Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2006 6:32:09 PM EDT
UPS man dropped off a couple of boxes today.....pawing them open I found some stuff for the wife AND a 16 inch POF piston upper in 6.5mm Grendel!  Cool!  Had a couple 26 round mags with it.  Looks pretty good, will try it out and post!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Please do some target shooting with 108 scenars and post targets. I wonder how it stacks up against the GCS 16" from Competition Shooting Sports here:

www.competitionshootingsports.com/
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, right now I've got a 14.5 M4 and 16 inch midlength Grendel and a 16 inch freefloated Grendel in for testing.....so will be interesting to see how the piston gun stacks up.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
When is the Wolf 6.5 showed at the Shot Show due out?  Any estimates at price and availibility?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Dunno, I just know Wolf is feverishly working on it and are talking about three loads, not two, now.....a deer load, a multi-purpose tactical and a FMJ.....I know they are solidly behind this round and have some VERY interesting things in store in the not so distant future...

be interesting to see what they come up with, and they will be selling uppers too!

Funny......a Wolf AR M4 upper in Grendel......

like the rest of you though.....just waiting to actually see the ammo arrive on my doorstep....

have an article out in Shotgun News about the Serb ammo factory where it will be made if anyone is interested.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dunno, I just know Wolf is feverishly working on it and are talking about three loads, not two, now.....a deer load, a multi-purpose tactical and a FMJ.....I know they are solidly behind this round and have some VERY interesting things in store in the not so distant future...

be interesting to see what they come up with, and they will be selling uppers too!

Funny......a Wolf AR M4 upper in Grendel......

like the rest of you though.....just waiting to actually see the ammo arrive on my doorstep....

have an article out in Shotgun News about the Serb ammo factory where it will be made if anyone is interested.....

I'm hoping for an AK74 in 6.5, allbe it a long shot.  The Russians have or are testing it saw some interesting shot of a Piston-based AK being tested in 6.5.  An RPK in 6.5 would be the shit!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
actually.......there has already been a lot of talk about stuffing the Grendel in an AK.....the only catch is the magazine.......

but I figure that will be a future project of AA down the road....or someone else......

it only takes a barrel and mag swap on a 7.62x39mm gun......
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
actually.......there has already been a lot of talk about stuffing the Grendel in an AK.....the only catch is the magazine.......

but I figure that will be a future project of AA down the road....or someone else......

it only takes a barrel and mag swap on a 7.62x39mm gun......

As I understood it the M43 type mag can work it needs different followers.

As far as new piston-type I fail to understand "fixing what is not broke".  The ARs problem is it crapps where it eats, hence the piston.  The AK may very well do the same but it is still reliable.  With the neccessity for a "domestic barrel" the possibility of a 6.5 AK is no more complicated once the mag issue is fixed.  How hard is it to pattern a proper follower?  Must be something else?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
7.62x39 magazines have too much curve

5.45x39mm mags MIGHT work with a different follower.......but they would only hold about 15 rounds

Krebs looked at the factory mags and he didn't think it was viable

in his opinion a dedicated mag is the way to go.....and that is expensive......
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
7.62x39 magazines have too much curve

5.45x39mm mags MIGHT work with a different follower.......but they would only hold about 15 rounds

Krebs looked at the factory mags and he didn't think it was viable

in his opinion a dedicated mag is the way to go.....and that is expensive......

That blows.  I guess no company has thought the demand is thier yet.  I guess when cheaper ammo comes to market demand will baloon up signifigantly.  But best case scenario of my theory is it will not happen for 6 months to a year.  I think a lot of gun manufacturers might hold off new ventures till Nov. for obvious reasons if it is pushed that far out, so next year maybe.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
UPS man dropped off a couple of boxes today.....pawing them open I found some stuff for the wife AND a 16 inch POF piston upper in 6.5mm Grendel!  Cool!  Had a couple 26 round mags with it.  Looks pretty good, will try it out and post!

Now if they can only deliver the receivers I've had on order since December.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any reason you cannot use an AR reciever?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
David, did the POF 6.5 Grendel piston upper have the gas port in carbine or mid-length position?

Matt wrote: ". . . saw some interesting shot of a Piston-based AK being tested in 6.5."

Matt, can you expound on this? Do you mean "saw" as saw with your own eyes or heard about as a rumor?

Yes, the AK is long overdue for Grendelization, since the 7.62x39 Russian is its parent case.

John
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a CAR length gas system......

keep in mind that

A.  All AKs are piston systems....

B.  The Russians developed a number of experimental rounds over the years, including 6mm and 6.5mm......but I don't believe they have played with the Grendel.....yet.....

Got a AA 14.5 inch Grendel here which is a hoot to fire...with 123 grain Scenars it  jumps a bit more than a 5.56 gun, as to be expected....lot of fun.......
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Lucky dog, I ordered my POF 5.56 upper on January 16th, and still have yet to see it.  Heck, while waiting for my POF upper to come in, I had my FFL order me a stripped lower so that I will have an all matching gun.

Enjoy your 6.5!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
None of them are mine......just review samples for work....they go back when I'm done....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any reason you cannot use an AR reciever?  

My point was wile I'm glad he got an upper from them,  I would like to get the two lowers we ordered back in  early December.  Three months seems a little long to have to wait for something as basic as an AR lower.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
None of them are mine......just review samples for work....they go back when I'm done....

All the fun, none of the cost or problems - good gig man!!!  

Seriously, thanks David, for taking time to post your reviews here on the board!!  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Seriously, thanks David, for taking time to post your reviews here on the board!!  

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top