Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 12:09:06 PM EDT
We've seen the RIS, the RAS, then the FF RAS and RASII.  Somewhere in between we've seen the SIR and all 1,000 of it's variants.  We've seen the DD forends and PRI, and now the Larue.  Of course the MRP!!!  We've even seen H&K with their failed atempt at a proprietary mounting system.

There are many others out there but essentially they are the same (other than mounting to the weapon) when it comes down to it.  So this has probably been asked before but....

Whats (opinions) the next real leap in forend design concerning mounting to the weapon, mounting of accessories as well as anything else that might truly revolutionize the concept?

Or is there anything else to do?

As you can tell I'm bored and it's Sunday!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
electromagnetic mounts.

or a rail system with a built in gyro-stabilizer
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Slimmer, lighter, stronger
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
More rails that are integrated into the upper.  The Colt 1020 is going that way. If someone can come up with one that uses the regular barrel interface (instead of dedicated barrels like the MRP) I think they'd be golden.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Slimmer, lighter, stronger

I think Variable has it right. The only think that can possibly be done is to make them lighter.

I think we will see a whole host of quick change barrels incorporated into the FF tubes in the future as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If someone can come up with one that uses the regular barrel interface (instead of dedicated barrels like the MRP) I think they'd be golden.

<cough> VLTOR <cough>

but you didnt hear it from me
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully, longer.  The LaRue 13.2" is the longest quality rail I can find. I'm hoping that as they get lighter and stronger, they'll get longer as well so I can have a 15" rail covering my 16" barrel.  I'm not gonna lie, the less barrel I see, the sexier the rifle gets (whether it's covered by forend, or just SBR, I don't care -- it's always true!).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the future is a price drop.

Let me see..... new rail for $250 to 300, or new Savage 308 for sale now on the EE for $300 with Simmons scope.  Hard decision?  Let's just say, if I had $300 to blow right now, I may have me a new rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a simplified description of something I've been thinking of:

Some type of power distribution system that would allow you to use one type of battery type, a single source of power--a battery in the buttstock or pistol grip, connected to ceramic insulated + and - busses built into the rails. Connection points would have weather/water proof caps or plugs that would be removed as necessary. Connection to the devices (illuminated optics, NVD, lights and lasers) would be through "battery eliminators" that would replace the device original battery compartment caps with caps that have a short lead and connector for the rail power connector. Optimally, to eliminate cabling,  there would be a mount, or family of devices with integral mounts, that would connect to the rail power at the same time it's being attached to the rail.

I know KISS, and it sounds complex and sci-fi, but the advantage would be the use of one type of battery--no more worrying about carrying spare AA, AAA, N, CR123, DL276 batteries for each and every device.

The battery would have to be compact and lightweight (Lithium based?).

power connectors would have to be water/weather proof to prevent shorts.

About a decade ago I read a NASA engineering document about the development of articulated (flexible) ceramic insulated wiring for use on spacecraft. The end result was an abrasion resistant cable that would survive in extreme temperature conditions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully they'll just ban the things so we can all get back to worrying about marksmanship instead of looking cool at the range!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
talbalos,

You aren't the only person thinking about a consolidated power system.

Does that mean you and your buddies are, Stick, or does that mean that design teams/manufacturers are?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is a simplified description of something I've been thinking of:

Some type of power distribution system that would allow you to use one type of battery type, a single source of power--a battery in the buttstock or pistol grip, connected to ceramic insulated + and - busses built into the rails. Connection points would have weather/water proof caps or plugs that would be removed as necessary. Connection to the devices (illuminated optics, NVD, lights and lasers) would be through "battery eliminators" that would replace the device original battery compartment caps with caps that have a short lead and connector for the rail power connector. Optimally, to eliminate cabling,  there would be a mount, or family of devices with integral mounts, that would connect to the rail power at the same time it's being attached to the rail.

I know KISS, and it sounds complex and sci-fi, but the advantage would be the use of one type of battery--no more worrying about carrying spare AA, AAA, N, CR123, DL276 batteries for each and every device.

The battery would have to be compact and lightweight (Lithium based?).

power connectors would have to be water/weather proof to prevent shorts.

About a decade ago I read a NASA engineering document about the development of articulated (flexible) ceramic insulated wiring for use on spacecraft. The end result was an abrasion resistant cable that would survive in extreme temperature conditions.

Probably not far from that is having a fuel cell built into the stock.  Then you could go to the store and buy a canister of hydrogen (similiar to the cansisters of butane for refillable "crack" lighters) and refuel.   I'd rock one of those.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Passing fad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]
oh great..  cell phone charger "check" Norelco charger "check" ar15 charger " WTF OVER"

i dont think that ones gonna get off the launch pad if it does surface..
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
talbalos,

Was'nt ARMS doing something with that?

Good thoughts all..........except for the two posters who added nothing
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
talbalos,

Was'nt ARMS doing something with that?

Good thoughts all..........except for the two posters who added nothing

Lighten up Francis, an attempt at humor.

OK, I'll play:  cost reductions due to less machining.  You won't see milled slots running stem to stern down all four planes.  12:00 and 6:00, yes; 3:00 and 9:00, no.

Maybe some new materials, carbon fiber/kevlar for light weight and impact resistance accompanied by user installable rail sections.  Loctite of course will be included.

After that, I dunno.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
More rails that are integrated into the upper.  The Colt 1020 is going that way. If someone can come up with one that uses the regular barrel interface (instead of dedicated barrels like the MRP) I think they'd be golden.

MGI.

We'll also see more parts of the rifle made out of carbon fiber, as the use of it gains more and more acceptance.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top