direct with the manufacturer is not a problem.  Because Stag doesnt make customs, the plan here is to buy the flattop AR with no FSB (I think its the 3L??) and then send it to Wilson Combat and have them put a good match grade target barrel on it.  My father knows people there personally at Wilson and has dealt with them for many years so he trusts them and knows their work quality.  My concern is that this is a bass-ackwards and much cost adding way to go about it.

2.  Buy the Stag Lefty upper with a B/BC/CH.  Buy a Complete lower from someone, I would have suggested a RRA but they are so backlogged that it would be 2-3 months to get one from them, but there are several makers out there that make fine complete lowers.  Take the Stag upper and whatever lower and send them to Wilson Combat for a target barrel and assembly.  Again seems to me a costly way to go about it.

3.  DPMS, I just in the last few days found that DPMS makes a southpaw upper.  For whatever reason my dad has not liked this option because the DPMS stuff has not forward assist/shell deflector/dust cover.  I am not sure why this has him freaked out.  I and I assume he will use a brass catcher because we both will be shooting mainly hand loads, and I got tired of chaseing brass as it flew around the shooting house.  But from a complete gun aspect, the DPMS route seems like a more cost effective way for him to get a high quality target gun.

Any other suggestions or advice on the above?

I have another question.  The safety, does anyone make a pure left handed safety latch?  Not an Ambi-safety, but a pure lefty.  He pointed out to me that the safety lever rides under his trigger finger and he says it is uncomfortable as hell for him.   Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Upper Receiver:
• Forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
• A2 fixed carry handle, modified for left hand ejection
• Dust cover
• Shell deflector
• Round forward assist
• Left hand ejection
This is off the DPMS web site. I did not know they made a left handed until I read your post. I am a lefty too and am having problems with right and left, which one to buy. Then comes what brand to buy. I want a carbine. The most luck to you and your father.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]

There are a few companies that make a left handed (not ambi) safety. Olympic Arms safeties can supposedly be turned around, to work from the left, but I haven't seen it in person.

I did find this one with a web searchwww.dlsports.com/tactical_safety_selector_switch.html.

As for the build, Denny at Global Tactical is a stag dealer, and does quite a few custom builds.

I have a Stag lefty, and it has worked flawlessly.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe you can get DPMS to make you a custom rifle. Since they also have the lefty forward assist and dust cover. Or you could just get all the parts together and have a gunsmith put it together for you. I’m sure Stag Arms would sell the parts separate and not complete. For the safety latch, you could make your own fairly easily. Buy an ambi selector switch. Then use a dremel tool or something to cut off the bottom of the switch for the right hand. Then refinish. So then you have a lefty switch. If you want I can make you one. I have some ambi switches laying around. My girl and brother are also lefties so I know what you mean. Just send me a message or e-mail at [email protected] if interested. Good luck with the project.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a DPMS Southpaw. 20" Bull. Cryo treated. I use a mesh-bag type brass catcher that works just fine. No dust cover on the left side, but it does have a forward assist. Free float handguards, bi-pod, A2 carry handle scope adapter rail. Even with junk optics( $50 eBay), I was punching 1/2" 5-shot patterns at 100yrds with 55gr SP jacketed hand loads.

The stock trigger from DPMS is a standard 8 pounds, but breaks well with just enough trigger take-up to not be jerky. I'm thinking of upgrading this to a 4.5lbs JP single-stage with their low mass speed hammer. They have an adjustable drop-in unit now too, but is a lot more pricey.

The DPMS folks will be more than happy to customize any of their stock offerings for you. Of course, if he want to go all out, just skip DPMS and check out www.jprifles.com
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Upper Receiver:
• Forged 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
• Hard coat anodized per Mil Spec and Teflon coated black
• A2 fixed carry handle, modified for left hand ejection
• Dust cover
• Shell deflector
• Round forward assist
• Left hand ejection
This is off the DPMS web site. I did not know they made a left handed until I read your post. I am a lefty too and am having problems with right and left, which one to buy. Then comes what brand to buy. I want a carbine. The most luck to you and your father.

Where did you find this?  In the options?  All i found there was the slick-sided southpaws on their Lo-Pro uppers.  I am waiting on a dealer pack from them so maybe it is listed in ther esomewhere.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
A RRA lower is made by CMT/Stag. There are plenty of Stag lowers around, or you could build one yourself.

I could be wrong, but I understand DPMS modifies an AR to get a left hand model, and Stag makes a complete independent mirror image true AR in left hand configuration.

You can buy Stag stripped left hand uppers and install your own barrel. You need the B/BC/ and ambi barrel extension, I believe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I found it on their website under specility rifles.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Doh....I missed the fixed A2 carry handle part.  Looking for a A3 type flat top....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can buy Stag stripped left hand uppers and install your own barrel. You need the B/BC/ and ambi barrel extension, I believe.

Ambi barrel extension......what the heck is that?  Does the barrel care which way the brass flys out of the gun?  It needs a speacial extension?  Damn I am glad I am not a lefty
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a lefty and I had no problems with my issue m-16a2 when i served, it's all what you get used to i suppose, i didn't mind some brass flying by my face.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top