Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:17:48 PM EDT
I need a basic work table to mount a vice so I can work on my AR.  I'm gonna hit Northern Tool tomorrow.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I am still trying to re-arrange my place to set up my Kobalt table from Lowe's.  It's a nice 4 drawer system that is rated for something like 1200 lbs.  I also picked up a Wilton dual swing vise that rotates 360 degrees horizontally and 360 degrees vertically.  Here's a link to our bench thread that may have some ideas for you.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=272918
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I built mine out of 3/4" plywood and 2X4, cost less than $30.00. I used no more than a drill and a jigsaw to build it. Everything is held together with screws, all simple construction.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am still trying to re-arrange my place to set up my Kobalt table from Lowe's.  It's a nice 4 drawer system that is rated for something like 1200 lbs.  I also picked up a Wilton dual swing vise that rotates 360 degrees horizontally and 360 degrees vertically.  Here's a link to our bench thread that may have some ideas for you.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=272918

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#4]
i'm no carpenter, but i worked in a lumber yard for 3 (long) years and i remember my manager talking to me about building a workbench.  i remember him saying "build it heavy".  line the table top with 2X4s all the way across, then put your 1/2" or 3/4" plywood on top of it.  use 2" screws or longer when you can.  build that sonovabitch so you can get underneath it in a tornado.  the less things there are to shake and wear-the more stabil your table will be.  i'm lucky-there was a good solid table in my basement when i bought the house.  my garage bench leaves much to be desired.  but they did use an old counter top when they built it, and that part i am pretty happy with.  i may end up building a new table around that counter top.  you can get rejected ones at lumber yards that people decided they didn't want after it was cut, or it was cut wrong for cheap.  give that a thought.  just my .02.

jake
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Gonna look around today to decide if I'm gonna buy or build.  Hell, I'm in an apartment so I don't have the room to build.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Gonna look around today to decide if I'm gonna buy or build.  Hell, I'm in an apartment so I don't have the room to build.

Me too, that is why I got the Kobalt.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
You dont need much room to build the table. I used to build aquarium stands out of my apartment, it just takes a little imagination and some cleanup. I would use 3/4 inch plywood and line it with 2X4's like deerkillindad21 said, thats how mine is and I have my vise mounted to it. I also trimmed the edges with doorstop to make it look a bit nicer, only $0.50 a foot for that.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
4X4's and an uncut solid core door makes for a pretty stout work bench... can't wait till I get to build another, at the moment I am stuck in rental purgatory. One day....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i'm no carpenter, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

jake

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
tag

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I built my "basic" table back in 1969 out of an old 3'x6'8" solid core door that was on sale due to cosmetic damage.  Bought some 2x4 build the 6 legs.  I  also built a frame work using the legs and used some 3/8" plywood to make the area under it a storage cabinet.  I made it easy to take apart and assemble (using carriage bolts and wood screws) since I worked for an agency where I was moved frequently.  Still have and use it.

One end is set up for my reloading presses, the other end is for general work, including a bench vise.  The cabinet section underneath has about 20 cubic feet of storage.  I have an old book case on top that provides addiitonal, easily accessible storage for my reloading dies and other frequent use items.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top