Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:40:46 PM EDT
I read somewhere here that the mid gas system makes a huge difference over the rifle length on a 18" barrel. If it is true how much of a difference is there and is there enough benefits to change setups?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What is wrong with your rifle now that you need to fix by swapping over to the mid-length gas system?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What is wrong with your rifle now that you need to fix by swapping over to the mid-length gas system?

+1
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing is wrong.. I purchased all the parts and it is sitting on my desk ready to be put together. I figured if the benefits were there than this would be the time to change it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
OK then, what benefits are you referring to that you read about?

Can't answer your question if I don't know what benefits you're asking about.

But I can tell you that a very well respected AR owner here (Zak_Smith) prefers his ARs to have rifle length gas systems rather than mid-length for the softer shooting and lower recoil.

The only things I've ever heard (second hand, read it on the internet, can't confirm or deny the truth of it) about 18" barrels and gas systems was that, in VERY VERY cold weather, someone reported having experienced a malfunction issue of some kind with rifle length gas systems.  Since you live in Texas, I don't think you have to worry about that.

I have never heard of anything regarding a "huge" difference between the rifle and mid-length 18" barrels, so you're going to have to elaborate please.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
To tell you the truth I honestly do not know or have read specific benefits if any there are.. I came upon this thread here where Steve at Adco said it is a much better choice for the 18" bbl.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top