Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2006 6:08:06 PM EDT
sp1 w/coltguard nickle finish... how rare are these? are the prices still resonable?tell me what you can and i'll make up the rest!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Rare. How rare Im unsure.. But.. I havent seen one for sale in a while...

Electroless nickle can yellow with age... Buyer beware...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is one for sale for $1,500--------> LINK

There were not many of these, but not sure how few

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Theres another one for sale on this board besides yours but I can't find the link. That makes 3 for sale right now. on just 2 boards.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have1 so they must not be worth to much or be to rare.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had mine since 1984, and in all that time I have seen 3.  One in a mag, one in a pic posted here, and one on Gunbroker about 2 years ago.  

IIRC Colt made them in the 202 serial number range, as in 202000-202999, although I dont know if there was a 000 or a 999, but I do know that they were not serialed 201xxx or 203xxx, so doing the math, that gives us about 1000 copies.  

Mine is a shooter, and has been since day 1.  Its just a nice shooting slabside AR-15 with an unusual finish, and I like it!

Forgive the old Lone Star Ordinance wannabe round handguards, but I've had them on for so long, 19 years now, that I'm kinda used to them.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
<------ Has never seen or heard of these

Thank you for posting this, it has been interesting and educational.

Nice looking too.

Question: I *assume* that reason is related to corrossion protection....how much better is it than anodizing?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I think it was a gimick to compete with the "corrosion resistant" Ruger Mini-14 Stainless Ranch.  

Ruger was pushing their Stainless Mini to charter fishing and dive operators, pleasure craft owners, and others in the Florida area due to some piracy/drug smuggling issues off the coast.  Legitimate concerns.  Colt and Ruger weren't the only two, Winchester came out with their Winchester Defender, Stainless Marine, in 12G., in about the same time frame.  

It does not shoot any different, but I have never had any surface rust on the barrel or FSB at all, In fact, no rust at all except very minor surface rust for the non-coated parts.  Swamp coolers and guns just dont mix.  

Still, it was just different enough, hanging on the wall in a sea of black rifles, that I had to have it.  22 years later, it still puts the bullets where I want them to go.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
THANKS for the help guys, appreciate the info.. watch your backs!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat.  I always figured there were a limited number, but figured it was more than 1k.  Very neat indeed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Ill never part with it thats for sure.  And it is unique enough that it still raises eyebrows whenever I go to the range.  People just stop and stare.  I can't count the times I have said, "No, I did not have it refinished, its Coltguard, Electroless Nickel.  It came that way from Colt."  "Ive had it since I was 17, bought it right here in Phoenix."  

And "No, it aint for sale!"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top