Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 2:57:24 PM EDT
Today was my first day with the Colt 6520. We set up targets in our usual area to simulate attacks from multiple directions and killed them. Good day all in all. I will never go back to heavy barrels again except for precision weapons

My SHTF and training combo. Perfect match

Me testing the balance of my RRA Entry Tactical vs Colt 6520 shooting targets about 75 yards away. By far the Colt balanced better, and didnt tire me out as fast. The RRA is very nose heavy and wears out your support arm after a couple of minutes in the ready position. The RRA soaked up recoil better though. An extra two pounds in the nose of the carbine will do that...

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Now THAT is a beautiful range!!!

Great pix, Variable................
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you some sort of super-tactical Blackwater-Delta-SEAL guy in real life, or do you just dress the part?  Nice shooter.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you some sort of super-tactical Blackwater-Delta-SEAL guy in real life, or do you just dress the part?  Nice shooter.  

I see absolutly nothing wrong with his attire...?

Nice pics!
reminds me of the High Desert here...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you got to enjoy yur toys, and a beautiful setup you have!  Colt rocks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
OT, but what kind of vest are you wearing?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It's about damn time you bought a Colt!  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OT, but what kind of vest are you wearing?

It's by Leapers. Model PVC-V547ET Woodland Digital Camo, with matching thigh rig  PVC-H178E
Woodland Digital Camo. Very comfortable and durable. It's a sleeper. Most people automatically go with blackhawk stuff, but I personally prefer the leapers gear, and this model vest can be worn in all seasons. You get much more for the money as well

links for info:
www.leapers.com/pages/tactical%20armor/utg.htm
www.leapers.com/pages/tactical%20armor/utg.htm

Quoted:
It's about damn time you bought a Colt!  

True. Worth every penny. I couldnt be happier
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagged
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice range.

I wish there were more choices in lightweight barrels .  The 6520 should serve well though
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Almost everything I do now is scenario based in a remote expansive environment. There is lots of running, stalking, crawling, going prone and all that. My gear makes that easier

The Shemagh is the most versatile thing you have carry with you. Today I used it for a scarf because it was snowing lightly and chilly. It kept my ears and nose warm. It also keeps the sun off your face, neck and head, and can be used as a gun wrap.

Camo hoody: It was cold

Vest: how else do you carry mags and ammo

Thigh rig: During speed drills I transition better from a thigh holster than a waist holster

Hydration back: Running makes you thirsty and I dont want to walk a couple of miles back to the car for a drink. Canteens are for boy scouts

Knee pads: See all those rocks on the ground, they hurt when you kneel on them

Gloves: cold outside, better grip, fingers not cut up by brush and rocks, no sore reload thumb. Carbine fiber armor on knuckles in case you need to go down swinging

During range days I'm Jeans and T-shirt guy because their is no need for high speed gear then.

Also, You'll notice I varied the camo pattern. Utah topography varies greatly as you can see from the pics. Various camo patterns allows me to stalk on more terrain when we play out "find the stalker trying to shoot the steel plate" and you dont have a Ghillie Suit.

Take a peak at this thread and see for reference on how people gear up for situations.

Pics of AR15's in Action
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that 5 mile pass?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
What type of knee pads are those?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is that 5 mile pass?

I'm not a native Utahn so my UT geography isnt that great. I do know that we were a few miles past Ceder Fort, and then used dirt roads to find a secluded spot towards the hills
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

K2. Few years old
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is that 5 mile pass?

I'm not a native Utahn so my UT geography isnt that great. I do know that we were a few miles past Ceder Fort, and then used dirt roads to find a secluded spot towards the hills

Well that is 5 mile pass and restricted to OHVs only, no shooting. There are posted signs near the main parking areas.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is that 5 mile pass?

Well that is 5 mile pass and restricted to OHVs only, no shooting. There are posted signs near the main parking areas.

Park Ranger stopped to talk. He just said dont hang targets on the junipers, something to do with protecting the habitat, and drove off. Guess he didnt see a problem. Or maybe it wasnt 5 mile pass. Like I said my Utah geography isnt that good, and I wasnt driving

I'll bring a GPS just for your benefit in the future.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

K2. Few years old

Where did you get them?  How do they work?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
In the desert or wide open terrain areas like that, can you set up targets without asking anyone?  You arn't allowed to discharge rifles in my county unless you're at a range so I would have never thought of doing that.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In the desert or wide open terrain areas like that, can you set up targets without asking anyone?  You arn't allowed to discharge rifles in my county unless you're at a range so I would have never thought of doing that.  

Around here, on public land, you can shoot wherever you want.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

K2. Few years old

Where did you get them?  How do they work?

Paragon sports in NYC like 4 years ago. K2 offers a similar model but mine are discontinued. They fasten with velco and pull through loops to secure them under heavy use. I tried a friends Alta Tactical knee pads but they cut off the circualation to my legs. Knee pads made for athletes never caused this problem for me, so the K2's is what I've stuck with. They're comfortable for long periods

www.paragonsports.com/

These might be the current version of mine:

www.k2skates.com/product/accessory.asp?productid=38

Quoted:

Some places yes but not all. And it depends on what rangers are on duty. Some are strict and some talk guns with you. And you live too close to NYC
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice setup.  What's the make on those gloves?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'll bring a GPS just for your benefit in the future.

How about for the benefit of the people who ride OHV's out there? You know, the people who left all of those tires tracks on every trail in the pictures you posted.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Nice setup.  What's the make on those gloves?

Italian company called Acerbis. If I wasnt so lazy I'd dye all the white portions black. One day I'll get around to it. Hopefully SHTF doesnt happen first

www.acerbis.it/
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Great pics, It sounds  like the Colt worked like a dream
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#27]
[Counter Strike]Terrorists win![/Counter Strike]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Man, I wish there were ranges like that in Wisconsin!  Nice firearms!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top