Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:54:39 PM EDT
What is a good barrel to buy. I have a dpms rifle and didnt know if i should stick with their barrels or what. I am still new to the AR and dont know much about them. I have a YMH front flip sight  tower that i was planning to put on it.  I was wanting to get a 14.5 or a 16 inch.  I plan on shooting paper terrorists at the local range. thanks for your help. -derek
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind do you have now? If you just plan on paper punching, stick with what you have.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are not planning on reaching out to 600 yards and beyond dont waste the money on a new barrel.  Get a bunch of ammo and blast away!! Any factory barrel will shoot minute of paper terrorist all day!

Enjoy your gun and dont worry about "keeping up" with some of the big spenders around here.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
there is nothing wrong with the barrel i have now. I was wanting to buy a one that is chrome lined and 14.5 or 16inches but still keep my other one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
there is nothing wrong with the barrel i have now. I was wanting to buy a one that is chrome lined and 14.5 or 16inches but still keep my other one.

You may as well just buy another gun.  Let me tell you how this all works.  You get your first AR and it is a 20" boring A2 target type.  Then you see all the other cool ARs out there.  Then you decide to change your barrel and upper to get a cool flattop with a M4 type barrel.  Now you got the old parts just laying around and you think what a waste now I need to buy another lower.  Maybe I will just build the lower up with a match trigger and start shooting High Power matches since I already have a A2 with a 20" barrel.  So now you start shooting High Power matches and find out you really need a better 2 stage trigger and a free floated barrel, and if you have to remove the 20" barrel to instal the free float tube you may as well get a match barrel.  Now you have your "cool" AR and your Service rifle.  But now you realize you have a spare barrel and trigger parts lying around.  Time to order a new lower and upper so you can assemble these "spare" parts that are laying around because they cant go to waste.  Now you have 3 ARs and you spend all your free time here looking for the newest latest greatest parts to put on your M4gery.  You decide it is time to build a SBR and..........

As you can see changing the barrel is a trap.  You will only keep spending money and building new guns.  Trust me I am waiting on my short barrel and other assorted parts for my SBR that just got approved.

Do yourself a favor and just go buy another AR, you will feel much better.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
O Dont worry, the spending  has already started. I have had 3 different stocks, 2 different pistol grips, a new forarm freeflot tube...(but not before i bought the aftermarket plastic handgards by first samco((((crap))))). i also bought a flattop A3 upper reciver. rear flip up sights and now the front flip-ups. Most of this is  before i found this lovely web site. This is the last place i needed to stumble across. I would be better off driving down the road and throwing money out the window.(I also am wanting to buy an eotech or aimpoint optic.) And all of this is just in the last year or so since my first AR purchase. AND yes, with all of the parts i have laying around i have thought about buying a stripped lower rec.(until i found out you had to register the damn thing... even if it is stripped...hey wishful thinking) And then i bought a blackhawk vest from a friend. the vest had a pistol holster so i had to go out and buy a Kimber custom II to put in it. (it just wouldnt be right without it!)Just in the last week i have bought the Kimber and a benelli nova tactical shotgun. And i am looking for the barrel which brings me to my question on which to buy. Also Eotech or aimpoint????? I like the eotech 512 i think. (the one that takes the double A's) this is probably like 3 new threads, sorry. but also thanks for all the help.-derek
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both the EOTech and an ACOG.  I am basically only using the EOTech now for the 3 gun matches.  The ACOG is nice but nothing beats the EOTech when you are inside 100yds.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
one thing about this site that hasent cost me anything is all of the free advise. It probably would have saved me some money to find it before i bought my gun!!! thanks guys-derek
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top