Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 8:17:09 PM EDT
I'm thinking of purchasing a Sully Stock. My reasoning is I want a high quality stock that won't break easily like my M4 stock did. If anyone can help me with a few questions:

1) How "bomb-proof" is the stock? A few tidbits of info I can find (SWAT article) seem to point to this, but whats your own experience?

2) I'm looking at the KAC 1" Sling-mount extension. Would this make the stock unstable, or loose in any way? (Anyones experience with an A2 extension would be appreciated)

This is the one I'm looking at -

If you have a recommendation for a bomb-proof stock, please post.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the same thing, but just settled for an A1 stock as by the time you add the extension you're just about there.  I think TAPCO had them for $8.  I put them on all my 10.5" carbines and use an A1 stock on my 10.5" work gun as well.  Not bad for $8.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a "Sully Stock" on one of my rifles and it is a very solid and durable stock.

In my honest opinion it would bve money well spent on the last stock you will ever need

I would hate to be the one that gets buttstroked with it.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Another potential option for a sling mount is Tango Down and PRI, IIRC.  They both manufacture wrap-around style mounts designed for A1/A2 stocks.  I'm guessing that the Sully profile is the same as the A1/A2 at the receiver mounting point and that either of these slings mounts would work.  The benefit of using something like that would be no compromise in strength between stock and receiver as well as preserving the shorter length of pull that the Sully is designed to deliver in the first place.  

I have no hands-on experience with these mounts, but I have seen them well recommended by other users.  If you opt to consider this, I'd call Defensive Edge (www.defensive-edge.net) and run this by them and get their input.  

If you do go with the Sully, post some pics when it's all put together.  I've always thought those were cool stocks and meshed perfectly with the KISS concept.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Another potential option for a sling mount is Tango Down and PRI, IIRC.  They both manufacture wrap-around style mounts designed for A1/A2 stocks.  I'm guessing that the Sully profile is the same as the A1/A2 at the receiver mounting point and that either of these slings mounts would work.  The benefit of using something like that would be no compromise in strength between stock and receiver as well as preserving the shorter length of pull that the Sully is designed to deliver in the first place.

+1

I know for a fact that the TD mount works.  I'll see if I can grab a pic from somewhere. See below.

If you decide to put the KAC extension on, I would go with an entry length stock rather than a Sully.  It won't be quite as strong, but will then have the same LOP as a Sully Stock.

The Sully is bombproof almost literally.  IIRC, there have been 3 people that were able to break one, and 2 of them were SEALS. I wish I had the scratch to replace the stocks I have with them.

ETA: Photos of the TD SP Sling mount on a Sully (courtesey of James Yeager/Tactical Response):

Link to a huge photo of the TD mount.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You want the tango down PR16 for the fixed stock application. That will give you the same sling mount options as the KAC, for less money and without mods to the stock, or any added length.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys! I think for my sling point I will go with the Tango Down. Does anyone know if this uses a proprietary receiver extension? Or does it use a CAR?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys! I think for my sling point I will go with the Tango Down. Does anyone know if this uses a proprietary receiver extension? Or does it use a CAR?

Are you talking about the Sully Stock?  If so, I believe it's a proprietary buffer tube that uses a carbine-length buffer and spring.

If you're talking about the TD PR16 unit, it just clamps on to the A1, A2, or Sully stock with no need to mess with the extensions like the KAC unit (i.e. Length Of Pull is not affected).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
1) How "bomb-proof" is the stock? A few tidbits of info I can find (SWAT article) seem to point to this, but whats your own experience?

Probably THE most durable stock out there - bar none.  The thing is completely solid.

2) I'm looking at the KAC 1" Sling-mount extension. Would this make the stock unstable, or loose in any way? (Anyones experience with an A2 extension would be appreciated)

If you do that then the stock will be just a hair shy of an A1 stock.  Then what's the point of using a Sully?

If you are just looking for a sing point sling mount there are other options that don't lengthen the stock nearly as much, like this GRCS (used with my Sully Stock).

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Daniels Defense also makes a single point adaptor for the a1 / a2 stock. It is the regular loop for a sling not a hole for an HK hook. I have one that I ran on an A1 stock during the ban and love it.

The advantage to the TD is it does not add length and so you don't need to worry about spacers or screws that are the correct length.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Daniels Defense also makes a single point adaptor for the a1 / a2 stock. It is the regular loop for a sling not a hole for an HK hook. I have one that I ran on an A1 stock during the ban and love it.

The advantage to the TD is it does not add length and so you don't need to worry about spacers or screws that are the correct length.

Also the TD was designed as a "no-gunsmithing required" type mount -- just install on your already installed stock.  But if you are already going through the motions of replacing a stock (and possible a buffer tube), then maybe the permanent single point mounts might be a better option.  Just a thought to consider.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Alright all, thanks for all your input. I've decided to go with the Sully stock and the DD A2 Ambi as 'Sully' himself said he uses it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
tag for later reference
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
tag for later reference

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm trying to decide between the Sully or an A1 for my 16" carbine. Nothing wrong with the collapsable, I just prefer a fixed stock.  The sully uses the carbine buffer and the A1 uses the rifle buffer...is one better than the other?  Will the rifle buffer feel smoother on a carbine or will it not be noticable?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Where did you guys pic up the Sully's? I have been looking into them myself and was wondering where is a good place to purchase one.

Carter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm trying to decide between the Sully or an A1 for my 16" carbine. Nothing wrong with the collapsable, I just prefer a fixed stock.  The sully uses the carbine buffer and the A1 uses the rifle buffer...is one better than the other?  Will the rifle buffer feel smoother on a carbine or will it not be noticable?

Thanks.

My choice would be the Sully Stock. I would recommend a H2 Buffer or a 9mm buffer in your carbine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

My choice would be the Sully Stock. I would recommend a H2 Buffer or a 9mm buffer in your carbine.

While I reccomend the Sully wholeheartedly, I'd probably stick with the buffer that comes with it (designed to function with a carbine gas system, IIRC).

Quoted:
Where did you guys pic up the Sully's? I have been looking into them myself and was wondering where is a good place to purchase one.

Carter, I don't know that anyone other than Defensive Edge / SLR15.com (i.e. Sully himself) sells them.  You can buy it online here:

www17.serrahost.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/Detail?no=83
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#18]
So how did you break your M4 stock, Man?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So how did you break your M4 stock, Man?

Was doing magazine testing with the D&H magazines; had a casing stuck, used the charging hande/smack the buttstock down method to clear the jam. The pin for the positioning the buttstock snapped in two (cleared the jam though...). So I bought the Sully stock

Rather like it. One word to describe it: Solid. I've smacked it around just like I did with the M4 stock, nothing but a little scuff that came right off
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm using the Tango Down sling mount with mine. So far it seems to work just fine but I'm still not entirely sure that at some point I won't have a problem with it getting in the way of my charging handle. There is almost no room for error, there is maybe a frogs hair width worth of room between the CH and the TD.

So far no problems though.

Quoted:

Carter.

Defensive Edge

I don't know why Tactical Response isn't selling them in their store, they sure sell his products in their forum just with their praises.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Since its so cheap, I think I might try an A1 before I get the Sully. The A1 stocks from Tapco do NOT come with the buffer assembly/spring correct? What parts do I need to order to make this stock work on my 16" Stag? I'm thinking the buffer tube, buffer and spring, are there any other small parts that I would need? Is it the full size rifle buffer tube, buffer and spring? How does it feel and will it be reliable using a rifle buffer assembly in a carbine?
TIA
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
? What parts do I need to order to make this stock work on my 16" Stag?

Rifle RECEIVER EXTENSION
Rifle Buffer
Rifle Buffer Spring

Be very careful you don't lose the buffer retainer & spring inside the lowe when you remove the telestock receiver extension.

Also be careful of the rear take down pin detent & spring as you remove the receiver end plate - then again when you install the A1 stock.

How does it feel and will it be reliable using a rifle buffer assembly in a carbine?
TIA

It feels smoother with the rifle buffer, and reliability is unchanged.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top