BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:54:46 PM EDT
I have a stock Bushmaster A2 buttstock. Is there a special way of inserting the buffer spring? It wasn't doing the "sproingggg" noise before. I'm thinking I might have put it in the wrong way?

My Bushie M4, does not make the "sproinggg" noise at all.

Thanks, Charlie.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
it should "sproing".  the sproing is your friend.  that is all.

--VT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Question is asked about once a week so I know the answer... Grease it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Just take the spring out, you don't need it anyway.
But seriously, I think most of them do that anyway; you'd have to try real hard to put that spring and buffer in "wrong".
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Put CLP into the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Question is asked about once a week so I know the answer... Grease it.

or that..

--VT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
<duuh> I should've known, searched for it. Seems to be a feature, not a bug hehehe.

How come I never noticed it before? and my DPMS 308 does not have that "sproing" noise?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I never noticed it until about 150 or so rounds through my Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
What does a Hydrolic Buffer Unit Sound like? "Sshhhh"? I remember seeing one in the Oly Arms Catalog...

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get used to it.
It is part and parcel to the AR esperience.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#11]
MGI Military sells a 'Super 2X' reciol spring. Quote from their web site:

"Our SUPER 2X Recoil spring is unique in that it is made from music wire. This not only increases the strength of the recoil spring more then 2 times that of a conventional recoil spring but also gets rid of that annoying ?bong? sound made by the traditional steel spring."

-sounds good, but its a little pricy, $30.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Slightly off topic, how do I get the brass marks off of my brass deflector?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

felt is actually the preferred preventative measure after the fact you are SOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I shot an M1A for years.  Had never shot a AR.  First time I shot my buddies and heard that sproing noise I thought WTF now I own 3 AR's

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
EVERY TIME I PULL THE TRIGGER BULLETS FLY OUT THE FRONT HOW DO I STOP THEM??? SPROING!!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just take the spring out, you don't need it anyway.
But seriously, I think most of them do that anyway; you'd have to try real hard to put that spring and buffer in "wrong".

Wasn't hard for me. I just put it in sideways. Fit was poor, but at least I proved you wrong.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
My old Bushmaster's "sproingggg" warmed my heart; it reminded me of the soind my childhood Daisy "red-rider" style BB gun made.  My USMC issued Colt M16A2 didn't sproing right; it reminded me of a real nice RWS air rifle - still good.

-Semper Yut

Quoted:
I shot an M1A for years.  Had never shot a AR.  First time I shot my buddies and heard that sproing noise I thought WTF now I own 3 AR's

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My A1 does this to !
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Buddy assembled his rifle, forgot to put in the buffer and spring and the first time he pulled on the charging handle the bolt just went straight back and got stuck in the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#20]
"Sproing"?
Don't embarrass yourself, man
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Buddy assembled his rifle, forgot to put in the buffer and spring and the first time he pulled on the charging handle the bolt just went straight back and got stuck in the buffer tube.

Happened to my once. I felt very un-smart afterwards and learned something
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT

huh?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT

huh?

exactly
the buffer tube will turn into a filthy mess
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Hows a group return to all major AR manufacturer's due to this sproing sound sound?

Sending my bushy back 2maro because bullets fly out of the barrel

just messin man, its normal
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sending my bushy back 2maro because bullets fly out of the barrel

Holy crap you too?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

kinda hard to remove those brass marks, but you can try a decent gun cleaner solvent.

on the other hand, you can do what I do, apply a thin piece of rubber on the deflector. Clean any grease or solvents off the deflector and then use a glue like rubber cement to attach a piece of rubber to it. Its not permanent, but it works fantastically.

You can also get some single sided sticky tape as it works great as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WOLF
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT

huh?

exactly

Any excess oil will simply drain out the buttstock through the Drain Hole though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT

huh?

exactly

Any excess oil will simply drain out the buttstock through the Drain Hole though.

and the remaining oil will be a dirt magnet
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT

huh?

exactly

Thats why you are supposed to clean the buffer tube out each time you clean your rifle. Or at least according to the Bushmaster manual you are.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
DO NOT OIL OR GREASE IT

huh?

exactly

Thats why you are supposed to clean the buffer tube out each time you clean your rifle. Or at least according to the Bushmaster manual you are.

cleans much easier when there is no oil in it
ETA: your not supposed to lube it anyway
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I put grease in mine. Dont put to much or it will sqeeze out past the plunger and into the lower. Don't ask me how I know this. I did this on my first AR and was'nt used to the spring noise and someone said that grease would quiet it down.

Now I jus have a thin coating, it seems quieter. I have not put any on the other 2 AR's though. I've gotten used to and like the sound.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Sproing is good!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just use some of the solvent that dissolves copper. I usually take one of the patches I have run through the bore thats not to dirty and wipe the brass marks off. Comes right off.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#36]
The more you shoot it, your mind will get used to hearing "sproing" and it won't be so obvious.  
I know mine still makes the noise (had somone else shoot it, they hear it), but I've heard it so much that I don't notice it anymore.

Also, if you LIGHTLY put some oil or CLP on the spring, it'll take alot of it away.  A tiny bit is all it takes.  Maybe A drop on your finger, and then apply with your finger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#37]
You can try a Tubb AR recoil spring.  The sproing doesn't go away, but it's not as noticeable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#39]

I don't understand why some people would unecessarily start oiling or greasing rifle parts because of a slight NOISE.     Since it is NOT a defect, but in fact the way the rifle just happens to sound, why in the world would you try to "fix" it by adding grease or oil to a part of the rifle that is not required.

Are you guys recommending greasing Garand clips too, to avoid the sound when it ejects?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#40]
When I'm shooting rapid fire on a line of 25+ guys, that "sprong" is the only thing other than counting my rounds that tell me when I'm done. You'll be shooting along: Sprong,.....sprong....spoink and when you don't hear the spring spring back up that's when you know.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#41]
That sproing is the sound of happyness.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#42]
The very first AR I shot was an M16 in basic, and I was certain that the trainee before me reassembled the weapon incorrectly when I heard the sproing.

My exact thought was also "WTF"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#43]
It's supposed to do that. Leave it be. Do not oil or grease the spring.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I have an Enidine buffer in one of my carbines. It seems to tame the spring noise to a degree, but there is still a spring, and so there is still noise. Learn to appreciate it, unless you do away with the spring, you will always have the noise.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#45]
the sproing is good.... but colts seem to be louder.  SPRIONG, SPRIONG, JAM!   RRA is much quieter much better.  spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong, spriong spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong,  spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong. replace empty mag.        spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong, spriong spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong,  spriong, sproing sproing, spriong, spriong. replace empty mag.   lol J/K  lol J/K

Ronnie that's for  you
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#46]
My buffer tube actually sings "We welcome you to Munchkinland" when I pull the trigger. CLP just makes it hard to understand the words.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey did you guys remember to set your clocks?
You know the saying: sproing foward
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#48]

For all of you that actually answered his question, this is whats known as a "joke" because these 2 questions get asked about once a week and the answer to both is the same: it is normal.
the sproing is normal, if you don't like it that much maybe try a different weapon, or shoot with no plugs, then you can't hear it (again, a joke)
Brass marks are normal and if little brass marks worry you that much you should just keep your rifle in the safe otherwise you may scratch it somewhere else too...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hey did you guys remember to set your clocks?
You know the saying: sproing foward

Try the veal.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#50]
The sproing is designed in to remind you that you actually DID put your recoil spring back in the last time you cleaned your rifle.

7th
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top