Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:52 PM EDT
What do you all use to adjust the front sight post on your rifles?  I tried using the tip of an FMJ round, and all I succeeded in doing was getting copper all over the post.  This thing is really tight!  Has anyone come up with a nylon tool or something that won't remove the finish from the post and the detent? (Or leave copper all over the finish?)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to consider putting tape on your brass deflector.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

felt is actually the preferred method
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
just keep in the safe and it wont get hurt, keep it in the original packaging with pillows around it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What do you all use to adjust the front sight post on your rifles?  I tried using the tip of an FMJ round, and all I succeeded in doing was getting copper all over the post.  This thing is really tight!  Has anyone come up with a nylon tool or something that won't remove the finish from the post and the detent? (Or leave copper all over the finish?)

Thanks!

If you have a square front sight post, make a square "socket" wrench from an old toothbrush handle.  You can also use a wooden dowel as material for yourr tool.
First drill a 1/16" hole in the middle of the working end as deep as you can, then "square it" with a 4-sided Swiss File until it slips over the post.
A socket tool like this is also the easiest way to quickly switch square front sight posts.
The one I made fron a tooth brush handle over 30 years ago continues to serve me well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

If you have a square front sight post, make a square "socket" wrench from an old toothbrush handle.  You can also use a wooden dowel as material for yourr tool.
First drill a 1/16" hole in the middle of the working end as deep as you can, then "square it" with a 4-sided Swiss File until it slips over the post.
A socket tool like this is also the easiest way to quickly switch square front sight posts.
The one I made fron a tooth brush handle over 30 years ago continues to serve me well.

not being a smartass but how does this depress the detent to allow the front sight to spin?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

not being a smartass but how does this depress the detent to allow the front sight to spin?

Does not sound like that would work as written. you must press the detent pin to be able to unscrew the sight
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

felt is actually the preferred method

Many guys put felt on their brass deflectors on High Power service rifles.. but it's to change where the brass lands.  Makes policing your brass easy.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Does not sound like that would work as written. you must press the detent pin to be able to unscrew the sight

Using tip of the bullet would do that job, these are available handy in range sessions, aren´t they?

MN
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well of course you still must depress the detent with a second tool, that goes without saying.
But with the square socket turner tool I describe, a paper clip, nail. firing pin, small diameter punch, almost anything will depress the detent because all the turning motion is taken care of by the turner.
Most all other tools combine both depression and rotaion in a sinle tool/motion ans also can sratch the finish on the parts.  I never liked that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm so fucking tired of getting the "Put it in the safe with pillows around it" comments from people on this forum just because I try not to beat up my weapons if it's not necessary.

If you can READ, you'll note that I tried using a bullet like the rest of you do, but this is a brand new weapon and the front sight post is so so tight that all I succeeded in doing was shredding the tip of the bullet and marring up the finish on and around the post.  I was merely wondering if anyone, with all the years of collective wisdom here, had come up with a tool that was more appropriate to the task on a stubborn sight post.

At least someone tried to help me out, and thanks for that JL7.  That Bushmaster tool looks like just the ticket.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm so fucking tired of getting the "Put it in the safe with pillows around it" comments from people on this forum just because I try not to beat up my weapons if it's not necessary.

If you can READ, you'll note that I tried using a bullet like the rest of you do, but this is a brand new weapon and the front sight post is so so tight that all I succeeded in doing was shredding the tip of the bullet and marring up the finish on and around the post.  I was merely wondering if anyone, with all the years of collective wisdom here, had come up with a tool that was more appropriate to the task on a stubborn sight post.

At least someone tried to help me out, and thanks for that JL7.  That Bushmaster tool looks like just the ticket.

Out of 4 ar's I've helped zero 2 of mine, 1 of my dad's, and 1 my brothers, I've never had a problem using a bullet.  It was designed with this in mind.  I think.  That's probably why you're getting a ration of crap.  If it is so tight that it's not moving that way, it's probably not working properly.  Oh and by the way, 3 of those AR's were brand new.  But I do agree, if it's stuck for some reason, you'll need some kind of tool.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#14]
i dont see how copper/lead damages steel?

use tip of bullet
press straight down on detent
spin in direction needed

i have zeroed about 20 ar's and never had a single problem with it. when you buy the tool i will say that you should stay away from the pot metal ones cause if you have problems with bullet tips the tool is not going to make you any happier.

this is the one to stay away from, the prongs sheer off or just fold over when used. there is a thin pencil type tool that is similar but made of steel but i cant find a link to one.

oh, this is the internet so dont take things to heart ,you'll live longer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#15]
heres a link to what im talking about. not sure if this one is a good as what i have seen but this is the design.

www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=235
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of these and it works.    From SogArmory

TS
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have one of these and it works.  www.sogarmory.com/productImages/9940_102140_img1.jpg  From SogArmory

TS

thats it, better picture than what i found but thats the one im talking about.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have one of these and it works.  www.sogarmory.com/productImages/9940_102140_img1.jpg  From SogArmory

TS

Given that both tools are designed using the same system why would one be more prone to breaking the prongs?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#19]
i have the bushmaster ones as above.  teh little ones that were said to be bad.  i use them all teh time and nothing has hreaded or sheared on them.  i tke FSP's on and off alot.  i would rather have teh longer ont though.  it looks like it would be alitle more handy.  i have both the a1 and a2.  teh a2 has the a1 rear sight adjustment on it too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

Given that both tools are designed using the same system why would one be more prone to breaking the prongs?

i have purchased both and the fat stump one is made of potmetal and thin the other is thicker and seems to be made of better metal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

i have purchased both and the fat stump one is made of potmetal and thin the other is thicker and seems to be made of better metal.

Very interesting...the ones I have owned were definitely not pot metal.  I cut one off to make a custom tool one time and it was solid steel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

TS

That's what I use.  Bought a DPMS off eBay.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
those tabs on the tools bend easily.  ive always used a medium sized nail.  should be in your cleaning kit.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Stainless front sight tool (A2 four prong) $13.00

About 1/4 of the way down the page
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I use a small jewellers screwdriver, the cheap ones with the plastic body. I pulled out the screwdriver part and was left with the hollow plastic body. I jam that onto the sight post and push in the detent with bullet tip, and I can spin the front sight any way I want. Best part was it was free... I knew there was a reason I keep a drawer full of crap.

regards,

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#26]
You know, I was having the same problem with my new Bushy, the top of the front sight was a pure copper color before I got it 5 rotations.  I actually wound up using a heavy paper-clip with one end folded out, worked great, cost $0, and stays in my GI cleaning kit without taking up space.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#27]
a round?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top