Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:22:30 PM EDT
I'm in the process of building my new rifle and ive already gotten a rra complete lower and i have found a couple good deals on either stag or lmt uppers, but i'm worried that the finishes wont match closely. For some reason i feel my rifle should have some sort of continuity... if you know what i mean.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Somtimes uppers and lowers purchased from the same company at the same time won't match.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Somtimes uppers and lowers purchased from the same company at the same time won't match.

+1  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been mixing makes for years. I can certainly understand your concern for looks but I've never put looks over functionality.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just order the upper and lower at the same time and hope for the best. Most of the time they should match or be close enough that you wouldn't notice it with some CLP on it. You can always get them coated with Norrells Moly Resin or Dura Coat to make it perfect.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
When purchasing the upper and lower, make sure that you either buy the upper and lower from the same Mfg. or make sure the forgings are as close to the same as possible; like FlyingFiveOh said, you can use Norrells Moly Resin or Dura Coat to match them together.

Personally, i have a RRA upper on a lower that i bought from a private seller. Both match perfectly in color and the castings are excellent on both; if I'd wanted, I could've just had the receiver halves coated withDura Coat, but I wasn't concerned about the receiver's being out of match colorwise.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wipe them down with CLP. That really seems to take care of the color mismatch!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The kit that Lauer sells of Dura Coat cost 49.99 with the air brush and everything you need encluding stripper and reducer.  You can chose the color.  Not that hard to use once you get used to the adjustments on the air brush.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't even worry about it... it's a tool...not a fashion item..
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top