Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 5:01:56 PM EDT
I have heard that A1/A2 stocks can be dyed darker colors. How is this done, what product? I have a set of grips I'd like to try to dye.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I paint my plastic parts. As long as you prep everything and degrease everything properly it should hold well. I also bake mine in the oven after paint, but I use a low heat to do it so it wont warp the plastic.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
rit dye just a guess never done it
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I know the HK guys dye their grey USC's black with great success.  You should try over on HKpro.com and see what they are using.

-X
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Wet sanded some A1 buttstocks to clean up scratches and dings.  The choppergun fiberglass was then visible; I used black shoe polish to color the fiberglass.  Does a great  job; not actually changing color, but it masks the lighter material. The finished stock has a dull sheen, and the shoe polish acts more like a stain.  It doesn't rub off.

I've tried the Krylon for plastic, and found it not especially durable, tho' it looks nice when first applied.  I sanded and degreased all surfaces, so that isn't the issue.

Black X, if you can give a little more direction it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Moon
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know the HK guys dye their grey USC's black with great success.  You should try over on HKpro.com and see what they are using.

-X

Rit Dye Liquid...

3 parts BLACK
1 part DARK GREEN
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Can this be done on handguards also?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a home solution, but  www.trippresearch.com/coat/coat.htm

Also, isn't there a spray on finish (spray paint basically) designed to adhere specifically to polymers?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top