Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2006 6:23:47 PM EDT
I decided to introduce myself to the AR world by building my first AR.  It is now complete enough to take to the range.

http://www.fototime.com/{4BDF0A24-CB30-4C52-BD13-4655FD247E2F}/picture.JPG

With its new big brother

http://www.fototime.com/{C8A6B48C-D0FA-4031-958F-B93ED86B260C}/picture.JPG

Plain Vanilla.

Stag lower reciever
RRA lower parts kit
RRA M4 6 position stock
CMMG Midlength Govt Profile complete upper
DPMS A2 removeable handle

TADAAAAA!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you did it right the first time.  I had 3 ARs before I built a middy and I liked it so much my last 2 have been midlengths.  Make sure to tell us how it shoots.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looks like you did it right the first time.  I had 3 ARs before I built a middy and I liked it so much my last 2 have been midlengths.  Make sure to tell us how it shoots.

I'm taking it to the range this weekend...probably tomorrow.  I'll give a report.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, in case anyone's interested, the Stag lower/CMMG upper fits like a damn glove.  No slop or wobble or anything.  Tighter than something inappropriate to say in decent company.  They seem to be pretty darn compatable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
looking good
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Hide your credit cards/ debit cards, and stay away from the EE, BRD is no joke. West TN. has reported that BRD is spreading rapidly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tighter than something inappropriate to say in decent company.

...and where would that be?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
A very nice first build indeed!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#9]
job well done it looks great
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Shoes, welcome to the disease.
I'm sure this rifle will be the first of several.
Take care,
cc

Hey whereabouts in TN are ya?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm anxious to get this puppy to the range.  What suprizes me most about it is how light it is.  It makes my Winchester 94 seem downright clunky.

ColtCarbine,  I'm in Memphis.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:54:55 AM EDT
[#12]
 Welcome to the sickness-  Man I love seeing these "my first AR" threads...The more interest in these nasty "assualt weapons" is great!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks good.  Nice job.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I took it to the range yesterday between thunderstorms and got it dialed in.  I only spent an hour and a half at it, and only went through 80 or so rounds, but I'm overall pleased.

First of all, it ran flawlessly.  I went through various makes and the only FTF was when I forgot to take the chamber flag out when I hit the bolt release. hock.gif  So other than a loose nut behind the trigger (read as me) it was 100 percent.

The trigger was crisp with little to no creep.  I opted for the regular 1 stage trigger

It was a joy to shoot.  It's amazing to me that something so light, and with such minimal felt recoil could be so LOUD!  I was wearing ear protection and all, but sheesh!  That thing's near as loud as my PTR-91.  Not that this is a bad thing. here

Finally, I wasn't terribly impressed with my groups.  I was averaging 3 to 3.5 inch groups at 100 yards resting on a 4x4 and a rolled up towel.  I can usually manage a little better than that.  I figure the reason could be one, or a combination of several factors...

1.  I was just stinking up the place with lousy shooting.

2.  I need to get adjusted to the sight picture.  I'm not used to this short of a site radius.  That front post site looked awfully fat.  I'm sure this played a factor because my groups were getting smaller the more I shot.

3.  The 55 grain bullets were a little light for tack driving from a 1:7  barrel.

4.  I was just stinking up the place with lousy shooting.

Like I said, I'm very pleased with my first AR, and now that I've got it pretty much dialed in, I'm anxious to experiment with different bullet sizes and then take this puppy to the Action Pistol pits.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top