Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 9:08:10 AM EDT

I can buy the lower receiver and upper receiver  assemblies for about $200.00 less than complete rifle.  Is rifle case and 2(30mags) worth the the $200 dollars.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Federal Excise Tax for starters
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You also aren't paying some chump to assemble the rifle when you purchase the components seperatly.  They gotta eat too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
$200 to push to two pins down?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Last I checked, rifles don't assemble themselves...I may be wrong though
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
$200 to push to two pins down?

I had to pay a 600$ for "court costs" and i only talked to the judge for 5 minutes.....

Its all relative.  Think of all the extra costs besides labor.  There's shipping, utilities to run the shop, on top of wanting to make an honest American profit.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#6]
With most products, profit on assembled goods is very low, with margins much higher on parts and accessories.

The US AR-15 market is an anomaly.  There is a supply of parts and bits from military surplus and contract overruns, as well as a cottage industry of small machine shops trying to get their own piece of the action.  The competition has driven parts prices way down.  Consider also the Federal Excise Tax on complete firearms that dpmmn mentioned and you account for most of the difference.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]
With a new rifle you get a warranty.  If it's worth $200 is up to you.  I don't know how the manufactures of uppers and lowers warranty their products but I sure it would be to your advantage if you had a major Kaboom if you bought the rifle complete.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]
ARs (maybe other firearms)  are one thing that you can build cheaper than you can buy complete.  I guess the tax and labor are the main reasons.

But almost everything else I deal with in life and business is the exact opposite.  For instance, try to put together a Car for less than you can drive it off the lot, how about a computer printer, everything I sell at work would cost more to assemble from parts then it is just to buy.

Be greatful and buy AR parts and build until your wife finds out your a Gun Freak!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
the point i think he is trying to make is a complete upper is about 400 bucks and a conplete lower is about 225. that's 625 bucks.. When you buy a complete rifle they cost about 825 -925 dollars! excise tax is about 100 bucks so why pay the money? answer: don't! Buy the upper and lower and put it together and bam you saved 100-200 dollars...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can buy the lower receiver and upper receiver  assemblies for about $200.00 less than complete rifle.

BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the point i think he is trying to make is a complete upper is about 400 bucks and a conplete lower is about 225. that's 625 bucks.. When you buy a complete rifle they cost about 825 -925 dollars! excise tax is about 100 bucks so why pay the money? answer: don't! Buy the upper and lower and put it together and bam you saved 100-200 dollars...

damn FFL's, trying to make a profit....wtf
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can buy the lower receiver and upper receiver  assemblies for about $200.00 less than complete rifle.

BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!

AMEN BROTHER!!! While we are at it, ban 110lb women  from driving
6000lb SUV'S : )
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Try to build a running 1911 the equivalent of a SA loaded for $700...

I'm glad AR's work that way, though...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This works with building computers as well- as long as you can fix your own problems you should be ok and don't need the extra warranties...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, as long as you're willing to ask the guy in the mirror for tech support, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yup, as long as you're willing to ask the guy in the mirror for tech support, you should be fine.

I dunno...  I have talked with the guy in the mirror and he can be a real tool.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was pricing all over creation for my first AR .  . . I called Rock River and asked them that. . . .  I was like I can buy a lower and an upper from you and it would be 125 dollars cheaper then buying the exact same rifle assembled. . . . . she said yes, but you can't do that, you have to have a license to build rifles. . . .  What gives?

In the end I got a steal on a Colt. . . .
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Skilled tradesmen putting them together does cost the manufacturer. Plus the warranty, etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=338693

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
When I was pricing all over creation for my first AR .  . . I called Rock River and asked them that. . . .  I was like I can buy a lower and an upper from you and it would be 125 dollars cheaper then buying the exact same rifle assembled. . . . . she said yes, but you can't do that, you have to have a license to build rifles. . . .  What gives?

I am sure people will let me know if I am wrong, but I believe she is half correct. I believe you need a license to assemble a rifle, if you are doing so to sell it. If you are doing it for personal use, you would not. I also believe if you sold that rifle you assembled later, you would be obligated to pay the 11% tax, if you sold it as a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

In the end I got a steal on a Colt. . . .

It's the feedramps that make up the difference.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am sure people will let me know if I am wrong, but I believe she is half correct. I believe you need a license to assemble a rifle, if you are doing so to sell it. If you are doing it for personal use, you would not. I also believe if you sold that rifle you assembled later, you would be obligated to pay the 11% tax, if you sold it as a complete rifle.

Hey wanna buy a rifle ahem I mean two parts of a rifle. . .  its a Colt lower and a Colt upper. . . . they are just hooked together right now by a couple pins, but they are NOT a complete rifle. . . just all the parts are there and they function well together. . . .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top