Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:30:12 AM EDT
I am getting ready to accuire my first AR. After reading here and a few other forums for a month or so, I have decided on an M4 variant. How much am I going to save by just shopping for a good lower and buying a prebuilt upper? I don't want to get a kit or piece it togther, at least for the first one as I would like it to be a good experince the first time around.How
Iron Addict
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my first, a Bushmaster, complete and really like it.  Accurate and reliable (at least with the first 700 rounds I have put in it).  At this point, a little over a month later, I wanted to build at least one and had the same build or buy an upper question.  I answered it by looking at what I could buy, and pricing out what it would cost to build it.  Also, could I be happy with what was being spec'ed out by someone else, or would I end up swapping out parts anyway.  Turns out, I ended up just buying the few tools I need to build, and ordered the parts.  This way, I get what I want up front instead of spending more only to spend more again and swap out parts.

Lois
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The real question here is why are you buying.  Of the 7 ARs I own, 5 are built.  I chose to build because I wanted custom options that do not generally come on factory rifles cheaply.  I wanted match grade trigers on some, certain types of tac rails, certain bbl types, certain flash hiders.  A "store bought" would easily cost me $200 - $400 more that what I could do on my own.  However, if the rifle is not custom, store bought may be better.  At least I would have a 1 year warranty.  

I would recommend this.  If you don't want custom parts and you are going to shoot the hell out of it, buy yourself a used M4gery off the site.  You can also buy used uppers and used lowers and pin it together.  But if you want a "real" bushy or RRA or Colt, pay the $$ to make sure you get a real one.  875 is a good reasonable price for a new bushy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top