Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:05:53 PM EDT
What is the accuracy potentional of a MRP platform?  I mean how does it compare with the traditional barrel mounting system?  Will or can they be made to out shoot say a SPR? Better?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#1]
anybody???
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 14.5" barrel so I don't shoot it like a precision rifle, and train with it in carbine classes to shoot from 5yds to 300yds.  At these ranges it's certainly accurate, no more than my other free floated barrel uppers/rifles though.  Also at these classes I don't use match ammo due to the high rounds count, I can do 1.5 to 2.5 MOA with a TA31F.
Edwin has more experience in precision shooting with an MRP, he's got more than one barrel
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
my reason I'm asking is I have 2 MRPs 1 CQB and 1 rifle, I want to reduce my AR count by a few and I love the MRP platform I have not decided what to do with the rifle setup if it can be made as or more accurate than say my Varmiter and SPR one of those will go along with my 16 standard.  I just have a few to many right now so if I sell off a couple it frees up cash for other projects.
Thanks,
Mike
BTW who's Edwin?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]
sorry double post for some reason
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm hardly knowledgeable on AR barrel mounting specifics, but I wouldn't expect to see any difference in accuracy due to the mounting.

Both my JTAC supplied SS 1/7 Krieger SPR 18" barrel and my MSTN supplied 16" SS 1/7 MRP 5R barrel will do 1/2 MOA consistently at 100 yards with 75 Hornady/BH grain ammo, but the Krieger is the slightly better of the two in terms of group size/consistency.  
The CL 14.5" 1/7 MRP barrel does about 1 MOA with the same ammo, whereas the 18" SS 1/8 barrel is about .8 MOA with the 75 grain, but improves to near 1/2 MOA with lighter match ammo.  The CL 14.5" barrel's accuracy drops off to 2 MOA even with match quality 55 grain ammo, and the 16" SS MRP barrel doesn't, giving 1/2 MOA even with 55 grain Silvertips or just about any other match ammo (haven't tried lighter than 55 grain, but 68/69 is excellent also).

So accuracy's back to barrel quality and ammo selection assuming free float mounting.

If you want a MRP and precision accuracy, I'd get the 16" SS 5R barrel, that's for sure.  Mine has shot a best of 0.65 MOA at 350 yards with Hornady 75 grain TAP, and it'd be hard to expect more.

This one is configured as a convertible weapon, with Aimpoint M3 & 3X Magnifier/Samson Flip Mount, remove the Samson & add the PVS-14, or just use the IWAL 2 IR laser & helmet mount PVS-14 with CQD forward grip, or ditch the Aimpoints and install a variable like the MR/T 3-9 or the Nightforce NSX.  
Currently both scopes are being used on other rifles, so I may have to get another NSX 3.5-15 for it, as I liked that combination on LT QD rings the best.  The low cheekweld wasn't a problem due to the parralax correction of the NSX, but I know where I can get a really good deal on a LR/T ILL 3.5-10 Leupold, and it has the focus adjustment, and I can try before I buy.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok thats what I was wondering, what mount are you using on for your Harris? Actuall also which Harris are you using?  I have a 14.5 CL and a 16CL so I was wondering if if the rifle 16" should go with either a SS 18" or SS 16"  My CQB will stay a 14.5 CL for now anyway.  I do reall like this setup and have kicked around the idea of one more upper in rifle for my other LMT lower.  Maybe I should and go either SS 18" or SS 16" on that one and go for as much accuracy as I can squezze out of her?  What is the difference (other than 2") of the 16 vs 18 SS?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Edwin, great picture!

I still have a few months before I get my shotshow special CQB MRP in 6.8/.223...  That picture makes me drool, even if it is the full length MRP ;)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok thats what I was wondering, what mount are you using on for your Harris? Actuall also which Harris are you using?  I have a 14.5 CL and a 16CL so I was wondering if if the rifle 16" should go with either a SS 18" or SS 16"  My CQB will stay a 14.5 CL for now anyway.  I do reall like this setup and have kicked around the idea of one more upper in rifle for my other LMT lower.  Maybe I should and go either SS 18" or SS 16" on that one and go for as much accuracy as I can squezze out of her?  What is the difference (other than 2") of the 16 vs 18 SS?
Thanks,
Mike

I have the Harris notched swivel 6-9 with the "T-Nut" pod loc.

I'd say the 16" SS 1/7 barrel for maximum accuracy for sure, and I think most of the other MRP users here would agree with me.  
The 18" is much heavier, and I use mine with a MSTN QC muzzle brake for minimal recoil, and in that role it's unmatched.  My 18" is a 1/8 twist and I think they now offer 1/7 twist, but I'd still go with the 16" SS 1/7 barrel, it's a shooter!  I think pcurtis has had very good results with his as well.
The 16" SS isn't really much heavier than the 14.5", and it is still very handy.
I'm planning on getting another rifle length MRP upper for use with my 14.5" barrel, but with the 16" CL 6.8 barrels in the pipeline we're going to have even more choices.  So be smart and keep both of them!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top