Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:04:12 PM EDT
I have a chrome bolt carrier and bolt. After owning the rifle a month, the chrome BC sticks out like a turd in punch bowl when the dust cover is open. Of course I figured it would but just bugs me now since it's the only thing on the rifle that isn't black that can be seen. Just wondering if there's any way to darken it that will last. If not, then I may wind up trading it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet you could easily trade it on the Equipment Exchange for a new black one.

There are plenty of people who haven't come to your conclusion yet.

If I need something blackened, I use a black permanent marker and I call it "sharpie-anodizing", but I don't think I'd try that on a bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I sent you an IM about your carrier.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know WHY you have a chromed bolt carrier.  

They're worse than regular bolt carriers, as they can put significant extra wear inside upper receivers.  Military got rid of chromed b/c assy's in 1960s due to this.  And the funny thing is, many of the current crop of chromed bolt carriers are _not _ chrome-lined on the inside where the bolt goes (which is the way a milspec carrier should be.   So many of these carrier mfgrs made the bolt doubly worse!!

Sell your chromed carrier to some other sucker and just get a good std carrier from a reputable company (Colt, Bushmaster, Stag/CMT, Armalite, etc.)  These quality milspec carriers will be chrome-lined inside where the carrier accepts the bolt and will have a dull finish on outside.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top