Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 9:49:10 PM EDT
I love the look of the early AR and M16A1 type rifles with triangular handguards.  I like how clean the original design looks without all the rails that are all the rage these days.  I'd like to build a clone that looks as close to the original as possible, but the problem is I'm a lefty.  Is the lack of the cartridge deflector on the early rifles that much of a problem for us lefties?  I mean I'm not skittish about the empties flying close to my head as long as they aren't smacking me in the face.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
there is a company that produces left hand ARs.  You can find triangle handguards and put them on yourself.  Pretty sure they dont put them on there stock unless its a custom made ar15.  I have 2 pair of triangle handguards.  they are kinda old and beatup but they work well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Stag make a true lefthanded AR.  I don't see why you couldn't buy one and put on a set of A1 handgaurds.  I don't know if other accesories need to make it a A1 will fit but you sure would have a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I'm aware of the Stag lefty AR.  However, I've learned to live in a right handed world and for me shooting a right handed AR in the A2 configuration is no big deal.  I'm just wondering if a lefty shooting an A1 would have much of a problem.  

Also, I want to build a clone that looks as close to an M16A1 as possible.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
In the Army we had a deflector for the A1 that was made from sheet metal. It screwed on the carry handle, used the scope mount hole, between the top of the upper and the bottom of the handle. It hung just behind the ejection port and did a good job of kicking the brass away. HTH
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
In the Army we had a deflector for the A1 that was made from sheet metal. It screwed on the carry handle, used the scope mount hole, between the top of the upper and the bottom of the handle. It hung just behind the ejection port and did a good job of kicking the brass away. HTH

They can be found in the Shotgun News.  I don't remember who sells them, but they are for sell there.  I think Bushmaster may have them, too.  I hope this helps.

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot one left handed for years.  I think the brass deflector is for the guy beside you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
First time I shot High Expert was the first time I fired USMC Annual Rifle Re-Qual with the GI Case Delector installed in the carrying handle.  The deflector definately helped me then and then several re-quals thereafter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they will occasionally bounce off of your face.

It builds character.......
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Interesting.  I shot some A1's in my police academy this past year with the exact same device.  Had no problems with it at all.  Wasnt pretty but these were no safe queens anyway
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The only option beyond attaching a case deflector or using a left handed upper would be to find a "C7" style upper that features A1 rear sights, but has the case-deflector lump.  I would think, perhaps wrongly so, that you could replace the round forward assist with a teardrop one on this reciever making it further appear to be a standard A1.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Doctor M14:
I love the look of the early AR and M16A1 type rifles with triangular handguards.  I like how clean the original design looks without all the rails that are all the rage these days.  I'd like to build a clone that looks as close to the original as possible, but the problem is I'm a lefty.  Is the lack of the cartridge deflector on the early rifles that much of a problem for us lefties?  I mean I'm not skittish about the empties flying close to my head as long as they aren't smacking me in the face.  

Actually Doc, I'm probably the guy you need to talk to  I've been a southpaw AR shooter for over 25 yeara, and I, like you prefer the early profile. The horrer stories you hear are just that---horror stories, made up in the middle of the night to scare the kids.

The main thing that will cause an AR to eject into a lefties face or down the neck is a weak extractor spring. All my ARs, including  M16, M16A1, and XM177E2 clones are fitted with Wolff HD extractor springsand the black inserts that Brownells sells. Only the short barrelled XM177E2 clone puts it's ejected emptied at all to the rear,  and they still come out well away from my face. The rifles eject straight out to the side.  My M4gery similarly equipped shows only the tiniest of brass smears at the extreme edge of the brass deflector.

So build your piece the way you want it, spend a few bucks for the Wolff springs and black inserts, and go merrily on your way.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top