Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:01:49 PM EDT
I've shot about 90 shots through my chrome-lined 16", and then cleaned when I got home.

Shot another 100, and then cleaned when I got home that day.

Should I be cleaning this often since it is new?  I'd love to get out of cleaning my bore tomorrow after I shoot because it's a pain in the ass.

So talk me out of it ;)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Chrome lined barrels can take a beating, its really not necessary to give your barrel a good scrubbing until your groups start to suffer, usually a thousand rounds later, run a bore snake with some CLP through it every 300+ rounds or so.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Chrome lined barrels can take a beating, its really not necessary to give your barrel a good scrubbing until your groups start to suffer, usually a thousand rounds later, run a bore snake with some CLP through it every 300+ rounds or so.  

Alright thanks.  I'll hold off until I go to the range again on the 1st.  Probably 300 rounds or so later
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
my friend has run 700 rounds of wolf thru his bushmaster in one sitting and put it away with out cleaning it. it didnt give him any problems the next trip out to the range.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
my friend has run 700 rounds of wolf thru his bushmaster in one sitting and put it away with out cleaning it. it didnt give him any problems the next trip out to the range.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:50:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Years ago guys around here ran their ARs till they stopped, placing thousands (3K+) of rounds thru their rifles without cleaning them.

The round counts noted by those above ain't shit.

Mike

ps - YMMV, I was always taught to keep my firearms clean.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a friend who doesn't clean his but a couple times a year or if he has a problem.  It will still run with no problems.  Of course I'm not  talking cover your shots up with a dime at 100 yards.  Most of it is practice and CQB type 3 gun matches.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Gotcha.  Well that's nice to know.

As you can tell, I'm fairly new to firearms, but I always clean my guns after I'm done using them.  For the money I spent, I want them looking nice, and functioning the way they should.

But at least I can skip cleaning the bore once in a while, since that's the messiest and most time consuming.

Everything else will get a good scrubbing though.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top