Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2006 5:55:03 PM EDT
I am thinking of building a AR in CMP format with the floating GI style hand guard.  A local club is adding service rifle shoots.  I also shoot woodchucks.

Couple questions:
1) Can you mount a Bi-Pod to that style hand guard for varmint use at long distance?
2) With the CMP flat top detachable handle.  I will be removeing it when not shooting a match and putting a varmint scope on it.  Likely 6-20x40 range,  will that type front sight show up in the scope much?  Whats a good rail/scope system that holds zero on the scope?
3) Besides the Oly sum any other brouch rifled?  Other decently accurate barrels that you don't have to take a mortgage out on?  I see the "wilsons" are being pitched as something special now for AR's.  They weren't special years ago on other rifles,  something change with then?

Looking to put together a decent CMP that I can use for woodchucks too.  I use to shoot off hand,  it's more the shooter than the money spent on the rifle,  un-like bench.
Thanks..............
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an ArmaLite National Match rifle, so I can only answer for my rifle.  If you wanted to use the Harris bipod adaptor, there's not enough room between the free float tube and handguard to install it...there's not enough space.

When I've mounted scopes to flattop rifles with the fixed front sight, usually you need pretty high rings for the scope to clear the sight.  It usually shows up as a blur due to the magnification of your scope.  ARMS throw lever rings in the 'high' height are good at returning to zero, but there's almost always going to be a slight shift in your zero when removing and reinstalling the scope.  

I am not aware of any other broach rifled barrels besides the Olympics, but I'm sure some other folks will offer some additional input.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
3) Besides the Oly sum any other brouch rifled?  Other decently accurate barrels that you don't have to take a mortgage out on?  I see the "wilsons" are being pitched as something special now for AR's.  They weren't special years ago on other rifles,  something change with then?

Other broach cut barrels are Broughton and Border.

Wilson Air Gauged match barrels are button rifled, not broached.  I don't know what has (if anything) changed with them, but there is no question that the quality they are providing to riflemakers like Rock River and Gunsmiths like John Holliger (White Oak Precision/White Oak Armament) is outstanding for the money.

I've made Master in Highpower with Wilson barrels and will make High Master and Distinguished Rifleman with them too.

BTW. most highpower matches where you get to shoot service rifles are NRA, not CMP.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top