Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2006 9:30:07 AM EDT
I am concidering buy'n an AR and want something light enough to carry and manuver but something wiht compettion grade accuracy.

Liked what I saw in the RRA and am wondering are the groovy 16" rifles with bull barrels accurate enough 18", 20"???

any suggestions are welcome.................I liked the new BM predator but 1.3K is a bit steep for a HS student............

Thanks.

SB
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
As many others will undoubtedly point out, barrel length doesn't have too much to do with accuracy.  You can easily shoot accurately at 300+ yards with a quality 16" barrel and good optics.  

It really depends what you mean by "competition grade accuracy" - do you mean the 1 MOA that is likely the best that a stock AR barrel can do, or do you want to spend $500 for a Krieger/Pac Nor/etc. barrel that is capable of much more accuracy and build a precision AR around it?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt Lightweight with 16" 1:7 twist barrel that I absolutely LOVE!
It shoots very very accurately. And it is very lightweight, I can carry it slung all day long never know its there.
My two cents. . . . a tad pricey at times, but worth it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a correlation between barrel length and accuracy -- shorter barrels tend to be more accurate (because they are stiffer), all else being equal. But that is just one of many things to consider. I would just buy based on what rifle people have found to be most accurate. Maybe a RRA with a stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As many others will undoubtedly point out, barrel length doesn't have too much to do with accuracy.  You can easily shoot accurately at 300+ yards with a quality 16" barrel and good optics.  

It really depends what you mean by "competition grade accuracy" - do you mean the 1 MOA that is likely the best that a stock AR barrel can do, or do you want to spend $500 for a Krieger/Pac Nor/etc. barrel that is capable of much more accuracy and build a precision AR around it?

10/4

I guess I would like to have the option of someday being able to use this gun in comp's but the real desire for accuracy comes from my needing insurance that when I miss it's my fault and not the gun................yup sub moa is probly gonna be my standard.............if anyone has any recommendations as to the favorate rifle out to  300yds please give me a heads up.............like I said it HAS to shoot sub moa and the lighter the better.............

Thanks again

SB
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on the range your looking for, my vote goes to the 16" 6.5 Grendel GCS.

www.competitionshooting.com/catalogue/category33/p1604
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
A lightweight sub-MOA rifle carbine...  Generally a sub-MOA rifle is not designed to be one light enough to carry around for any length of time.  Can it happen, yes.  But basically you are describing two different rifles with two different sets of needs or purposes.  JMO.

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#7]
WOA SPR bbl, A3 upper, loose the bells and whisles
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
globaltactical.com has barrels that weigh slightly more than an M4 yet provide a very high level of accuracy.  If you forego iron sights altogether, and use a cheap carbon fiber free float tube, you should be able to bring the gun in around 1000 dollars.  

That said, a chrome lined barrel ought to provide more than enough accuracy for about 6000 rounds.  That is a long time.  A BCM stripped upper is going for only 399 right now.  An MPI CMT BCG is 130 (don't as what it is, just go to www.handrtactical.com and buy one) and a charging handle costs about 20 bucks.  It ought to be MOA, and the accuracy that you lose you can make up for with an optic (learn irons, but love optics).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A lightweight sub-MOA rifle carbine...  Generally a sub-MOA rifle is not designed to be one light enough to carry around for any length of time.  Can it happen, yes.  But basically you are describing two different rifles with two different sets of needs or purposes.  JMO.

TS

I understand that..............I guess my question wasn't very clear...........I want something sub moa...........yet not varmint weight per say.............I consider pretty much every thing under 10lbs light ................./\..........meaning I don't want somethign amazingly heavy ie 24" long 1" diameter barrel that weighs as much as an abrams tank...........

hope that is a bit more clear.....................ps.....................I think I've settled on a RRA varminter with a 16 or 18" barrel...........[suggestions???]

Thanks again for the input
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#10]
ADCO has a Designated Marksman upper (16", IIRC) and an SPR upper (18",IIRC) w/ SS barrel, DD rail, and a few other nice things.  Personally I like this one; .  
You can find it here: ADCO Upper(s)

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shot groups >.30" with a 16" 'standard' gov profile barrel and no scope (using Aimpoint Compl ML2).

Rare, but I've done it.
Barrel length does not always effect accuracy, but it does effect velocity. And considering other factors, velocity can have an effect on accuracy.

A barrels accuracy is more defined by it's uniformity and tolerance along the full length of it's bore, but not it's length per se.

Go with the length you are most comfortable, but get a quality barrel that is known for bore uniformity.

My .02
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WOA SPR bbl, A3 upper, loose the bells and whisles

Yep, here you go.............Mine sure does the job.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top