Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 3:12:32 PM EDT
I have a Colt Match Target HBAR 6601 that I like a lot. However, it has a 1 in 7 twist. I would like to get another upper for it I guess in a 1 in 9 twist. Will any uppper fit it?  I changed the front pin for one from Brownells that just pushes in. Do you have any recommendations? How about twist rate? I would like to shoot some 55 grain bullets. My 1 in 7 really likes the 77 grain sierra hpbt bullets. My savage 1 in 9 likes the 69 grain sierra hpbt bullet. What is a good all around twist rate? Thanks, John
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a Colt Match Target HBAR 6601 that I like a lot. However, it has a 1 in 7 twist. I would like to get another upper for it I guess in a 1 in 9 twist. Will any uppper fit it?  I changed the front pin for one from Brownells that just pushes in. Do you have any recommendations? How about twist rate? I would like to shoot some 55 grain bullets. My 1 in 7 really likes the 77 grain sierra hpbt bullets. My savage 1 in 9 likes the 69 grain sierra hpbt bullet. What is a good all around twist rate? Thanks, John

Try it first. It's not like it'll blow up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]

OK, how can I try it before I buy it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OK, how can I try it before I buy it?

"You have a 1 in 7 twist. You want to shoot 55 grain. Thus you need a 1 in 9" is what I read.  Have you tried 55gr in your 1 in 7. It should do fine. You'd be better off with a 1 in 9 for accuracy, but you're then just spending money on another upper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks, I had not considered that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#5]
after considering the matter I have decided to get another complete ar15. I had shot the 55 grain and lighter bullets in my ar and did not like the accuracy. I will go with the 1 in 9 twist this time. Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
after considering the matter I have decided to get another complete ar15.

If you had just bought the 1/9 upper, you would eventually have bought another lower anyway.

That's how black rifle disease works.  Currently I've got two "unattached" uppers, and it gnaws at me.  I know I'm eventually going to get another couple of lowers.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top