BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:04:57 PM EDT
thanks?? any ideas whats a matter?

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming you're talking about the little "chew marks" around the outer edges?  If so, most of mine look like that too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Your buffer/buffer tube is too far back. There is a gap between the buffer and carrier, allowing the carrier to slap into the buffer (making the inner circular marks), and on the return, the buffer hitting the buffer retaining pin (making the outer marks). Either the hole for the retaining pin is drilled too far back, or the buffer tube lip is too long.

Edit: This doesn't mean that your rifle won't work, but I can't see how it would be good for the buffer to slam into the retaining pin.

Edit II: correction made
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No. Your buffer/buffer tube is too far back. There is a gap between the buffer and carrier, allowing the carrier to slap into the buffer (making the inner circular marks), and on the return, the buffer hitting the buffer retaining pin (making the outer marks). Either the hole for the retaining pin is drilled too far back, or the buffer tube lip is too long.

really well that sucks, so worst case it could be the lower, best case its the stock?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really well that sucks, so worst case it could be the lower, best case its the stock?

i don't think it's an issue.
all of mine have that feature.
after thousands of rounds i can say it has never been an issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Take out the retaining pin and put someone else's buffer in there. Fire 100 rounds or so and see if the problem surfaces again.  Seems like if the lip of the receiver extension tube was out of spec that the pin would still hold the buffer where it needs to be.

I've never seen the retaining pin in the wrong place cause something like that. Our Bushmasters have a worn ring around the buffer, exactly the same size as the carrier, so I know that's the cause on ours.

Please let us know what the final diagnosis is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Check the rear of your carrier for a small burr.  You probably wouldn't notice it during routine cleaning.  If you find a burr or edge, stone it down, use emory cloth, or swipe your wifes flexible nail file.

I looked it over and even used tissue but couldn't find any burr's

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Take out the retaining pin and put someone else's buffer in there. Fire 100 rounds or so and see if the problem surfaces again.  Seems like if the lip of the receiver extension tube was out of spec that the pin would still hold the buffer where it needs to be.

I've never seen the retaining pin in the wrong place cause something like that. Our Bushmasters have a worn ring around the buffer, exactly the same size as the carrier, so I know that's the cause on ours.

Please let us know what the final diagnosis is.

you are correct. I corrected my post.

I have heard one instance of that happening here a year or two ago
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top