Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:11:25 PM EDT
I've done a lot of tinkering with ARs, but I have never removed an AR barrel.

I've read that sometimes if you have a permanently attached Flash Hider on a 14.5 barrel, you can't install a Free Float forearm unless it's a two-piece.

Not having any clue about how those things go on, I was wondering if an full A2 front sight post would also cause this problem (possible requiring a two-piece free-float forearm) ?

I'm thinking of putting a LaRue or Daniel Defense 12.0 on a dissipator style setup with a standard A2 front sight assembly.

Would  anyone mind commenting on that ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to pull the front sight base off the barrel to slide a tube onto it. I you can't pull the muzzle device, you can't pull the front sight base.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You have the same issue that I have.  I have a 14.5" with permanent flash hider.  So, I asked around and was told that if you grind the crap out of the front sight base, you can grind it down to the point that a DD free floating can be installed.  You have to loose the bayonet lug and sling swivel.  I'm going to get one someday to see whether the barrel nut will fir over it.

Randall
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Edited

If you have a 14.5 with perm FS, that is your problem, not the FSB.  If you are looking at a rail, go with the 2 piece unless you have some great desire to do extra work.

Its one of the limitations of the 14.5s that aren't SBR.

Actually, it's a 16" with a removable flash hider....but it has the A2 style front sight assembly instead of a flip-down sight. I'm concerned about the front sight assembly because I have never removed one, and I wasn't sure if you had to remove it to install a DD or LaRue free float forearm.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Easy to remove for the most part.  Make sure that you knock the pins out from left to right and put them back in from right to left.  Also, if you can, drench the pins in some sort of creeping oil to help loosen them up.

Randall
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
JHaines....

Here's a thread that goes a long way regarding removing the FSB

How to take off FSB

Regards
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top