Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:59:05 PM EDT
I just cut down a front sight base into a low profile gas block. Just for shits and giggles I put a dab of Aluminum Black on the bare metal and it blackened it right up. Anyone know if this will protect the steel gas block or should it be refinished? I have only used AB on aluminum so I wasn't sure. i was surprised it turned black though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you put a light coat of oil on the areas you put the AB on. The stuff will make steel rust.  If you are happy with the way it looks, no need to refinish.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Aluminum black only works on aluminum. You need liquid or paste bluing for the steel gas block.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Aluminum black only works on aluminum. You need liquid or paste bluing for the steel gas block.

I’ve never tried it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Alumablack has some what of a reaction to steel as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I put it on there witha  cotton swab and tehn wiped it off. I then coated it with CLP and it looks as black as the rest of the barrel. I was just wondering if this coating would hurt or help with rust protection.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I put it on there witha  cotton swab and tehn wiped it off. I then coated it with CLP and it looks as black as the rest of the barrel. I was just wondering if this coating would hurt or help with rust protection.

If you keep it oiled, of course it will help.

Try scratching it off with your fingernail and tell me what level of protection you think you'll have.

I'm not impressed with ALuminum Black even on aluminum.

efxguy
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Rinse the area with hot water then dry, use CLP, should be OK. The salts are still there till you wash them off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't scrape,scratch or wash off in water or when using brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I ran out of GunKote so I got a  can of Rust Oleum High Heat spary enamel. Says good up to 1200 degrees. Hell, its just the gas block so what the hell. Its all going to be covered  up with a FF rail anyway. I guess if people can Krylon an entire rifle this little ole gas block should be fine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top