Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 9:18:59 AM EDT
Ok So I ordered a 16" Mid length Gov't profile upper Upper from CMMG, Lets just say  Customer service is absolutely fantastic. For some reason Something I ordered must have been out of stock, So my upper Arrived 2nd day air and with a considerable Upgrade on it which I didnt order. I have inquired to ask If i can go ahead and pay for it, And have NOT gotten a response. The nerve of some people!!
I needed this upper quick and mailed my MO Express mail. Seeng that My upper would not make it in time for the weekend class, Im taking, CMMG took it upon themselves to ship it 2nd day air. Its here and the Morning Exercise / shooting class has gone perfect so far. 600 rounds gone and not a single failure out of a bran new upper, THATS WHAT IM TALKNG ABOUT.!!!!!!
BTW CMMG, Lot of the guys are Impressed with this build , Better get ready for Monday's orders!!!!!
Ok Ok Ok  already here are some pics, sans TA31 and LaRue <ount and the Troy BUIS (on order)
(I borrowed my Brother In lawas camera, just for you all.. )

As for the Upgrade, I really dont want to say just exactly what it was with out permission.

CMMG Upper Complete with MI Free Float rail. "F" Marked front site base.
Bushy Lower
CAA Collapsible 6 pos. Stock (the new Funk!)
TD furniture. Coyote
TA31F and LaRue 4DOS mount (not pictured)
Troy BUIS (on Order)

chuck
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Just bought a CMMG mid medcon upper, very impressed.  Excellent customer service and extremely fast turnaround.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, CMMG is top notch.  I've got one of their uppers and love it.  They'll be getting more business from me, no doubt about it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm shopping so this is good intel!  THANKS!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#5]
CMMG is a top-notch organization.  I have a M4 clone from them, and I REALLY appreciated the opportunity to customize the order so I didn't have to "repurchase" pieces afterwards!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok where do I get one?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok So I ordered a 16" Mid length Gov't profile upper Upper from CMMG, Lets just say  Customer service is absolutely fantastic. For some reason Something I ordered must have been out of stock, So my upper Arrived 2nd day air and with a considerable Upgrade on it which I didnt order. I have inquired to ask If i can go ahead and pay for it, And have NOT gotten a response. The nerve of some people!!his
BTW CMMG, Lot of the guys are Impressed with this build , Better get ready for Monday's orders!!!!!hischuck

Congrats! Look forward to some pics. Do you know if they HPT and MP test their barrels like BCM and Colt do?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Their barrels are tested, but I don't know if their current bolts are...(my older bolt isn't)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Their barrels are tested, but I don't know if their current bolts are...(my older bolt isn't)

Do they HPT test before the MP test? If they don't HPT test prior to MP testing then the MP testing is worthless.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Give 'em a buzz...I'm sure they can answer any questions you might have.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
They do make it hard to go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah, CMMG is top notch.  

+1

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]
let's see pics of this Considerable Upgrade!!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Their customer service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup CMMG is the shit!

I ordered a M4 profile barrel from them, absolutely beautiful! everything droped right in durring the build. VERY VERY accurate even with surplus ball ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Do they use milspec receiver extensions with their telestocks? Dremel feed ramps?  What other companies offer 14.7 inch barrels/uppers?  TIA.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do they use milspec receiver extensions with their telestocks? Dremel feed ramps?  What other companies offer 14.7 inch barrels/uppers?  TIA.

The M4 feedramps on mine look incredibly professionally done.  Definitely not hackjobs like some other manufacturers.  Not sure about the receiver extension since my lower is a Stag, but the upper is CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
YEP- CMMG is top notch  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a pistol upper on order from CMMG, and it's been delayed a bit because they didn't have the rail system I wanted. (samson carbine rail).  It's been a week now, so hopefully they'll get it built and shipped out to me soon.  I have a feeling that they've become more popular lately, and having a little difficulty keeping up.  (really, I'm just anxious to get my upper) h.gif

I talked with them on the phone and they were very nice.  They also seem pretty flexibly when it comes to special requests.

When I get my upper, I'll be able to make my final verdict.  But, so far dealing with them has been pleasant.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a 18" 1:8 twist, medium weight, with full length gas sys.  I cannot wait
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Good question. Does anyone know if their barrel extensions are stamped M4?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question. Does anyone know if their barrel extensions are stamped M4?

Ramps are anodized(we also offer extended polished)  In the next 30 days we will have the option of mil-spec diameter tubes(they are just finishing up).  We will continue to offer the commercial diameter as well.

Cool and thanks! Can you also tell us if you HPT test your barrels?

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#26]
pics.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ok where do I get one?

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
We are not HP testing at this time.

Thank you for your honesty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 for CMMG's customer service. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I picked up a 9mm carbine from them and the fit and finish is great, John is a pleasure to work with. Think I'll have to call them soon and order a MI set of hand gaurds. Either that or a FF from MI.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok the pics are posted above in ordginal post. I cant really say what the "Upgrade" was but lets just say Im happy as hell with it and I love the Continuous rail on top with the MI FF tube.

I have a Troy on order for the BUIS and The TA31F in a Larue is in the safe.

My Bolt is Not marked MP tested

Im not sure about the HP testing, I thought the barrel  is MP tested though, according to the web site. Even if not, I dont think its that crutial considering the quality.
I dont think Bushy, Armalite, or most others MP test, do they? Ive never seen any of my rifles marked that way?
Now I just need to get to the range.
chuck
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ok the pics are posted above in ordginal post. I cant really say what the "Upgrade" was but lets just say Im happy as hell with it and I love the Continuous rail on top with the MI FF tube.have
Im not sure about the HP testing, I thought everything else is MP tested though according to the web site.
I dont think it really matters that much, Now I just need to get to the range.
chuck

The Military requires HPT testing before MP testing. If you don't HPT the bolt and barrel then you are not stressing them in order to find cracks (which is what MP testing does). To the best of my knowledge, only Colt and BCM do this.

Is it important to the everday plinker? Most likely not. Is it important to the Military/LE community? You betcha!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Miltary maybe , But I dont know about LE for most officers and applications, How many Bushy, RRA, and Armalite rifles do you see in LE circles? A SHIT LOAD!!! Im very confident this rifle and barel, will hold up to any abuse I throw at it. BTW, Im not a Plinker, Ill be running this with a SHIT load of M855 ball and MK262, we'll see, but Im not worried.

chuck
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I talked to the folks at the CMMG table at a local gun show today and I have to echo what everyone is saying.  The folks there are top notch!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought a 7.3" complete pistol from them recently. Let's just say that the customer service and the product are both top-notch.  I feel another CMMG purchase coming on soon.  BRD
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Purchased a 6.8SPC mid-length upper, quik to ship, great product, and the warranty is second to none.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Miltary maybe , But I dont know about LE for most officers and applications, How many Bushy, RRA, and Armalite rifles do you see in LE circles? A SHIT LOAD!!! Im very confident this rifle and barel, will hold up to any abuse I throw at it. BTW, Im not a Plinker, Ill be running this with a SHIT load of M855 ball and MK262, we'll see, but Im not worried.

chuck

Depends on the LE group. I would bet you will find more Colt's than any other company.

The spec is there for a reason. I guess I look at this way. Company A has an upper for $400. Company B has an upper for $400. Company A follows all the military guidlines and reqs. Company B follows some of them. They are priced the same, but one company jumps through a lot more hoops to provide a better product.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#37]
The Barrels are MPC tested as per web site and marking on my barrel. The Bolt is not.
Are you talking more about the bolt or barrel.? Barrel is marked under handguard. CMMG MPC 556 NATO 1/7
chuck
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok the pics are posted above in ordginal post. I cant really say what the "Upgrade" was but lets just say Im happy as hell with it and I love the Continuous rail on top with the MI FF tube.

Im not sure about the HP testing, I thought everything else is MP tested though according to the web site.
chuck

The Military requires HPT testing before MP testing. If you don't HPT the bolt and barrel then you are not stressing them in order to find cracks (which is what MP testing does). To the best of my knowledge, only Colt and BCM do this.

Is it important to the everday plinker? Most likely not. Is it important to the Military/LE community? You betcha!

Mag particle will still find discontinuities even if the barrel is not HP tested.  Correct...HPT COULD help reveal additional discontinuities.  Keep in mind, mag particle testing does not reveal internal discontinuities.  Nothing is 100%.

I myself would put more faith in knowing the proper heat treat was acheived.  That may be one of the functions of HPT.  I do not know.  

Non Destructive Testing is my profession.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The Barrels are MPC tested as per web site and marking on my barrel. The Bolt is not.
Are you talking more about the bolt or barrel.? Barrel is marked under handguard. CMMG MPC 556 NATO 1/7
chuck

Talking both as they BOTH need to be proof loaded before they are MP tested.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok the pics are posted above in ordginal post. I cant really say what the "Upgrade" was but lets just say Im happy as hell with it and I love the Continuous rail on top with the MI FF tube.have
chuck

Mag particle will still find discontinuities even if the barrel is not HP tested.  Correct...HPT COULD help reveal additional discontinuities.  Keep in mind, mag particle testing does not reveal internal discontinuities.  Nothing is 100%.

I myself would put more faith in knowing the proper heat treat was acheived.  That may be one of the functions of HPT.  I do not know.  

Yes it can, but you want to stress the barrel first to verify that it can take it. The question to ask is what is the acceptance criteria of an MP test? Does CMMG reject a barrel if it has a  small fracture in it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Newbie here!

I've heard of Colt but I've never heard of BCM, who are they?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Newbie here!

I've heard of Colt but I've never heard of BCM, who are they?

Bravo Company Manufacturing. Bravo Company is a site sponsor and came out with their own barrels and uppers. Paul from Bravo Company wanted to offer a barrel that meets military specs without breaking our checking accounts.

Several dealers on the board sell BCM uppers but depending on where you are in VA you should check out G&R Tactical. They are located in the Hampton Roads area.

I have a BCM upper and an older CMMG upper. I understand why everyone wants the HPT-MPI but is it necessary for most people? I'm willing to bet it's not. IMO it's more a 'want' than a 'need' for most people but YMMV.

My CMMG upper has several training classes and 8500 rounds through it without a hiccup and so far my BCM upper (750 rounds) has been perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

chuck

Yes it can, but you want to stress the barrel first to verify that it can take it. The question to ask is what is the acceptance criteria of an MP test? Does CMMG reject a barrel if it has a  small fracture in it?

People would be shocked to learn that most acceptance criteria allow discontinuities.  They are not defect free.   Size is usually the determining factor. Certan types of defect are rejected regardless of size.  Logically cracks, seams, hot tears, bursts etc....depending if you are inspecting castings, forgings, weldments etc.. Concerning barrels, I do not know what the criteria is, Could be a Class I Grade A  I do not know.

Actually, I have x-rayed many, many AR15 triggers and bolt catches.  We do it for "in-process control"  meaning that while they are being made you sample a lot and inspect.  Defect free....not!

I have noticed that over the years that customer auditors from companies such as Boeing, Honeywell, Lockheed and what is called NADCAP (national aerospace and defense contractors accredidation program) have put much more focus on heat treating.  If heat treat was improper the NDT results are meaningless.  

It would be interesting if someone on this site who has actually done mag on barrels and bolts could chime in and let us know what the procedure and criteria is.  I am assuming it is wet mag that is being done.....anyone?.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Actually, the vendors on this site whom are outsourcing barrels etc for mag inspection should be specifying the acceptance criteria the test lab is to use.  It is not the job of the test lab and inspectors to determine what is acceptable.  It is the customer requesting that the work be done.

Possibly CMMG could help us out here??
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

chuck

People would be shocked to learn that most acceptance criteria allow discontinuities.  They are not defect free.   Size is usually the determining factor. Certan types of defect are rejected regardless of size.  Logically cracks, seams, hot tears, bursts etc....depending if you are inspecting castings, forgings, weldments etc.. Concerning barrels, I do not know what the criteria is, Could be a Class I Grade A  I do not know.

Actually, I have x-rayed many, many AR15 triggers and bolt catches.  We do it for "in-process control"  meaning that while they are being made you sample a lot and inspect.  Defect free....not!

I have noticed that over the years that customer auditors from companies such as Boeing, Honeywell, Lockheed and what is called NADCAP (national aerospace and defense contractors accredidation program) have put much more focus on heat treating.  If heat treat was improper the NDT results are meaningless.  

It would be interesting if someone on this site who has actually done mag on barrels and bolts could chime in and let us know what the procedure and criteria is.  I am assuming it is wet mag that is being done.....anyone?.

Yeah, I was going to chime in about aircraft engines, which you kind of already did.  Parts on these engines have an acceptable allowance for cracks, chips, etc before replacement is required.  Aircraft engines for God sake!!!  Like the ones our military uses in their multi-million dollar planes.  So why are we so worried about these bolts?  How many of you have actually busted a bolt?  And for the few of you that have, I'll bet the round count was real high.  Doesn't Colt say to replace the bolt every 5,000 rounds?

Honestly, I don't think it's that big an issue whether you're military, LE, or a plinker.  You guys on ARFcom here nitpick too much .
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Is that a Magpul Stock?  

That's the first time I've seen one on someone's rifle...

Nice!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#47]
+1, on Customer service, they shipped the wrong product to me, after I called about it they sent out the correct product same day and threw in a small goodie for the slip up. Great company.   Being a Missourian, I am proud to have an AR "Made in MO".
Thanx CMMG.

Heres the AR I built on their lower.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Is that a Magpul Stock?  

That's the first time I've seen one on someone's rifle...

Nice!

No its a CAA stock New item bein offered here:CAA stock

Its robust as hell, feels about the same weight as a MP M93B But I dont have one anymore to compare. has a 4 C123 battery storage Compartment.  No Rattle.

chuck
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Actually, the vendors on this site whom are outsourcing barrels etc for mag inspection should be specifying the acceptance criteria the test lab is to use.  It is not the job of the test lab and inspectors to determine what is acceptable.  It is the customer requesting that the work be done.

Possibly CMMG could help us out here??

This is correct. Having talked with Paul at BCM, he rejects any & every barrel that has a stress fracture in it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top