Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:04:20 PM EDT
I have a COlt Match target .223 without any compensator or flash hider on the barrel.  I guess the AWB made them illegal when I gought the gun.  Anyway, I walk into gun stores now in my area, and all the AR's have attachments on their barrels.  Is there any way a gunsmith could thread my barrel to mount something like that?  I think the gun looks much better with one on, not to mention it might cut down on the foot long flame that comes out of my barrel when I fire the thing!  Anyone have it done, or have an idea what it would cost?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure, this is done all the time.

The job would require turning the barrel down at the muzzle and then threading it.  I can't imagine this would cost more than $100 total including shipping both ways.

I would recommend Adco for this sort of thing.  Go to the Industry Forum and find Adco (it's alphabetical).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
First make sure you don't have a AWB laws in your particular state because some states like CA, NY etc. still has them.

You could either look for a gunsmith in your local area that works on ARs or you could contact ADCO Firearms to get an estimate.

ADCOFirearms.com website link
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sure, this is done all the time.

The job would require turning the barrel down at the muzzle and then threading it.  I can't imagine this would cost more than $100 total including shipping both ways.

I would recommend Adco for this sort of thing.  Go to the Industry Forum and find Adco (it's alphabetical).

+1

I too would recommend ADCO. ADCO Shop Services.

EDIT: I think you would want the 1st and 8th options down.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in NY, but the gun shops near me have them on all their AR's.  I know flash hiders would be illegal, but I see guys at the range with compensators all the time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the difference between a muzzle brake and a compensator?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's the difference between a muzzle brake and a compensator?

Same thing.  They redirect the muzzle blast in some direction to reduce the felt recoil or muzzle rise, or both.  The price paid is usually an increase in muzzle blast experienced by the shooter and by persons to either side.

A flash hider (or flash suppressor) is different, it simply reduces the muzzle flash.  I believe most muzzle devices will reduce flash or reduce recoil, not both.

Silencers (sound suppressors) are in a different class, as they not only minimize the muzzle report but also eliminate muzzle flash and reduce felt recoil.  But they are, unfortunately, NFA taxed items.

You are in New York state?  I suspect you can't get your muzzle threaded for any kind of muzzle device.  The guys with muzzle devices either have pre-ban rifles, or else theirs are permanently attached to the muzzle.  That I think means either welded or pinned-and-soldered.  You better check with somebody who knows more about those NY laws than I do, though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Last time I went to the range, a guy next to me had an AR with a compensator attached.  Everytime he fired, I literally felt the wave come over me.  It was so distracting, I had to move.  I mean, my hair would blow back from this thing!

So the guns I see in my local shop are permanently attached and not threaded?  Kind of stupid that they can have something on and I can't.

I'll check my local laws.  Thanks for the info!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top