Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2006 7:55:44 PM EDT
Ok guys fill me in...the PIGTAIL gas tube from M16 Clinic…advantages...disadvantages. Why do they say do not exceed forty rounds per minute ROF? Why can you not use Hydraulic Buffers?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you trying to fix?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
nothing just wondering what it does
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The intent of the pigtail is to delay the gas impulse to cylce the bolt.  Rifle gas systems, are (usually) more forgiving and more reliable than carbine length systems.  Too, they're less harsh on the brass and in recoil.  So, the theory on the pigtail is to slow the impulse down on carbines to better match those of rifle systems and likewise in rifle systems, slow them down.

It makes sense in theory, but know of no competition shooters that I go against in 3-Gun that use them.  That's not to say that they're not being used, I just don't know anyone that does.  We've got other ways of reducing impulse.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
So why can't you use the Hydraulic Buffer or exceed forty RPM?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top