Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:24:59 PM EDT
When I sight-in I try to do it at 35 yards with a piece of paper with a crosshair on it using irons. I will be getting my barrel Government Profiled soon so I will have to re-zero it when I get it back and I want to do it right this time.

When I try to sight-in my front sight is always completely covering the entire target even though I only aim off the top of the post. This means I can't really hold in the same spot to keep the group as close together as possible and get an idea which direction to adjust the windage.

What kind of targets do you guys use to sight-in? I need something that the front sight post won't entirely cover so I can aim in the same general location for each shot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 8" Shoot-N-C's for iron sights and 5"/1" Shoot-N-C's for scopes.  I place them on an 18" x 40" piece of cardboard attached to my target stand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Tyler,
I just made some new zeroing targets that I'm going to start using.

I used to use the military ones enlarged for use at 50y but my eyes are getting old and I'm having problems makesure I'm centered on the simulated 300M target.

The new ones have a large dot that you use a 6:00 hold on.  This means the bottom of the dot rests on top of your front sight post.  It's easier to repeat the sight picture with this hold.  The target also has an outlined 4moa circle centered around the bottom of the target dot.  The idea is the rounds should be landing within the dotted circle around the target point.

The target also has a grid so you can count squares and ajust the sights the appropriate number of clicks - theoretically you should only shoot 2 groups.  Shoot the first, adjust, then shoot to confirm.

These targets are available for free download from www.MD-AR15.com in the Documents section (the Target's folder).  You have to be a member to access this area so click 'Join Now' at the top of the left margin when you go there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My tip:

For irons, use a round target to zero a little larger than what you think you should be using.  Put a small different colored post it note or something centered left right, but only covering the upper 1/2 of the bullseye.

The round circle will help you get the rear sight and target alignment in check, and the different colored box will help you get the front post aligned well.

This works for me at least, and is how I shoot the best groups with irons.  Or use a target with a different colored center right at the least.  If the target has a grid on it, all the better for making adjustments.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I download targets from
home.earthlink.net/~hwsportsman/CompTargets.html

the High precision 2 zone rifle grouping target on 1/2" grid targets are what I prefer

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I use targets downloaded from www.targetz.com/

Theres loads to choose from. I normally go for a 1inch dot on a grid background.

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
here is the military zero target that you can print out
link
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#7]
FOR my ML2/551 I use a Small Bore 50 yard Target
I find it pefect for 50 yard zero and the aimpoint and the eotech 551

My range now is a little over 200yards so I use 100 yard targets
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I use GI 25 meter zero targets, I generally get them at the office
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is more than a few.
www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

I am going to use the second one down on the right.  It has 1" squares.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The new ones have a large dot that you use a 6:00 hold on.  This means the bottom of the dot rests on top of your front sight post.  It's easier to repeat the sight picture with this hold.  The target also has an outlined 4moa circle centered around the bottom of the target dot.  The idea is the rounds should be landing within the dotted circle around the target point.

I can see how that would be easier to repeat, but wouldn't that throw off the concept of covering your target (or torso depending on distance) with the front sight post.  The target being human of course...

TS
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I use white wrapping paper, I make a mark with a pen about the size of a quarter and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm so cheap, I use graph paper with a 1" circle drawn on it with magic marker. That way I can roughly get it sighted in by counting the squares. I used to have a program to print graph paper but I can't find it so I splurged and bought some...I ended up being able to nail a 3/4" practice golfball hanging on a string dead center freestanding at 50 yards. Lucky shot and good weather...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see how that would be easier to repeat, but wouldn't that throw off the concept of covering your target (or torso depending on distance) with the front sight post.  The target being human of course...

TS

No, it would not.  Zero with a six oclock hold, then add enough elevation to center up the shots.  If the bullseye you were using to zero is 6 MOA in diameter (like the standard .mil/NRA bullseye rifle target), just click up 3 MOA from your 6 o'clock hold and there's your center of mass zero.

That's how the Army used to zero (at 300 yards) in the days of the M1.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: What kind of targets do you guys use to sight-in?  

MR-1C Light Paper 600 Yard  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Round "Bullseye" type for iron sights.

Colored diamond for scopes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#16]
ooopps PAPER PLATES ALSO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top