Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 10:49:22 AM EDT
what's the benefits of having the M4 desinged barrel over just the 16" Hbar or 16" gov. profile?  I ask because they're generally the same price or the M4 barrel is $5-$10 more.  Assuming both can have feed ramps.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
It's lighter than the HBAR, but has only cosmetic advantages over a government profile barrel.

M4 barrels suck, unless you need to mount an M203.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Some desire the "mil-spec" look of the step down for mounting the M203.  Myself, I think it looks silly and just adds unnecessary stress on the bbl.  I prefer the midlength setup myself--just looks more balanced than having all that bbl sticking out there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally prefer the HBAR 16 inch. Technically all things equal it should be more accurate. Its kinds of a joke to have the M4 barrel.....why you think they call it the M4gery.
JR
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I personally prefer the HBAR 16 inch. Technically all things equal it should be more accurate. Its kinds of a joke to have the M4 barrel.....why you think they call it the M4gery.
JR

Under realistic conditions, the difference in accuracy between HBAR and M4 is non-existent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
that's what I figured just a cosmetic preference that doesn't make a difference.

I to think the Hbar 16" looks better more balanced and the midlength looks even better, harder to get those as easily as the standard CAR barrels though.

thanks for the feedback.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JR

Under realistic conditions, the difference in accuracy between HBAR and M4 is non-existent.

BIG PLUS 1

I have Both  14.7 Bushmaster HBAR and LMT 14.5 M4

I bought the LMT M4  because its lite and has a 1/7 twist!!

not the LOOKS thats STUPID TALK

I would like a LW 14.5 1/7 twist but couldnt find one??
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an M4 BBL because they were the one available when I was ordering my "no ban" upper.  I'm pretty sure my next will be a midlength (or pencil)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I myself love the look of the cutouts for the M203.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I myself love the look of the cutouts for the M203.

That's OK.  We understand.  You can still play with us even though you're wrong.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd prefer the HBAR 16"er with it turned down under the rail/handguards to an M4 profile for purely aesthetic reasons

But then again the M4 barrel is a Government profile barrel with an M203 cut-out

So we are referring to an M4 barrel without the M203 cut-out, right?

M4 barrel

Does anyone know if the barrel of the Colt LE6721 is turned under the GH?

If so, that would be just right if in 1/7
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would like a LW 14.5 1/7 twist but couldnt find one??

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=27

About halfway down the page, you will find what you are looking for.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd prefer the HBAR 16"er with it turned down under the rail/handguards to an M4 profile for purely aesthetic reasons

But then again the M4 barrel is a Government profile barrel with an M203 cut-out

So we are referring to an M4 barrel without the M203 cut-out, right?

M4 barrel

www.rguns.net/010/010_36_m4bbl_hr.jpg

Heavy throughout and 1/9

The AR-15A3 is an exceptional patrol rifle with tactical accuracy chosen by federal, state and local agencies. The 16.1" (40.9 cm) heavy barrel with 1 in 9" (229 mm) rifling twist allows flexibility in ammunition selection. The telescopic buttstock adjusts to four positions to enhance mobility and fit to a wider range of operators. In position the removable carrying handle provides an M16A4 target style sight adjustable for windage and elevation to 600 meters. Easily removable, the flat top upper receiver allows for easy mounting of optical, night vision and other tactical sighting systems. The tactical carbine is the answer to all the requirements of modern law enforcement.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

what's the benefits of having the M4 desinged barrel over just the 16" Hbar or 16" gov. profile? I ask because they're generally the same price or the M4 barrel is $5-$10 more. Assuming both can have feed ramps.

thanks.

-mark

+1 Like everyone said, it just have the mounting area for the M203 grenade launcher.

Usually it also have the M4 feedramps but some brands have it some don't.

The 16" HBAR and Gov't profile barrels also some brands have M4 feedramps and some don't.

My favorite type of 16" barrel is the LW profile, CAR gas system of my former pre-ban Lightweight Carbine.

I could carry it for a long period of time without getting too tired at the end of the day.

I have both 16" mid-length, mid-weight profile and M4 Gov't profile CAR barrels plus also a 20" A2 Gov't.

I'm planning to build a mid-length Gov't profile or a lightweight CAR barrel as a backup after I finish my current match upper project.

Quoted:

The Colt LE6721 are HBAR thick under the handguards and are 1/9.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally I don't give a damn for appearances.  I find the 14.5in M4 barrels to be a great balancing barrel.  I like pencil barrels, and will probably buy one soon (I wish you were making them Paul, to go with the rest of your line), however, I prefer the slight increase in weight of the M4 barrel.  My M4gery has gone through many variations, and currently is in a very simple configuration: 14.5in LMT barrel on a C7 receiver.  Simple, yet it balances incredibly.  Shortly I'll be adding a TA50R-2, for what I imagine will round out a great carbine.  Just need to finalize what I'll do to resolve the light mounting issue since the RAS has been removed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top