Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:56:36 PM EDT
Anyone have any opinions about Armalite National Match rifles?  Looking into getting an AR, this model seems to best give me what I'm looking for.
Any good or bad opinions wanted.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What is it you want to do with your AR?  CMP/NRA competition?  Plinking?  Three gun?  Home/personal defense?  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to get into some competitive shooting and I do get to the range as often as I can.
I have a 45 for home/personal defense.  I know it's a 20", full stock, heavier than a carbine as well as less adgile.  Anything bad about them?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a post-ban Armalite National Match. It was by far the worst AR I have ever owned. Personally, I haven't had good luck with Armalite rifles so I don't reccomend them, despite thier making a good product. My FSB was constantly canted, as Armalite uses a non-standard attatchment method which is prone to coming loose. You have to loctite the hex heads, which completely negates the potential advantage of adjustments. My NM came with the wrong front sight post as did my flat tops. After my FSB was permanantly fixed, the windage was maxed and I had to send the rifle back to have the upper receiver replaced*free of charge, though it took 4 weeks*. My NM had a gremlins, hardly something trustworthy enough for a defensive rifle. Overall, I haven't been thrilled with Armalite, especially my NM model. I can say that they do make excellent guns*when they work* and they have lifetime waranty which they honor and thier CS is pretty good. Unless you are shooting at Camp Perry, you really don't need a national match rifle. I personally don't like the sights or the attributes. My NM was one of my first AR's and I was under the impression that NM models were "more accurate" and overall better rifles. I guess if you can get it for a song, by all means....otherwise, buy a DPMS, Bushmaster or Rock River standard 20 inch A2/A4. I don't think you will get your money's worth paying for the NM model.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
wow, that was a tough review.

I have had but one Armalite, an AR10A2 that I did not like it and sold it, lots of trouble.
That said, I'd think their AR15 type rifles would be pretty good.
You gotta realize what the NM is and what it is for and what it is not for.
It is for getting the smallest groups possible using iron sights at ranges up to and past 600 yards.
To accomplish this heady task, it has the adjustable FSB (as do all of the better NM rifles).
This allows the shooter to set his or her rear windage to the center and adjust and varances with the FSB by means of opposing set screws.
Once they are set you locktite it.
It is not meant to be adjusted for casual windage.
It is centered so each time you shoot you can start off windage centered on the rear sight and have the maximum adjustments available for range conditions.

It is not the best for home defence etc.
It is a specialized rifle, maybe even a highly specialized rifle.
If this is what you want you will be richly rewarded.
If you want anything remotely like a carbine or M4 you will surely be disappointed.

IMHO
Bill
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The armalite NM does not have opposing set screws. The FSB works just like a clamp that tightens in place which is not that great of an idea because if set too tight, it can restrict the bore. The rifles Another Bill speaks of has flats machined on each side of the barrel with opposing set screws to center the FSB. You will not be able to start off each time you shoot dead center as different bullets (which you will need for the full course) often shoot to different POA. IMO armalite only does this to speed production and save money, they are the only NM mnf. that clamps their FSB like this as far as I am aware of.

I have shot all the match rifles and captain two highpower teams, my personal preference is Rock River. Good luck with your new rifle whatever it may be.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked at many and had your criteria as well. I had this crazy idea I would someday shoot at Camp Perry, maybe I will but not this year. When I asked this question at another site, the best advice I was given was "buy the rifle you'll shoot now" I went with a Bushmaster XM15 ES2 A2.

If I were to go to Camp Perry, I'd set up a custom.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top