Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2006 3:50:27 PM EDT
I am looking at getting one of these sights for a RRA M4. Will be shooting 25yds-200yds. What are the pro's vs con's of each.  I notice about 1/2 have EOtech and 1/2 Aimpoint in the pics on that I see. What do ya'll think?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The never ending debate

EOTech
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a way to try them both and see what works for you.  There is no 'best' in general, which is why you see 50/50.  For me it's Aimpoint, but it could just as easily have been EOTech.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the Eotech, since I can keep both eyes open and on the action. I don't expect to get into an engagement over 100 meters away, and for that I can have my gunner engage with the SAW or the Mk-19 depending on the level of threat.

The Aimpoint has its advantages; with the 3X adapter, you can use it for longer ranges and for a little bit of precision shooting if the situation allows it; however, in situations where you are storming into a building and targets are at close-range, the Eotech's HUD like shape enables quick adquisition of targets while maintaining periferal vision.

They are both good and the final choice is dependent on the operator's choice.

US Army Ranger Squad Ldr. with an Aimpoint CompM red dot on his M4.

US Army SF Operators with Eotech Holosights on their M4s.
Note the Breachers in the center have Remington M870s and
holding a "Bangalore Torpedo".

Nice touch.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I prefer the Eotech, since I can keep both eyes open and on the action. I don't expect to get into an engagement over 100 meters away, and for that I can have my gunner engage with the SAW or the Mk-19 depending on the level of threat.

The Aimpoint has its advantages; with the 3X adapter, you can use it for longer ranges and for a little bit of precision shooting if the situation allows it; however, in situations where you are storming into a building and targets are at close-range, the Eotech's HUD like shape enables quick adquisition of targets while maintaining periferal vision.

www.specwargear.com/images/US%20Army%20SF-35.jpg
US Army Ranger Squad Ldr. with an Aimpoint CompM red dot on his M4.

www.specwargear.com/images/photo%20gallery%2020.jpg
US Army SF Operators with Eotech Holosights on their M4s.
Note the Breachers in the center have Remington M870s and
holding a "Bangalore Torpedo".

Nice touch.

You're supposed to shoot the Aimpoint with both eyes open as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Find a way to try them both and see what works for you.  There is no 'best' in general, which is why you see 50/50.  For me it's Aimpoint, but it could just as easily have been EOTech.

+1  Try to find a way to see both then decide.  I have two Aimpoints, love em, but I'm sure if I had the EOTech I'd like it too.

BTW, I use the "both eyes open" technique when using the Aimpoint....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
For LE use I prefer the eotech and that's what I use.  However I've only used an aimpoint on the range a couple times.  Definately a personal decision.  Both do the job well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Eotech in myprofessional opinion
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I chose the EOTech because:
1. It has a larger field of view.
2. I liked the fact that the 65min circle is very fast on close targets and the 1min dot allows accurate longer range shooting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Eotech in myprofessional opinion

Is that a certified professional opinion or was your opining academy unaccredited?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Both work. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I have an M2, but when the EOTech 553 comes out I will get one and get used to it too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
2. I liked the fact that the 65min circle is very fast on close targets and the 1min dot allows accurate longer range shooting.

+1
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

But I am an armchair commando.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
EoTech is a faster sight - quicker tango to tango - 65 MOA ring
Aim point is a better, precise shot placement.
EoTech has a mount built into it.
Aimpoint- needs a mount
electronics , batts. etc. are close enough.
both are a very high quality optic, can't go wrong with either one.
I use EoTechs .

Brian W.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I would choose the EO Tech since it's a Michigan company (Ann Arbor)... personally I own a Trijicon ACOG (another Michigan company based in Wixom).

---DK
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

But I am an armchair commando.

+1 to both sentiments
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Just an additional piece of info.  The Aimpoint 3x magnifier works perfectly fine with the Eotechs also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both.  Two Aimpoints and three EOTechs (and a Bushnell HOLOsight) - plus an ACOG.  

Both are great.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#18]
ahem,

Buy both
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ahem,

Buy both

+1
i do like the Eotec though
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Professionals? Ken Good, Jeff Gonzales and Pat Rogers like the Aimpoint
more, while Tom Holschen (Insights) and James Yeager (TR) favor the Eotech.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Professional opinion, irons.  Tried both Aimpoint and EoTech, both have strong points, but I chose the EO due to the FOV and it seemed faster in close.  I probably will buy an Aimpoint one day, they are tough and reliable.
Try them both, you'll be happy with either.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I sell um is that professional enough?

I have both but prefer the Eotech

if i was going to war a Aimpoint  just from sheer batterylife and it only takes 1 battery and they are very small so you can stash  alot of um anywhere

of course YMMV
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#23]

I like the EOTech more though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]
EOtech BUT I am currently in the trial/traing phase of switching my carbine to an Aimpoint M2 and keeping the EOTech for the 870 shotty.  I like the EOTech bigger, 65 MOA reticle with all of the movement involved with the pump.  I think the "precision" of the Aimpoint better suits my M4 for those longer distances.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
EOtech BUT I am currently in the trial/traing phase of switching my carbine to an Aimpoint M2 and keeping the EOTech for the 870 shotty.  I like the EOTech bigger, 65 MOA reticle with all of the movement involved with the pump.  I think the "precision" of the Aimpoint better suits my M4 for those longer distances.

How is the 4MOA dot of the Aimpoint more precise than the 1 MOA dot of the EOTech?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Wizzo read my mind.

For my work M-4, I run either my ACOG (99.9% of the time) or an EOTech.  Either works for me.  Having once been an Aimpoint devotee, I'll give you my competitor and professional opinion.

For the range that you're talking about, they're a wash.  The only negative against one over the other would be the Aimpoint's 4MOA dot vs. the EOTech's 1 MOA dot.  8" is a lot of covered area on a target at 200 yards with not not a whole lot of play on either side.  2" is much nicer.

For close in work, they are again, about a wash.  They both have some negatives here though.  Again, the 4 MOA dot CAN BE (but not necessarily is) a hinderance here because it might be a little small for some folks to pick up.  For the EOTech, because of the system actually projects the hologram of the reticle in front of the muzzle, this could throw some folks off, the 65 MOA halo makes it much easier for pointing and shooting, especially in transition.  Believing that everything can be "overcome" by training, I don't see either of these as a real hinderance.

So, in the end, try both.  Heck, buy both and see which one you don't like.  You can always sell the one you don't like to someone.  If nothing else, you might like both and what's a better excuse to have another upper or even better another rifle than, "well I had two scopes so I need two rifles".

Good luck.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#28]
For people who have imperfect vision, or astigmatism, the Eotech looks strange.  Someone here described it as the "Eye of Saurin"  

The Aimpoint is just a red dot, so at worst, it will be slightly blurred.

Truth is, either will work for you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:52:58 AM EDT
[#29]
4 moa Aimpoint here.  If I used it for over 100 yd shooting I would prefer a 1 or 2 moa dot.  If I needed the ultimate in speed for close quarters it would be the Eo.

"But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

Bill D
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

How is the 4MOA dot of the Aimpoint more precise than the 1 MOA dot of the EOTech?

WIZZO

I understand the physics and I know it doesn't jive but looking down a tube slows me down and focuses my vision better.  For longer distances the EOTech just ditracts me and I feel it is too "open"?  The Aimpoint, on the other hand, with the single dot in a closed tube unit just seems more precise (even thought the actual dot is larger).
As others have said, even when focusing in on the target I still find my 551 reticle to have the "fuzzy factor" many complain about.  It isn't that bad mind you but it is not near as clear as the Aimponit dsingle dot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#31]

I would choose the EO Tech since it's a Michigan company (Ann Arbor)... personally I own a Trijicon ACOG (another Michigan company based in Wixom).

Since I don't live in Michigan or even know anybody who does, I found myself marveled by the Sweedish Bikini Team and therefore went with the Aimpoint.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

I understand the physics and I know it doesn't jive but looking down a tube slows me down and focuses my vision better.  For longer distances the EOTech just ditracts me and I feel it is too "open"?  The Aimpoint, on the other hand, with the single dot in a closed tube unit just seems more precise (even thought the actual dot is larger).
As others have said, even when focusing in on the target I still find my 551 reticle to have the "fuzzy factor" many complain about.  It isn't that bad mind you but it is not near as clear as the Aimponit dsingle dot.

I've got both an I'm more accurate with the EOTech 552.  1moa better than 4moa
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I've had both. I like the switch better on the Aimpoint(+ the battery life, never turn it off).

The Eotech might be a shade faster close in, and a shade more precise way out, but doesn't the front sight post cover about 4" at 100 yards also?

Never felt that the 4 MOA dot of the Aimpoint was a major hindrance, but you can also get them with the 2 MOA dot now.

I never see people here mention the difference in the switches, am I the only one that doesn't like the Eotech's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I have 2 Eos right now and realy like them.But,I do plan on buying an Aimpoint ,just to check them out and do it the ARFCOM way...Have both!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Prefer the Aimpoint ML2
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

---DK

huh..I live in Ann Arbor, never knew. I vote EOtech by the way, but I am far from a professional...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I got the Eotech 551 and Aimpoint ML2 BOTH ARE GOOD!!

If I had to have just one for combat only it would be Aimpoint

Other than that Eotech
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I prefer the Eotech, since I can keep both eyes open and on the action.

<snip>, the Eotech's HUD like shape enables quick adquisition of targets while maintaining periferal vision.

I have to take issue with the couple of members who still think the EOTech has a wider field of view than the aimpoint.  Trigg has it correct, the Aimpoint is also designed to be used with both eyes open, and will have the same field of view as the EOTech.

I have used a couple different brands of tube style red dots in the past few years and got a CompM late last year.  I recently had an oportunity to try an EOTech on another officer's weapon.  My Aimpoint was the first tube type he had used.  Amazingly we were both able to use either proficiently and quickly.  In the end, he still prefered the EOTech and I still prefered the Aimpoint, but we would both be happy with either one.

They are both rugged robust units that perform the same job equally well.  I all boils down to the choice of open or tube style and dot size.

Sarge
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

In My case having Astigmatism(20/15), The Aimpoint is By far more accurate @ 50/100 yd. KD Ranges.

From a bench or prone shooting at 50 yds, the Aimpoint dot is just that, a perfect  circle that gives me .25" - 2" groups consistantly, while @ 100 yds, I'm shooting 2"-5.5" groups-all while having a 4 MOA diameter.

The Eotech on the other hand while having a 1 MOA dot in a 65 MOA ring, it is damn grainy and
the 1 MOA dot blows out in a star shape leaving a 3-6 MOA jumbled cluster resulting  me shooting 1"-3" groups @ 50 yds and 4"-7" groups at 100 yards benching or prone. For Me, that's a little worse than Irons.

I find that they are both very reliable in the duribility department, However the Aimpoint has the edge in
battery life and ease of function.

I live on the same street as Eotech and with that being said, I have 1 EoTech and 3 Aimpoints.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I have an Eotech on my work rifle and an Aimpoint ML3 on a personal rifle.  The Eotech works fine, the only thing I don't like is the one mounting screw.   The Aimpoint is also a little easier to turn on and off.   I think the field of view is a little better on the Eotech. As far as overall durability, the Eotech has held up pretty well although we did have a couple of units which had bad contacts within the battery housing and had to be replaced.  That could have been a corrosion issue though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I have used both and choose EOTech.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#42]
It’s going to boil down to personal choice. I have used both and either one will work very well. I personally prefer the Aimpoint. They are a little more expensive, but have a slightly- smaller footprint. In addition I have had mine for a little over a year, and have not had the battery go dead. Can’t say that for anyone I know with the Eotech.
MB
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#43]
If you have lil football shaped eye balls you will like the Aimpoint better.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#44]
You guys with astigmatism, do you wear corrective lenses?  I have a mild astigmatism and 2 EOTechs. Without my glasses the reticle looks like a steaming pile of poo, but with them on it is perfect.  I have not tried an Aimpoint yet, but I want to.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Eotech all day, much wider field of view. No looking down a tube like a scope. The only advantage   (if you want to call it that is the 3x addition to the aimpoint to make it good at close and long ranges) The aimpoint and Eotech top of the line both are about $450. The Aimpoint you need a Arms or another adapter to fit it on the rifle $100 then to get the 3x addition is like another $350-$450. If your going to spend that you buy a ACOG TA11 or TA31. Whatever recticle you like and your way better off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Eotech all day, much wider field of view. No looking down a tube like a scope.

Open BOTH of your eyes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You guys with astigmatism, do you wear corrective lenses?  I have a mild astigmatism and 2 EOTechs. Without my glasses the reticle looks like a steaming pile of poo, but with them on it is perfect.  I have not tried an Aimpoint yet, but I want to.  

Yes and I still get some halo or starburst from the Eothingy. The aimpoint is clear . The Eotech uses a laser that is why you get the fuzz.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#48]
which is better for hunting hogs at 100 to 200 yds
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#49]
people are either thick headed or do not read, i say both. h
able to be used with both eyes open: BOTH!

battery life: aimpoint has the edge with out a doubt (eotech 552 + lithiums AAs = 1100 hrs +)

Built in mount: EOtech

Reticle size: aimpoint 4 MOA, Eotech 1MOA (but i was told by the eotech guys @ shot that the center dot is actually 1/4 moa)

So now go try both and figure which one ya like!

For me i chose the eotech, every aimpoint i have tried has had a misshaped dot. Plus the battery debate is a minor one for me, if you think about it you gota know that if your aimpoint dies and you dont have a spare battery yer gonna be SOL finding one during a zombie uprising, while AA's should be some what easy to get a hold of.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eotech all day, much wider field of view. No looking down a tube like a scope.

Open BOTH of your eyes.

But your avatar guy is only looking at us with ONE eye!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top