Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:44:03 PM EDT
if one was to get a complete upper with these specs - 16" m4 cut, chrome lined, m4 handguards, stock fs, 1/9, m3 upper, stock b/c/h from say rra, cmmg (except in 1/7), del-ton, dpms, ameetec, bushmaster, etc - all stuff in ~$480 range(nothing fancy, just the basic m4 setup) should you expect pretty much the same level of accuracy from them for casual shooting, not including leo or military?  basically 1-2moa if i do my part?  do these places all get their uppers from the same source or are they all built in house but the different vendors?  is there one vendor that sticks out above the rest in either a positive or negative manner?

is it the customer service that makes people choose a certain vendor?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#1]
basically all similar..... i prefer bushmaster myself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
for the most part they are the same the only differences are some offer chorme linings and some donot. Begin rant:    I am curious at to why you want an M4 clone, Hell I am curious to as why ANYONE wants an M4gery. for the grenade/Flare launcher that they dont have and will never have?.    : end rand   anyway, If you are looking to just purchase an upper I would recoment a Model 1 sales, or a oly arms upper. for the price it doesnt get much better then those. as for OLY, I have had nothing but wonderful experiances with them, make your own judgement, but please dont just jump on the hive train and curse them off. At one point in time a Bushmaster was a despised rifle and thought to be total junk also. you may be better off with a pencil barreled upper or a lightweight or Hbar16
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
for the most part they are the same the only differences are some offer chorme linings and some donot. Begin rant:    I am curious at to why you want an M4 clone, Hell I am curious to as why ANYONE wants an M4gery. for the grenade/Flare launcher that they dont have and will never have?.    : end rand   anyway, If you are looking to just purchase an upper I would recoment a Model 1 sales, or a oly arms upper. for the price it doesnt get much better then those. as for OLY, I have had nothing but wonderful experiances with them, make your own judgement, but please dont just jump on the hive train and curse them off. At one point in time a Bushmaster was a despised rifle and thought to be total junk also. you may be better off with a pencil barreled upper or a lightweight

The part in red is the good advice but I love my M4 clones also.  I have a RRA, Bushy, LMT, Ameetec and they are all good upppers.  I like the LMT best but it is mostly personal preference.  The Oly discussion is a can of worms and since you did not ask I will not comment.  You have a good list there but also look at Saber Defense, LMT, Stag Arms, CMT. I like Eagle Firearms, Legal Transfers and ADCO for vendors.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
for the most part they are the same the only differences are some offer chorme linings and some donot. Begin rant:    I am curious at to why you want an M4 clone, Hell I am curious to as why ANYONE wants an M4gery. for the grenade/Flare launcher that they dont have and will never have?.    : end rand   anyway, If you are looking to just purchase an upper I would recoment a Model 1 sales, or a oly arms upper. for the price it doesnt get much better then those. as for OLY, I have had nothing but wonderful experiances with them, make your own judgement, but please dont just jump on the hive train and curse them off. At one point in time a Bushmaster was a despised rifle and thought to be total junk also. you may be better off with a pencil barreled upper or a lightweight or Hbar16

the reasn for the m4 barrel profile is weight and availability.  if i could find a good price on a pencil chrome lined upper that would accept a comp i would be game, it just seems like there are not a lot of pencil barrelled options available.  trying to make it resonably priced but lightweight.  may go cav arms lower, haven't decided yet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:11:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the reasn for the m4 barrel profile is weight and availability.  if i could find a good price on a pencil chrome lined upper that would accept a comp i would be game, it just seems like there are not a lot of pencil barrelled options available.  trying to make it resonably priced but lightweight.  may go cav arms lower, haven't decided yet.

Skip the M4 barrel profile and go with a lightweight. I recommend CMMG or Colt. Bushmaster is okay but I've never been especially impressed with them, though I own two 20" Bushies. There is zero reason to get an M4 profile barrel.

Take a carbine class and the joys of a lightweight will appear as clear as day. Last weekend I took out my Colt 6520 and my RRA Entry Tactical and the difference was amazing. The light weight was high speed and not tiring at all, and just as accurate. Granted the RRA is an HBAR, but the merits of losing the weight is clearly made
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Colt 6520, it is lightweight. I agree with the above. There is NO reason to own a stupid Hbar.

The Colt's barrel is a standard barrel, not a "pencil-barrel". That suggests that it is different, while some other barrel profile is the norm. The .625" barrel profile is the original. So they are standard. The other ones should be called fat-barrels.

Hbars are not more accurate. They only take longer to heat, but then they take longer to cool down.

If you're into carrying around unnecessary weight, go with an Hbar and keep helping those manufacturers profit by not having to turn down a barrel blank as much on a lathe.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
fBegin rant:    I am curious at to why you want an M4 clone, Hell I am curious to as why ANYONE wants an M4gery. for the grenade/Flare launcher that they dont have and will never have?.  

For the same reason anyone would get an AR15 that looks like an M16 but will never be full auto. Because we like the way it looks and what it weighs and the possibility something can be added in the future.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Get what you want, there is no reason not to get an M4 upper either, but if you want a pencle barrel go to CMMG, I think they have some at good prices. As for uppers I dont think you can go wrong with any of them, even olympic arms.

I hate people that say that you dont need this or you dont need that, hell you dont need an assault rifle, get a sporterized gun instead and quit sacaring the liberals if you think that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the 16 inch HBAR myself. Like they say in the commercials TWIX are for KIDS.
JR
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]
maybe i am blind, but on the cmmg site, the only lightweight upper i can find is the CMMG 14.7” Lightweight Upper w/Permanent A2.........
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
there is a guy here in florida that sells complete RRA uppers for 450.00. he has m4 profile as well as heavy. he also gives a choice of colors for the handguard. this is one of mine i just got from him. pm me if you want his contact info.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The M4 in 14.5 with Gov. profile under the HG is not that heavy.  Now the S.I.R. system is but that is another story.  I love the M4 and you can always find a deal on one.  This is my Ameetec/LMT M4.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the replies and the pics, and when the time comes js6000 i will be contacting you - is that chrome lined, complete upper, 1:9? :)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
thanks for the replies and the pics, and when the time comes js6000 i will be contacting you - is that chrome lined, complete upper, 1:9? :)

Legal Transfers sells that upper with chrome lined 1/9  for $419.00 shipped.  check his ads an the EE.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legal Transfers sells that upper with chrome lined 1/9  for $419.00 shipped.  check his ads an the EE.

thanks ;)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top