Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 10:39:10 AM EDT
I want a Colt as my 3rd AR15, but I need to know...

What civilian legal model looks the closest to an M16A2?

I want 1/7 twist, chrome-lined, gov profile, with bayo lug, A2, just like I was issued in boot camp back in '01'

Where would be the best place to obtain the model I'm looking for?

Thanks to all who can help!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont believe Colt currently makes a Civillian 20 inch with all the Pre ban features.  If you want Colt however look for the AR6601 (this model is an HBAR with a raised fence though)   or find a lower with an A2 buttstock and shop around for an M16 A2 or A3 government profile upper they are around.
AR6601 below

ETA...The R6550 and R6551 both do not have the raised fence around the magazine release but may be close to what you are looking for if you put an government profile barrel on it.
R6550 and R6551 below
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I want a Colt as my 3rd AR15, but I need to know...

What civilian legal model looks the closest to an M16A2?

I want 1/7 twist, chrome-lined, gov profile, with bayo lug, A2, just like I was issued in boot camp back in '01'

Where would be the best place to obtain the model I'm looking for?

Thanks to all who can help!!!

R6550 or R6551 IIRC
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing is an exact match.  FYI, Ekie posted a pic of his 6551 in a thread earlier that he had modified to an A2 clone.

My non sear-blocked 6551 is close with the exception of the bbl/bayo lug and large front pin.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
So I'm guessing the real answer would be to obtain a Hbar A2 Colt, and then rebarrel it with a government barrel.

Anyone know where I can get never fired Colt A2 uppers, or maybe just the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt uppers are available here but I recommend that you shop around first as they are overpriced.

Click me

and look specifically for an AR6601 if you want the raised fence on the magazine  well
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So I'm guessing the real answer would be to obtain a Hbar A2 Colt, and then rebarrel it with a government barrel.

Anyone know where I can get never fired Colt A2 uppers, or maybe just the barrel?

An A2 HBAR is a slab side
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
+1

What they said, either get a HBAR model with chromed barrel and a mag fenced lower, reprofile the barrel or change the barrel with a Gov't profile.

I was also looking for an A2 Colt model last year and I can't find one so I just built one myself.

I bought a new surplus Colt M16A2 upper half and I also bought a new post ban Match Target HBAR model MT6601 stripped lower receiver and I just installed a Colt LPK and a M16A2 buttstock assy on it.

The only feature that the MT6601 lower doesn't have is the hole for the pivot pin detent, however other models such as the MT6700 Match Target Competition HBAR or the MT6400C Match Target M4 carbine (etc.) some have it, check this feature before you buy it.

On my MT6601 lower I'll just have the hole for the pivot pin detent added by my gunsmith, no big problem.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+1

What they said, either get a HBAR model with chromed barrel and a mag fenced lower, reprofile the barrel or change the barrel with a Gov't profile.

I was also looking for an A2 Colt model last year and I can't find one so I just built one myself.

I bought a new surplus Colt M16A2 upper half and I also bought a new post ban Match Target HBAR model MT6601 stripped lower receiver and I just installed a Colt LPK and a M16A2 buttstock assy on it.

The only feature that the MT6601 lower doesn't have is the hole for the pivot pin detent, however other models such as the MT6700 Match Target Competition HBAR or the MT6400C Match Target M4 carbine (etc.) some have it, check this feature before you buy it.

On my MT6601 lower I'll just have the hole for the pivot pin detent added by my gunsmith, no big problem.

Good luck.

my MT6601 came with the hole for the pivot pin detent
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the ar6601 have the small take down pin hole or the large, i can't tell from the pic...  Thanks

Is $1,094.99 for one a lot of money?  (it is to me, but I don't know what to expect to pay for one)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Colt uppers are available here but I recommend that you shop around first as they are overpriced.

Click me

and look specifically for an AR6601 if you want the raised fence on the magazine  well

I would get a Colt Law Enforcement lower (6920, 6721, 6520) and mount the Colt 1/7 Govt profile upper from the source link above, or from Specialized Armament

Pure 20" Heaven!! and a fitting USMC tribute (save the FN jokes)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were you, I'd get a colt lower, a colt BCG, and then buy one of those surplus M16A2 uppers on the market (I think CDNN had them for cheap). the pivot pins would be small hole, and it should be alot cheaper than getting the same thing as a factory colt, especially since many are pre-bans and still very valuable in ban states.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If I were you, I'd get a colt lower, a colt BCG, and then buy one of those surplus M16A2 uppers on the market (I think CDNN had them for cheap). the pivot pins would be small hole, and it should be alot cheaper than getting the same thing as a factory colt, especially since many are pre-bans and still very valuable in ban states.

where can I buy just a Lower?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my MT6601 came with the hole for the pivot pin detent

That's great, wanna trade?

That's the bad thing about Colts, their features are not consistent, if you think that it's standard there will always be a exception.

That's why I said double check it before buying.

Quoted:
Does the ar6601 have the small take down pin hole or the large, i can't tell from the pic... Thanks

Is $1,094.99 for one a lot of money? (it is to me, but I don't know what to expect to pay for one)

The AR6601 have a mixture of take down size pins, take a look at this model 6601 thread.

$1K+ is not too bad, other brands like the Stag Arms HBAR model are about the same price (without chrome lining), other pre-ban Colt models might cost more.

Colt 6600 and 6601 HBAR Data Base thread link
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where can I buy just a Lower?

The best prices I've seen on colt lowers is from R-Guns. I don't remember the website, but they advertize alot in shotgun news. If you want an LEO lower, you could go to specialized armament warehouse. They don't list them on their website, but they sell them at local gun shows, so you would have to call them and ask for avaliability.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The best prices I've seen on colt lowers is from R-Guns. I don't remember the website, but they advertize alot in shotgun news. If you want an LEO lower, you could go to specialized armament warehouse. They don't list them on their website, but they sell them at local gun shows, so you would have to call them and ask for avaliability.

rguns.net/
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#16]
My 6601 was small pin with the screw and is not drilled for the piviot pin detent a close up of the side is in this thread
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=273088
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.webarms.com/Gun%20Suppliers/Colt/Colt.htm
http://www.impactguns.com/store/colt_rifles.html

Are these it????  I didn;t read the thread very good, cuz Im too drunk to even speak. . . .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top