Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2006 2:25:57 PM EDT
An 18-20" Government Profile Barrel (Thin barrel with the extra machining is the Govt' profile?)
With a flat top A3 Reciever (detachable carry handle included)
Standard A2 Style Buttstock
Bird cage flash hider..

What I really want is the long barrel Old style AR (A1 or A2??) with the detachable carry handle so I can use an optic if I decide to.

I Really love plain jane 20" ARs but I wouildn't mind one a bit shorter than 20" and I'd really like the flat top reciever for mounting an optic... I can't stand the M4 style stocks..

So do any manufacturers sell that configuration or am I stuck building my own?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster, CMMG, Armalite and others have them

Here is the Bushmaster model that most closely fits your bill (below)

16" model

or (below) the venerable 20"er ............in A3 of course

Link

Here is the Government Profile barrel it uses (and you described it well)

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Now that I think of it, check out the Rock River Arms Mid-length AR!

It is 16" with a mid length gas system giving a rifle like site radius, A2 stock and beautiful finish

See it here-------> Click

or here (the lower one w/A2stock)

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Being a complete new guy when it comes to ARs what isthe benifit of the mid length gas system? I don't really see the difference in the shape of the gun so it must be internal...

then I'm left wondering what it has to do with the site radius??

Is the hand guard longer and so the front site block is further out on the same 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow the 16" bushmaster is exactly what I have a picture of in my head.

What does one of those cost new?

Any issues I should be aware of with bushmaster rifles?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Being a complete new guy when it comes to ARs what is the benefit of the mid length gas system? I don't really see the difference in the shape of the gun so it must be internal...

then I'm left wondering what it has to do with the site radius??

a mid length technically is only the position of the gas port, which is a distance in-between the length of a carbine and a rifle.

The benefit is an increased site radius which is easier to aim than short lengths (for many)

Some feel they look better also. The reason? Because the carbine barrel extends so far out beyond the FSB and is a bit un-natural looking. A mid-length lessens this effect.

Is the hand guard longer and so the front site block is further out on the same 16" barrel?

Yes, exactly

and

What does one of those cost new?

They are sold new for between $850 and $1,100, depending on source. There are several very reputable dealers here on the site.

Any issues I should be aware of with bushmaster rifles?

Not really. There have been some issues, but they are a good company and if you ever had any serious issue, they would make good on it.

I wouldn't worry about the quality, reliability of a new Bushmaster

You may consider looking at a second hand bushy, as many buy them and do not shoot them for whatever reason and are willing to sell for what will be a good buy for you

My suggestion would be an A3 over the A2 since it will allow you to keep options open for future optics and mount plans.

.........and I wouldn't knock collapsible stocks until you have tried/used/compared them to fixed. There are several very solid and comfortable models available and provide a fitted set-up.

YMMV

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#6]
My Attraction to the fixed stock is purely a looks thing.

I'm sure there are comfortable collapsable stocks. The standard fixed stock fits me like a glove, I like the look a lot better and it's cheaper!

Can't you swap out to a collapsable stock on a fixed stock equipped lower?

or would I need another lower for that?

Also....

I'm curious about the Old (A1?) style triangular handguards...

How hard is it to find the triangular handguards? Can they be had new?

I went through the pic post stickie and found VERY few with the triangular handguards and at least one I'm pretty sure is a FA M16.

I get the impression these handguards are impossible to get.

The deciding factor here will be if I can get a triangle handguard for the 20" Bushmaster with the fixed stock and a detachable carry handle I'll go for the 20".

If not I'll need to look at a few rifle length 20" and midlength 16" rifles with both the collapsable and fixed stocks to see which one I like best.

my buddy has a mid length colt HBAR target A3 reciever with a fixed stock Postban features... It's cool and it fits me like a glove but I miss the evil features and I don't like the look of the HBAR.

In my head it's either an old style 20" with the triangular handguards fixed stock and a detachable carry handle or it's gotta be a midlength 16" detachable carry handle and I'm undecided on the stock if I go midlength.

A lot of the collapsable stocks I see are unpleasent to the eye and I'm not sure exactly how they would fit. some look like the COULDN't fit..

The only AR I have trigger time on is the aformentioned fixed stock Colt..

One more question

Can you point me to said reputable dealers of Bushmaster products for my future reference?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top