Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 5:07:52 AM EDT
Looking for an optic and scope mount setup to build a Recce-ish gun.

I want to make sure the scope/mount combo leaves enough room to allow for the fitment of a fold-down, backup iron site. Looking for either a variable 3x9, 3x10 or 6x optic.

What have you guys found that works best?

Thx.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I went with the Larue SPR mount and I must say that it is the best mount I have ever used. After mounting it on the rifle with a 3-10X40 scope and zeroing, I took it off and zeroed the BUIS and then re mounted the scope, to my surprise the POI had not shifted at all. I also have a Larue Eotech mount and often swap back and forth with the two and have yet to see any shift in POI, That is what I consider quality! As far as optics go, I use a Barska SWAT illuminated that was a cheaper alternitive to a Leupold for now. The scope is excilent for the price. I was kind of weary at first but after using it I have to say that the optics are very clear and the etched reticle is a definate bonus. I usually shoot out to 3-400 yds but every once and a while out to 600 and the power of the scope has been great for that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the "one-piece" aspect of the LaRue. Was looking at the Super Sniper 10x42M or the IOR Valdada 6x30 scope to top it off.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
out of the two mentioned i would probably go with the super sniper 10x42m
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
out of the two mentioned i would probably go with the super sniper 10x42m

Is it because of the 10x over 6x or just better quality?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Those two scopes are not directly comparable, in my opinion...as to features, quality or price, usage...

While the SS is a pretty decent scope overall for the money,

The IOR is a unique, compact tactical design with world class German optics. It is also illuminated, (if I understand the model you are referring to), and has a completely different reticle. At half the magnification, it works for CQB... and with it's superior optics, would still achieve about the same long range performance as the SS. It is also double the price and good 35mm rings will raise the ante as well. Still...it's about half of what a Leupold that would do the same job would set you back, and would still have better optics than the Leupold.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend your choosing either one, once you decide what features you want and what you want to do with the rifle.

TC
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
i have a super sniper with the side focus and the quality on it imo surpass its price by far.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those two scopes are not directly comparable, in my opinion...as to features, quality or price, usage...

While the SS is a pretty decent scope overall for the money,

The IOR is a unique, compact tactical design with world class German optics. It is also illuminated, (if I understand the model you are referring to), and has a completely different reticle. At half the magnification, it works for CQB... and with it's superior optics, would still achieve about the same long range performance as the SS. It is also double the price and good 35mm rings will raise the ante as well. Still...it's about half of what a Leupold that would do the same job would set you back, and would still have better optics than the Leupold.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend your choosing either one, once you decide what features you want and what you want to do with the rifle.

TC

Cool. Thanks for the 411.

I'm going for the SS for the 10x. Like any good nutcase on this board, I have a few ARs, one of which is an LE6920 with an IOR CQB scope on it. Pretty sold on the LaRue SPR mount too.

This one will go on Bushmaster Dissipator with it's heavy-assed barrel, because I plan to shoot it lying prone or behind cover supported.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top