Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:38:55 AM EDT
Has anyone heard of any reason I would have an issue if i had a complete upper in a locked case during international flight?  Also will I have an issue bringing it from a non US country into the USA?

Just wanted to know for future planning

The Army Owns the Night
GOD bless America
Very Respectfully,
David Frankenhauser,  South West Asia (third time).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure which direction you are heading when you fly back, but I found out the hard way, DO NOT TRY TO TAKE ANY FIREARMS THROUGH JAPAN.

Gene

ETA:  check with the airline you are traveling on to see what their specific rules are irt firearms.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
if you took it out of usa w/paperwork/declaration, should be  no problem. if not,prchased out-side u.s.(excluding possibility of post-exchange purchase) you are "importing" w/need for state dept pe-approval w/attendant forms/fees/wait time, yadda-yadda,etc.  not likely in short time-line situatio, IMHO. YMMV  someone will correct me if wrong info.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think that mailing it back would be  a better option. At least you'd be at home when they come to lock you up, not in an airport in some other country.

I know a lot of IC's who had custom work done and sold the pieces before they left. If you're doing what I think you're doing, $1,000 isn't much to part with when you can get $500 back out of it.

I know that the airport of origin will likely be your problem. Jordan, Kuwait, and all the others are taking magazines so an upper will likely get you scolded pretty heavily.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
All depoends on where you are going, if you could be more specific about what your stops are going to be, then we can give you some more information.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Airports of transit and whether you have USG ORDERS for the item will be the question.

I carried an M9 pistol in my checked bag from CONUS, to Frankfurt Germany, to Balad Iraq with no problems whatsoever.  When I cleared customs in Frankfurt I went to a US Army MP NCO who was assisting the BGS and told him I had a weapon in my checked bag.  He took me aside to a screened area, checked the weapon and compared the S/N to my orders, then told me to lock it all back up and get my passport stamped.  I did have valid travel orders that listed the weapon by S/N and the weapon was in a locked box in my locked checked bag.  Reverse trip was no problem.

However.

A US Army Major I know tried to go through Rome Italy with the same orders and locked box configuration as I used.  He had a MAJOR hassle with the Italian police that required a phone call from the US Embassy to resolve.

If you are travelling for military support purposes - get it on your orders and look for US military customs officials rather than host nation officials.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top