Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:37:56 AM EDT
Hey guys,

A real weird thing happened right before I came in from shooting. I had 3 misfires in 8 rounds (didn't fire the other 22 rounds). Ammo was XM193 Lot-091, I’ve had that ammo for about a year, sitting in plastic incase of SHTF situation.

Previously to firing from that mag I had fired 4 mags of American Eagle and 1 mag of Wolf. Flawless, all worked fine through a 16” Stag with brand new suppressor.

Just wondering what it could have been, coincidence, suppressor or bad lot? I’ve fired around 500 rounds of Lot-091 without any problems in the past, but that was using my Bushmaster.

Weapon was a Stag 16” with less than 500 rounds through it.
Brand new Gemtech M4-02 suppressor
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That mag is now your new paper weight.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
3 misfires or 3 misfeeds or FTF? Huge difference there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope the zombies dont come for you tonight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
3 misfires or 3 misfeeds or FTF? Huge difference there.

Yeah, if it was a misfire I don't think magazine or supressor or upper would have much to do with it. I'm guessing either bad ammo or light primer strikes?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
One suggestion - check your firing pin protrusion.  I had a similar malfuction once with a newish build, shot commercial ammo fine but military ammo had numerous FTFs.  Firing pin wasn't protruding enough past the bolt face to reliably ignite the harder military primers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One suggestion - check your firing pin protrusion.  I had a similar malfuction once with a newish build, shot commercial ammo fine but military ammo had numerous FTFs.  Firing pin wasn't protruding enough past the bolt face to reliably ignite the harder military primers.

Thanks I will check that out. This was a brand new Stag upper and I don't have any experience with their uppers, built a lot of lowers though.

All 3 rounds showed the firing pin struck them. Maybe I will go pick them up and compare them to other spent shells and see if there is any difference in how deep the impression is?

Wierd stuff, the American Eagle and the Wolf ran flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
How were they stored? Any chance of oil getting on the rounds in storage and getting through insufficient sealing? If the primer strikes look good then it sure sounds like bad ammo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How were they stored? Any chance of oil getting on the rounds in storage and getting through insufficient sealing? If the primer strikes look good then it sure sounds like bad ammo.

This was one of my SHTF mags, I had them sitting on top of my gun safe in those clear plastic mag holder bags. I didn't have the zip locked sealed though. Possibly a small amount of oil from inside the mag could have gotten on them but not a lot.

3 misfires in 8 rounds is crazy. I'm going to test those rounds in a Bushmaster AR tommorow. If the Bushmaster fires the last 22 with np then it's back to testing the Stag upper with more XM193.

WIERD
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
... Possibly a small amount of oil from inside the mag could have gotten on them but not a lot.

It only takes a small amount of oil to deactivate a primer and CLP is very good at finding it's way into everything.

Magazines should not be wet (or even damp) with oil.  Wipe them dry after cleaning them THEN load them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I never use CLP om l my mags!  

I like mine dry!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top