Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:23:12 PM EDT
Tomorrow she'll be on her way to Stag for repair/replacement.  So far, I am very pleased with their customer support, and hopefully I'll be able to say the same about their product upon arrival.  Now I have to deal with a whole week of not having my weapon.  At least it'll save me money from range visits

To make you guys happy, here's a pic of her.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
why?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
what's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
What was wrong with it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is part of the letter I wrote to stag accompanying the upper.

Stag Arms,

My Stag 16" M4 upper was purchased brand new from gandrtactical.com.  Included all documentation and hanging tag stating that the upper passed all function tests.

First day at the range, I shot 90 rounds of Winchester .223 55gr FMJ.  89 Rounds shot fine and one jammed where the carrier/bolt slid right over the top of the magazine, or the bolt went back half way, and then got stuck on top of the mag.  I was unable to tell.

The next visit was to an indoor range where I am required to shoot their ammo, Winchester Q3131.  5.56mm 55gr FMJ.   The first few rounds shoot fine, and then after that it's one or two at a time before the rifle either doesn't cycle another round, or tries to, and jams it between the feed ramps and the magazine, putting a nice dent in the casing from the bolt head.

Sounding like an ammo problem, I went to the range master and asked for something different.  He gave me Federal American Eagle .223 ammo.  40 rounds shot fine, but it did not lock the bolt back after the last round was fired.  Please note that another AR15 shooter with a 16" RRA carbine shot the Q3131 just fine, during the same visit at the range, signifying that the ammo should be OK.

I went home, cleaned and lubricated the rifle, and gave it another try a week later.  Same results with both ammo.

I have tried different magazines and did not solve the problem.  Regularly, I use almost brand new D&H teflon coated mil sepc mags.

Becoming extremely frustrated with my brand new rifle, I decided to take a closer look at the upper.  I noticed what appears to be abnormal wear on the carrier end of the gas tube.  I decided to remove the gas tube and see what the opposite end looked like.  What I saw was abnormal carbon buildup, designating a gas leak to my knowledge, causing the horrible short stroking.

The gas key feels solid, but I was told that the bolts aren't staked correctly.

After each range visit, the rifle was cleaned and lubricated using BreakFree CLP.

The upper is mounted to a Stag Arms lower, using an RB Precision lower parts kit.

The rifle has not been shot since the gas tube was removed for inspection.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
A week?????

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

After then ban I sent my mini-y-comp'd Bushy upper to KKF to have the brake removed.

2.5 months later, she found her way home.

Kind of sucks to send the entire carbine off. Atleast I had a lower to play with.

I'm sure Stag will gitter fixed right. I've heard only good stories about their CS.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel your pain.  I had my J&T upper out for repair for a little over a week due to an out of spec gas tube.  It was ready after three days, but my dealer wanted to test fire it personally before handing it back to me.  He said that if he experiences problems with the repaired upper, I get a brand new one.  Now that is what I call customer service!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
oh, it's you.

haha i didnt read who posted the picture

i was like wow, i know a guy with a gun just like that..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A week?????

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

After then ban I sent my mini-y-comp'd Bushy upper to KKF to have the brake removed.

2.5 months later, she found her way home.

Kind of sucks to send the entire carbine off. Atleast I had a lower to play with.

I'm sure Stag will gitter fixed right. I've heard only good stories about their CS.

HS1

They replied to my email stating "Chris we will e-mail you out a return label today.
We recommend you let us fix the issue, from arrival to return should be no
longer than a week."

And I still have my lower to play with as well. :P And, well, my carry handle with mounted Aimpoint.

Only the complete upper is being mailed back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I feel your pain.  I had my J&T upper out for repair for a little over a week due to an out of spec gas tube.  It was ready after three days, but my dealer wanted to test fire it personally before handing it back to me.  He said that if he experiences problems with the repaired upper, I get a brand new one.  Now that is what I call customer service!

Very nice.  I'll have to mention that to Stag as well.  I would definitely prefer that they shoot it and see, but the problem is, it only short strokes with some ammo.  I don't know what they use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
oh, it's you.

haha i didnt read who posted the picture

i was like wow, i know a guy with a gun just like that..

Hahaha.  Yeah, I'm probably about the only one having problems with my Stag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]
M4A1OwnsYou- That is a shame, and I hope everything works out for you. Also, did your stag upper come with the "M4 side sling swivel" or did you get that extra?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
M4A1OwnsYou- That is a shame, and I hope everything works out for you. Also, did your stag upper come with the "M4 side sling swivel" or did you get that extra?

thanks

Yes it is.  You know what's more of a shame?

I took off work to shoot this Saturday at the only decent range which is open once a month, and now I have no rifle to do so.  Looks like I'll be bringing the 10/22, and shooting my friend's DPMS Panther.

The side sling swivel was included with the complete upper.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I know that's gotta suck but at leat you were able to shoot your rifle. I'm still waiting for parts.

Hope you get her back soon.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I know that's gotta suck but at leat you were able to shoot your rifle. I'm still waiting for parts.

Hope you get her back soon.  

Haha, but shooting it is what really pissed me off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Just take that 10/22! You can have a blast with that little guy. Put on a synthetic stock and pretend its your AR....j/k
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just take that 10/22! You can have a blast with that little guy. Put on a synthetic stock and pretend its your AR....j/k

Hahahaha.  Pretend eh?  I guess the recoil is comparable ;)

I planned on spending the whole day there though and shooting with my other AR buddy.  Now it looks like there's only going to be one AR.

I'll have to stop by Wal-Mart tomorrow and see what kind of .22 ammo I can pick up.  That Winchester X whateverthehellit'called is complete crap, but I guess I'll shoot the hell out of it anyways.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
1 week... You will live.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
From wally's My 10/22 likes the federal bulk packs, like 10 bucks or less.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'll check em out.  thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ditto. As does my Rem 504 and Win 52b...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1--best .22lr at wallyworld

worst ones are the remingtons--jamomatics and FTFs
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I planned on spending the whole day there though and shooting with my other AR buddy.  Now it looks like there's only going to be one AR.

I'll have to stop by Wal-Mart tomorrow and see what kind of .22 ammo I can pick up.  That Winchester X whateverthehellit'called is complete crap, but I guess I'll shoot the hell out of it anyways.

This is why you need more than one AR-15.  I have four, just in case I have to send three back at any one time.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why you need more than one AR-15.  I have four, just in case I have to send three back at any one time.  

Lol good point.  I'm in the process, but it'll be a while.  I'm on a tight budget, and I want a shotgun first.  After the shotgun, I'll probably go ahead and build the lower with an A2 stock, or go ahead and purchase the 20" A2 upper I want.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow...I just built the exact same rifle...RBP LPK and all...haven't shot it yet.
My upper didn't have a function test tag though...

Hope you get it back soon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Wow...I just built the exact same rifle...RBP LPK and all...haven't shot it yet.
My upper didn't have a function test tag though...

Hope you get it back soon.

You should be very satisfied with it, given your upper doesn't act like mine.  Let me know how it performs once you shoot it.

And thanks, I hope so too :) It's going out in a couple hours
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top