Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:18:36 PM EDT
After comming to the conclusion that I cannot make it on one AR alone, I have decided to "build" a  AR based precision rifle. No competition use here, just small to mid size vermin hunting and casual plinking.
After looking at the options out there, I keep comming back to the DPMS .308. The price is definitely a nice feature, as is the extra "boom" Question is this: Why wouldnt I get the .308 over a 5.56 platform?  I understand the cost of ammo, size of ammo, cant carry as much in a SHTF situation, ect. Also, bear in mind that even though a set up 5.56 may outshoot a box stock DMPS .308, I just dont have the skill to outshoot any of these rifles
Im pretty well set as far as SHTF guns are concerned, so this will be pretty much a dedicated rifle, never pulling double duty as a CQB weapon (Considering you would attempt that with a 24in barell)
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the DPMS .308 IS the rifle for you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been thinking about the DPMS lately as well. I'm still waiting to hear more on reliability though. The AP4 (M4 styled) rifle seems to have people raving over it. Throw on a 16" midlength stainless barrel and a Daniel Defense 14.0 and I think it'd be sweet.

I'll just wait it out though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The ONLY reason I would say not to go to the AR10/.308 platform is that it is newer to the manufacturers at this point.  Not real encouraging that Bushmaster gave up on it either.  You can never have too many AR15 lowers IMO and you could do .20 tac, .204, or .223 for the varminting.  Or go up to the 6.8mm SPC or 6.5 Grendel.  Do you reload?  If you just buy ammo, .223 is probably your cheapest route.  My .02
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about the DPMS lately as well. I'm still waiting to hear more on reliability though. The AP4 (M4 styled) rifle seems to have people raving over it. Throw on a 16" midlength stainless barrel and a Daniel Defense 14.0 and I think it'd be sweet.

I'll just wait it out though.

I am looking at the 24in model, dont know if anyone saw it, but there was a complete test of it in last months American Rifleman, where it was pulling consistiant sub MOA groups with pretty average ammo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The ONLY reason I would say not to go to the AR10/.308 platform is that it is newer to the manufacturers at this point.  Not real encouraging that Bushmaster gave up on it either.  You can never have too many AR15 lowers IMO and you could do .20 tac, .204, or .223 for the varminting.  Or go up to the 6.8mm SPC or 6.5 Grendel.  Do you reload?  If you just buy ammo, .223 is probably your cheapest route.  My .02

I wasnt aware that Bushmaster nixed the idea, would you happen to know why they bailed on it?
Also, how long has the ar10/.308 AR platform been out?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wasnt aware that Bushmaster nixed the idea, would you happen to know why they bailed on it?

Due to low sales and some bad designing of the bolt, Bushmaster dumped it. Rock River originally designed it, so now they're picking it up. Retail price is alot lower than what Bushmaster charged, and Rock River is working out a couple of the issues apparent in the line.

The (original) AR10 is older than the AR15, but the rest of the 308 AR's are relatively new. The original AR10 dates back to the 1950's.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bushmaster bailed because their rifles were experiencing broken bolts.  The AR-10 platform has been out longer than the AR-15 platform, it just experienced a "dry" period when the military adopted the 5.56 round.  I guess it made a real comeback when K.A.C. started producing the SR25 in the early 90's.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
the sooner you get your order in the better there is a 3-4 month wait on DPMS 308's talked to my factroy rep the other day they are behind on all 308's
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I will be the lone voice for a .223\5.56 AR.

If you are going to mostly plink and target shoot with it, why go .308? Mags are more expensive, ammo is more expensive. More recoil. More noise and they don't seem to be quite as reliable. For your purposes, I can see a lot of negatives to the .308 but can't think of any positives?

I have no idea how much a DPMS AR10 sells for but they can't be that cheap? You know you don't have to spend a fortune to get a precision AR15? Check out the build this guy did...

Precision On a Budget

Unfortunately for him but maybe fortunately for you, he's selling it to pay his taxes...

Camo AR Precision Rig *Price Lowered* (PICS)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I went with the lightest weight presicision setup I could think of
and came up with a 223 built for 75, 77, and Mk262 rounds.  
Cost me about 1600$ optics and all, but you could save money
by leaving out some extras like the upgraded stock, handguards and buis.  
Then I spent about half that on ammo .

The specs as it is now:

18 inch 1:8 fluted medium contour barrel with midlegnth gas system with PRI low gas block
Vortex FH
Samson HG
Ameetec Upper and Lower
Ameetec Chrome Bolt Group
RRA Match Two Stage trigger
Magpul Trigger guard
SPR grip
Vltor A1 clubfoot stock with SOG pad Magpul PRS stock now
dpms mangonel front and troy rear BUIS
Super Sniper 10x in QRW rings on a larue 5/8" QD riser base
Harris bipod on ameetec base.
10 colt 10 round mags
400 rounds of mk262
200 rounds of BH 75 Gr BTHP
200 rounds of BH 77 Gr BTHP
400 rounds of BH 68 Gr BTHP

Present setup with short benchrest bipod and PRS:

As I got her with VLTOR stock and 9-12 bipod

more info

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I also went with 5.56, that round is extremly accurate. I set mine up to run Mk262 thru also. I think the 308 is alot of overkill for varment hunting, especially if you plan on saving the pelts.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#13]
There is no real reason you shouldn't go with 308. It is more accurate at longer ranges and packs a heck of a lot more punch.

As for a report on the DPMS LR-308...
  We have the 24" bbl stainless on the enahnced (forward assist and dust cover) flat top receiver. Rail gas blocks on four, low pro's on the rest (rail blocks on the way from DPMS.)

Our sniper instructors and students for the Department of State designated defensive marksman program have made critical hits on paper and steel at 1100 yards. The groups ARE sub MOA for many shooters, even at 700 yards and beyond.

For about 1/5th the price, you'll run with an SR-25 all day.
The one drawback is the trigger. I've had to replace all of ours with RRA 2 stage triggers. They work fine and break at about 4 pounds. For what is intended to be a combat rifle, that's not bad.

If you don't plan on shooting further than 700 yards, a 16" bbl would be a great addition to any arsenal. Plenty of utility and the ability to hit hard at longer ranges. Not a bad combination. I was actually thinking about trying to get one for my next stint in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
A .308 is definitely overkill for varmint hunting but that wouldn't deter me, lol

All jokes aside, for varmints I'd stick w/ .223

Here's my groundhog rifle

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
that's the new bushmaster?  they seem to be selling real well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 204's,223's,6.5G's, 6.8spc's in the AR15 frame but for the varmint and plinking you describe an AR10 in 260 would be my choice. The 260 outshines all the six somethings previously mentioned in everything but carry weight and price.  Nothing the matter with the 308 I just think the 260 would fit your needs better. My 260 was built with DPMS components in order to utilize the steel magazines but I have owned my last DPMS factory weapon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
that's the new bushmaster?  they seem to be selling real well.

Nope, it's a 24" Varminter on a Bushy LE lower.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Ended up going with the .308,

I picked up a DMPS LR24 today from Clarks, guess the bug for a new caliber bit me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top