Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 8:23:53 PM EDT
9mm AR owners and SBR AR owners.
In the next few months I am going to be buying a new rifle, here are the options I am considering

9mm AR with flatop maybe SBRing it later or buying it as an SBR. I have read and heard alot about issues with reliability and such. I want it to use on a pistol caliber only range. Never owned one any odd issues or maintenance gremlins that crop up alot? What is good, and what is to be avoided. What am I going to pay for it and 6-10 magazines?

SBR AR I already have scads of magazines and already have a RRA so adding a rail and eotech is no problem. Familiar with maintenance and issues.

Bushmaster m17s- Wife and I both liked the feel and interested in getting the work by the m17s guy Kurt done on it. Magazines and such again I already have plenty. Totaly new system from standard AR new maintenance to learn.

SBR receiver and adding 9mm as a caliber and swapping between 9mm and 556.

Any advice or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I really enjoy my 9mm SBR as its much more pleasurable to shoot indoors than my friends 10.3” CMMG 5.56 SBR.  Get what will serve your purposes the best.  My bit of advice would be against planning on registering a lower and swapping from 5.56 to 9mm or vice-versa.  Get it set up and leave it both for simplicity and for legal implications of having two short uppers around with one SBR lower and other AR-15’s.  I personally do not feel it is worth it when it only costs $250 or so (tax, photos, engraving, etc.) to register another lower and have two complete guns.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
9 mm barrels can be short, no gas blocks needed, so no gas issues. I have heard mix replies about 2 uppers and one SBR gun. Some say yes and some say no. Best thing U can do is send a letter to the ATF and ask about having more them one upper with a SBR. If your askingabout Colt 9mm mags they are not cheap around $50 each, I have 12 of them well worth it to me. U can try some of the Pro-mags  they work ok. Plus on the 223/9mm set up U will need to have a 9mm block in your lower to use the 9mm mags. This is what I am going thru my self, I am going to SBR two lowers one day.OUT. Tuna
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as mags go C-Products will be coming out with their own 9mm AR mags. I was told sometime in the next 6 months. So, SBR 2 lowers, and by the time they are approved you can build 2 (1 in 9mm and 1 in 5.56) dedicated guns. That is what I am doing. bigcraig out
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top