Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:16:20 PM EDT
OK, here is the deal.  I have been longing to get a heavy brl in .223 for a whie but needed some justification.  Today the oppurtunity arose with the invite to a 4 day p-dog hunt.  

For those of you that have had or have a hb varmint type upper what do you recomend?  18", 20", 22", 24" fluted, non fluted, etc.

What about an upper that I can swap out and put on my current lower?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What grain bullet?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For the P-Dogs, I suggest the longest barrel that you feel comfortable with.  Mine is a 24".

Why?  One word -- VELOCITY.

For varmints, you want destructive bullets that are moving fast.  The extra velocity will also give you a little advantage on getting that pdog that is sitting out on top of the hill 300+ yds away.

If you already know the dog hunting area, then you can carefully select your round.  Mostly 100yd shots and under -- go with something less than a 55gr bullet for an even greater velocity boost.

Those polymer tipped bullets (ie -- vmax, amax, ballistic tip, etc) to absolutely wonderful on critters.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like my J&T.  1-8 twist, SST, Fluted, 24".  Shoots well under MOA.  Great service and price too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Id say go with an RRA varmint upper.. reasonably price and dead accurate.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
bushmaster varminter
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Alot of people like Varminters by Bushmaster....I've never shot one...but have seen the groups...quite impressive
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
RRA 24inch Varmint A4, the best accuracy for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I've sold my BushMaster VMatch and I'm getting an RRA varmint 24" 1:8 twist (should be in today ).
I wasn't really impressed by my Bushy accuracy, so I decided to give the RRA a try. I hope it'll be as accurate as my DPMS Panther
It's not the grain of the bullet that matter though, but it's ratio between length and diameter. A common understanding tell that 1:9 should stabilize just fine a 68gr bullet, but my Bushy was not even close to give the Hornady 68gr SST bullet (0.987" long) a decent accuracy. Even if I didn't try, I'm pretty sure it could have worked just fine with a shorter 68gr bullet.
As soon as I'll get my RRA I'll let you know how it performs ...

- Ice
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top