Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 6:17:37 PM EDT
Well, I took the TD VFG equipped Bushy out for the first time today. Right away I noticed that my shots were drifting to the left (I'm right handed). Any one else notice this tendency? If I pull on the pistol grip with my strong hand it countered the tendency to drift shots left by pulling back on the VFG. I love the VFG's feel and pressure switch mount location, but crap, now I've got to learn technique for just this rifle! Control did seem good during rapid fire when pulling aft on both grips... Thoughts, comments, questions, insults?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Spend more time with it, and include dry fire drills.  You will get up to speed in no time.

Yeah, I know, but I'm concerned that this one rifle is going to require a different technique. That's what's a little disconcerting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the encouragement, Stick. I may need to get the 22 kit out and get some trigger time in with the VFG equipped gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The only real way to find out if something works for you, is to put it through it's paces.  I bought one of the TD VFG's for my 10.5" LMT, only to find that as a lefty, it really screws my reloads.  I normally run my support hand straight back on the handguard, hit the magwell, and then kick my thumb out and slide it off the dust cover to activate the mag release on the way to fetching another magazine.  With the VFG, I had to take my hand off of the VFG, come around it, and go back up to the handguard before starting my drill.  Let's just say that the VFG was more trouble than it was deemed worthy of, and now resides in an EE ad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to be learning some good Sling skills................ Using a good 3-point position with a sling will correct for any variations using the VFG.

JF.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Is your thumb wrapped around the grip (like you are choking it) or is it up and one the weak side of the carbine (kind of like giving someone the thumbs up)? I've found that people who "choke" the grip tend to dump shots off to their weak side when playing with VFGs at first. A quick fix seems to be for them to put their thumb alongside the weakside of the grip or the rail.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is your thumb wrapped around the grip (like you are choking it) or is it up and one the weak side of the carbine (kind of like giving someone the thumbs up)? I've found that people who "choke" the grip tend to dump shots off to their weak side when playing with VFGs at first. A quick fix seems to be for them to put their thumb alongside the weakside of the grip or the rail.

+1.  I've found that there's a shift of an inch or more at 50 yards when I 'choke the chicken' vs when I have my thumb laying along the side of the rail.  Having the thumb straight and pointed at the target is also the way it rests when supporting a pistol, so I try to stick with that.

ETA that having the thumb laying along the rail gets the hand up higher on the grip and gives better control.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Try changing your grip on the VFG.

If you use the "thumbs up" position you may have better luck. You can lay your thumb along the side of the forearm. This will help you keep the barrel aligned on target.

Practice with several variations until you find the one that works for you. Then practice some more.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top