Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:03:59 PM EDT
I hope this is the right forum for this, I just turned 19 and I want to build my first AR, was thinking I'd rather a 14.5 barrel over a 16 inch since I'll be using it for HD and shooting targets mostly, leave room for SHTF and zombie uprisings of course.  What could I have to go through to get the shorter barrel? Will I have to wait till 21? And will the 14.5 CL be more moeny then a 16 inch CL? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You can either pay a $200 NFA tax to build a short barreled rifle since its less than 16" or buy a 14.5" upper with a permanently attached flash suppressor to make up for the length like I did.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can either pay a $200 NFA tax to build a short barreled rifle since its less than 16" or buy a 14.5" upper with a permanently attached flash suppressor to make up for the length like I did.

Isn't 21yo the rule to own NFA...

Sly
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sly

It may be a state law where you live (I doubt it!).  The Federal law is 18.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
i think its 21 to own nfa/cIII

but if its going to be oal of 16" then there's no problems
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sly

It may be a state law where you live (I doubt it!).  The Federal law is 18.

You must be 21 to own NFA items, regardless of your state of residence.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
YES!

order then put on Phantom be sure to WELD it

M4 is almost 16 inches anyway

BRAVO COMPANY has LMT 14.5 Very Nice
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry not trying to high jack the post. Can I buy a 14.5" bbl and then put the FH on it? The reason I am asking is I want to buy a 14.5" bbl from Bushmaster and have a locale gun smith permanently attach a Talon Arms SDI Extended A2 Flash Hider. Or can I send the FH to BM( or some one else) and have them permanently attach it? What I want to know is can I have the short bbl shipped to me, then I take it to a gun smith to do the job.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can I have the short barrel shipped to me, then take it to a gunsmith to do the job?

Yes. It might not be a good idea if it is a complete upper, but just the barrel should be okay. I'd recommend sending it off ASAP though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can I have the short barrel shipped to me, then take it to a gunsmith to do the job?

Yes. It might not be a good idea if it is a complete upper, but just the barrel should be okay. I'd recommend sending it off ASAP though.

Why not a complete upper? I don't real want to buy all the parts one by one and then put them to getter. I would send it off ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
O and I only have one lower so would it be ok to have the short bbl if I left the lower at frinds house tell I got the FH put on?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
You'll be fine just buying a complete 14.5 M4 upper and shipping it off to ADCO for a perm attached vortex/phantom/whateveryoulike
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
You can buy complete uppers no problem I have done it several times and done 14.5" barrels by themselves as well.  You can purchase them if you a re a toddler.  No age restrictions on parts.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#13]
buy whatever but make sure its sent off to become legal for you to own in the shortest time possible.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why not a complete upper?

Many feel that a complete upper would fall under constructive possession, as it is able to be installed in seconds. A barrel, on the other hand, takes much longer to install.

I'd say that you would be okay to get the complete short upper, and immediately forward it to someone like ADCO for the work. You might even be able to have it shipped directly there from where you purchased it, and never even have it in your possession until the flash suppressor is permanently attached.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hope this is the right forum for this, I just turned 19 and I want to build my first AR, was thinking I'd rather a 14.5 barrel over a 16 inch since I'll be using it for HD and shooting targets mostly, leave room for SHTF and zombie uprisings of course.  What could I have to go through to get the shorter barrel? Will I have to wait till 21? And will the 14.5 CL be more moeny then a 16 inch CL? Thanks.

small arms review  did an artical  on this several years ago .. If you are 18 years old you can build your own short barrelled shot gun or rifle ,or buy it from an individual , but it can't be bought from a ffl .
And it has to be legal in your state   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!KEY
MG - machine gun
SI - sound suppressor (silencer)
SR - short barreled rifle
SG - short shotgun
AOW - any other weapon
LBDD - large bore destructive device
EXPDD - explosive, incendiary or poison gas destructive device

STATEMG SI  SR   SG   AOWLBDD  EXPDD  Comments

AK  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
AL  Y   Y   N    N    Y  Y    ?
AR  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   (state registration of pistol cal. MG's over .30)
AZ  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
CA  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (requires discretionary and rarely issued permit for mg, lbdd or expdd from state Dept. of
                                 Justice; no AOW pen guns; C&R sg, sr only)
CO  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (requires state explosives permit for expdd)
CT  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   (no select fire mg's-full auto's only, after 1993 assault weapon ban, state registration of
                                 mg's)
DE  N   N   Y    N    Y  Y    N   (no smooth bore pistol AOW's)
FL  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
GA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (no incendiary expdd's)
HI  N   N   N    N    N  N    N  
IA  N   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (only si, sr, sg, lbdd and expdd designated as collector's items by the Comm'r of Public
                                 Safety - they use the ATF C&R list)
ID  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
IL  N   N   N    N    Y  ?    N
IN  Y   Y   Y    N    Y  Y    N
KS  N   N   Y    N    Y  Y    N   DEWAT machine guns are OK.
KY  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
LA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (mg's require a permit to purchase - war relics only; mg's, sr, si, sg and some expdd's
                                 require a permit to purchase)
MA  Y   N   Y    N    N  Y    N   (license for mg's required; 1998 law bans covert firearms (AOW's), short shotguns)
MD  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    N   (mg's must be registered)
ME  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
MI  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (FFL needed to own machine guns; no incendiary expdd; C&R sr, sg only)
MN  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   (C&R mg, sg only, registration required)
MO  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  N    N   (C&R mg, sr, sg only to non-FFL holders; FFL holders (including C&R) any mg, sr, sg)
MS  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (as of 7/1/00, silencers are legal, but must be registered with the state)
MT  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  N    N   (state law banning silencers and requiring pistol cal. mg's over .30 be registered with state
                                 repealed 4/23/99)
NE  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    N
NC  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (sheriff's permit required for mg's; must be FFL holder (including C&R) for mg, si, sr, sg
                                 lbdd and expdd, or fall into another exception, see comments below)
ND  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (fed. "licensees" required to register all NFA weapons with state when possessed for
                                 "protection or sale")
NH  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
NJ  Y   N   N    N    Y  N    N   (mg requires discretionary and rarely issued permit from state court)
NM  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
NV  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
NY  N   N   N    N    Y  Y    N   (AOW smooth bore handguns are allowed, on a state pistol license)
OH  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
OK  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
OR  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (no incendiary expdd's)
PA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    N
RI  N   N   N    N    Y  Y    ?
SC  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?   In 2001, S.C. law was changed to permit all Federally registered items  
SD  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
TN  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
TX  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
UT  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
VA  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (state registration of all mg's)
VT  Y   N   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y
WA  N   Y   N    N    Y  Y    N   (silencer may not be used on a gun)
WI  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    Y   (permit required for expdd, no incendiary expdd's; no pistol caliber mg's w/o permit)
WV  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
WY  Y   Y   Y    Y    Y  Y    ?
 ------------------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
buy whatever but make sure its sent off to become legal for you to own in the shortest time possible.

+1
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
small arms review  did an artical  on this several years ago .. If you are 18 years old you can build your own short barrelled shot gun or rifle ,or buy it from an individual , but it can't be bought from a ffl .

Then the article was wrong. You MUST be 21 to own an NFA item. Even corporations cannot allow someone under 21 to possess one of the NFA corporate assets without supervision by a corporate officer over the age of 21.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#18]
That 1.5 inches will help you with your tactical tin can assault ! ! !
That 1.5 inches Will help you with your urban combat super ninja tactical room clearing that must be done every 15 min.

And you get to tell all your friends that your FH is pinned amd welded on !

or you can wait 2 years +6months(nfa paperwork) and pay 200.00 dollars

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Roger that, Sir!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top