Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 4:45:17 PM EDT
I recently bought a LMT upper and the feed ramps on it don't look so good.  They look like there not lined up correctly.  I didn't think much of it and have used the receiver now and it looks like it has a little chip in it now.  The rifle feeds just fine, or at least I have not had any feeding issues yet in 500 rounds.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Will LMT warranty there products and fix or replace it?  Any help would be appreciated.  I can try to take pics, but my camera really sucks on close up shots.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Call em!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you buy this upper directly from LMT, or dealer, or some joe off the stree?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought it from a dealer on the EE.  Here's a pic I was just able to get of it.  Not the best pic, but shows how the right ramp is really uneven compared to the right.  Also how there is a snag on the ramp where it doesn't line up right.  Not what I would expect from LMT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/nlanna/guns/IM001988.jpg
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
"The rifle feeds just fine, or at least I have not had any feeding issues yet in 500 rounds."

It`s fine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a couple other threads here with the same issue on an LMT upper, and also a couple of threads discussing issues with their lower. There are always two sorts of replies: if it works, it doesn't matter; and, even if it works, it's shoddy quality control, and so it matters. Those occasional issues with LMT quality control persuaded me to bypass them when choosing an upper and lower. My view is that if I buy something new it should be put together according to spec, and if it's not, I should be offered either a repair, a discount or a refund.

GL
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask the guy you bought it from? Send a email out to him/her etc?

ASK FOR GENE SWANSON  AT LMT 309-787-7151 Seems like a very Nice guy.

I have a LMT also! and for there price it should be right.

Im not a pro but the feed ramps look okay to me?

but hey it wouldnt take much for LMT to switch out.

Maybe Bravo Company/Paul will be buy to take a look see?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm gonna give LMT a call next week and see what they can do.  I did notice quite a bit of brass shavings while cleaning the rifle.  It hasn't caused any problems yet, but all I have fired is FMJ rounds.  Not sure if HP's or soft points will cause any problems.  It may work just fine, but for the price I paid, it should be done right.  It looks like the right ramp on the barrel extension is was cut a little small.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The ramps and finish on my LMT is flawless. I would call and voice a concern.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Colt barrel with M4 cuts and a CMT upper with M4 cuts that also lines up like that.  The ramps don't line up perfect.
It may look a little off but mine works fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]

I would give the dealer first dibs on the problem. Most dealers here are pretty good about taking care of us if there is a problem. If I did not get any satisfaction out of the dealer then I would call LMT to get their take. If they say all is well, than you have to decide if you believe them and the dealer is off the hook for the most part. If they say "WOW, how did that happen? Here is a new one" than your dealer failed you.

Several of the dealers here will take care of the problem even if it is not a real one just to keep the press good. Even though it does cost them money. Some do not.

Some people complain about anything and the dealers are never going to be able to keep everyone happy... I am off the soap box now...

Let us know what they say.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I would wait 1 day for the repley then call LMT and let them Know whats up?

MY LMT HAS ORANGE/RUST IN THE BARREL EXTENSION?? Right after the ramps? I used a chamber brush for HOURS trying to get it all off?

What type of metal does LMT use for there Barrel extensions?

Could the orange color be something besides RUST?

I email Paul about this at Bravo company? He must of not got it? He always Fast to answer my Stupid Questions.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Update - I ended up just dremeling out the feed ramps so there even now.  Now I need to get a small file and smooth them out the rest of the way.  I figured it would be the easiest thing to do then to send it all back and wait awhile and it didn't sound like they were going to do anything.   Should I get the ramps reparkerized (sp?) or not worry about it.

FMJ - those "rust" marks your seeing in the feed ramps are probably copper marks from the bellets sliding down the ramps.  Both the AR's I've had have had the same thing and didn't get them till after I shot them.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Update - I ended up just dremeling out the feed ramps so there even now.  Now I need to get a small file and smooth them out the rest of the way.  I figured it would be the easiest thing to do then to send it all back and wait awhile and it didn't sound like they were going to do anything.   Should I get the ramps reparkerized (sp?) or not worry about it.

FMJ - those "rust" marks your seeing in the feed ramps are probably copper marks from the bellets sliding down the ramps.  Both the AR's I've had have had the same thing and didn't get them till after I shot them.

Why?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a feeling it was a bad idea, but to late now.  At least it looks better now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#15]
All of the M4 feed ramps I've seen look like yours. If the rifle wasn't malfunctioning then there wasn't a problem with them.

If it was that big of a deal, you should have sent it to LMT to see if it was out of spec. LMT has great service to boot. Now that you have taken matters into your own hands I doubt they would warranty the upper.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I went and got a diamond file to smooth it out even more and I think it looks really good now.  I was a little skeptical at first, but now I'm happy with it and I dont think I will ever have a feeding problem.

Here's a not so great pic from my shitty camera of the ramps now.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top