Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:12:08 AM EDT
Do I have to crank that threaded ring down harder or what?
I guess I need that special tool...

It’s my first build…sorry guys.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Tighten the castle nut more!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do I have to crank that threaded ring down harder or what? yes loctite wouldn't hurt either
I guess I need that special tool... a castlenut wrench

It’s my first build…sorry guys. at least you didn't ask about filing down the firing pin

good luck

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
yes,...you need that "special tool"

that's what they use it for,.......

tightening the castle nut.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Send an IM over to The Tic.  He sells the wrenches for like $2.50 + shipping if you can wait.  If not, go to your local gun shop.  They might have one lying around that you can use.  Make sure you buy something though
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do I have to crank that threaded ring down harder or what? yes loctite wouldn't hurt either
I guess I need that special tool... a castlenut wrench

It’s my first build…sorry guys. at least you didn't ask about filing down the firing pin

good luck

That was in my other thread.  

Just file down the sear pin
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, for all the input.

I guess I'll buy a castel nut wrench, apply some locktight and tighten the castle nut down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#7]
How tight do you tighten the castle nut?  I know from past experiance you can start to twist the tube.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The tube is keyed against rotation.  It cannot rotate if the backplate is installed correctly even thought the castle nut is a little loose.

Ether the key is stripped out, the backplate is backwards, or the backplate is not up against the back of the lower.

people need to stop spreading BS.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do I have to crank that threaded ring down harder or what?
I guess I need that special tool...

It’s my first build…sorry guys.

How much does it rotate? It can wiggle a bit from side to side if the nut isnt tight... By a bit, I mean 1/8" or less. If it spins around, you have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#11]
The dimple in the plate goes into the recess in the back of the receiver; I got that part right.

I only twisted a very small amount because I didn't want to cause problems for the little spring loaded thing that keeps the buffer in the buffer tube.  So I didn't rotate it mcuh at all.

I will check tonight just how much it can rotate.

What kind of problem could this be if it rotates?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you get us a picture?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can you get us a picture?

I'm at work and it is at home but I can take some tonight.

What is important to see?  Where the buffer tube comes up to hold the buffer retaining pin in place in the lower?  How the plate & castle nut fit at the back of the receiver?  Both?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
The endplate should have 2 things.  A small protrusion in side the ring that locks the end plate to the receiver extention.  So if the tube trys to rotate the plate will as well.  If the protrusion isn't long enough or the endplate is too soft you could get some rotation.

I'd also point out the locking ring (castle nut) does need to be tight so the endplate will lock into the dimple at the end of the receiver (the endplate should have a bump on it that fits into the dimple).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What kind of problem could this be if it rotates?

You can release the buffer retaining pin inside the lower and lock up the bolt carrier group (seen that a couple of times - it's not fun to fix).

Also you could twist the receiver plate off so the rear take down pin detent spring goes flying out.

Best case is the lower extension damages some threads if the end plate stays in place and the protrusion in the endplate pushes over the threads (I've done that a bit once).  Usually this ends up being just a cosmetic issue, one that can only be seen if you take the stock off.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, maybe this will be obvious when I get home and look but how does the receiver end plate stop the buffer tube from rotating?

I can see how it stops itself (the dimple that goes into the recess in the back of the receiver) but how does the end plate connect to the buffer tube?  Doesn't it just have a smooth, round opening that can slide over the tube?

ETA:

OK, now I'm really confused.  Looking for parts online I see this: linkeroo

and this:
other linkeroo

One has a little notch and the other doesn't.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When you get home, and sit down with your weapon, this is all going to make sense.  Don't worry about it right now, the visual will make it clear.  

I'll see if I have a picture that shows the different points.

I'm thinking my receiver end plate has no protrusion at the bottom to lock the buffer tube.

I will chill out and check tonight though.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#20]
+1
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Installing a collapsible stock

Cool how-to but it really doesn't address my rotating buffer tube.

I am going to look at the receiver end plate tonight to see that it has the piece at the bottom rather than being a smooth round opening.

It is getting replaced by a Bushmaster single-point sling adapter anyway (which came with the upper today via UPS).  I'll see what's going on and post tomorrow.

Thanks everyone so far.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am going to look at the receiver end plate tonight to see that it has the piece at the bottom rather than being a smooth round opening.

It is getting replaced by a Bushmaster single-point sling adapter anyway (which came with the upper today via UPS).  I'll see what's going on and post tomorrow.

Thanks everyone so far.

If you install it according to those directions, it won't have to address your rotating tube problem, because it won't rotate any more.

If you're using an aftermarket end-plate in place of the one that came with the stock, make sure you're using one designed for use w/ a collapsible stock buffer tube, not one for use with a standard A2 buttstock. Those don't have the indexing tab at the base that will fit into the groove on the underneath of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks everyone so far.

If you install it according to those directions, it won't have to address your rotating tube problem, because it won't rotate any more.

I am beginning to wonder if the receiver end plate has the piece at the bottom that locks into the tube.  Do you see?  If it was a round hole with no piece it would have no effect on the tube rotating.

ETA: (After your edit) Exactly!  I didn't know the name for the little tab but I'm thinking it might not be present.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]

IAMLEGEND
Team Member
Legal Alien

Post Number :: 7554

CO, USA

Don't make it to the techincal part AR15.com much?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If you're using an aftermarket end-plate in place of the one that came with the stock, make sure you're using one designed for use w/ a collapsible stock buffer tube, not one for use with a standard A2 buttstock. Those don't have the indexing tab at the base that will fit into the groove on the underneath of the buffer tube.

You need your posting rights revoked.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
IAMLEGEND
Team Member
Legal Alien

Post Number :: 7554

CO, USA

Don't make it to the techincal part AR15.com much?

Sometimes.  This is the first one I assembled myself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But 4 posts above that I mentioned that very possibility.  

And above that I posted links to two different reciever end plate types because I thought this might be the problem.

I was pretty much piecing it together before the post you quoted...I'm not sure what you're saying.

A2 stocks don't use a receiver endplate.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And above that I posted links to two different reciever end plate types because I thought this might be the problem.

I was pretty much piecing it together before the post you quoted...I'm not sure what you're saying.

Oh, right...the dimple is on the stock itself.  Even I know that.

No, this is a tele-stock.

ETA: He was probably refering to the tactical sling adapters since that's what I found a picture of and linked to when trying to describe the tab or lack of tab at the bottom of the receiver end plate.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#30]

IAMLEGEND,

I would suggest you stop posting before more people feed you BS and contact Stickman or Forest by IM for help.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
IAMLEGEND,

I would suggest you stop posting before more people feed you BS and contact Stickman or Forest by IM for help.

Scott

OK...I have IMed plenty with Forest so I'll go home, look at what I've got and IM him tomorrow.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm aware of that. I mentioned aftermarket - the companies making the sling rings etc, make ones that take the place of the A2 buttstock and could be used with collapsible stock buffer tubes but would not work correctly and lead to a rotating buffer tube. Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about, either.

Collapsible stock adapters:

Fixed stock adapters:
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#33]
You have my apology
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You have my apology

Thanks. I tend to only type as much as "I" think necessary and usually end up needing to add more info in later on to explain things more clearly. No harm done, just a good chuckle! I actually almost posted the photo of the "O RLY " parrot but I couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#35]
OK, thanks everyone who offered help.

Looks like I need to crank the castle nut down good and hard.  Also, like Forest said, I have done some damage that appears to be strictly cosmetic to the threads of the buffer tube (by inadvertently twisting the stock so the index tab of the receiver end plate crushed some threads a little bit).

Thank you again everyone for your help and for dealing with my low experience level with assembling/servicing ARs.

Cheers,
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#36]
OK, just an FYI update in case anyone cares.

I replaced the gouged DPMS buffer tube with an LMT buffer tube.  I performed the same steps putting the LMT on and had no problems at all.  I don't know if the DPMS was not perfectly to spec allowing more opportunity for the receiver end plate to rotate a little (so the index tab could gouge the threads) or what but it went together flawlessly with no rotation whatsoever.  More what I would have expected.

Also, FWIW, the buttstock slides more smoothly and freely on the LMT.  It is far superior.

All seems to be well.

Thanks very much again to all those who offered input.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#37]
This may help the learning curve if you are interested.......I set the class up so I could save some $$$, because my constant trips to the gunsmith can get costly in a short period of time.

The instructor isn't making any money, in fact he is coming out of his pocket to make this happen.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=223923

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This may help the learning curve if you are interested.......I set the class up so I could save some $$$, because my constant trips to the gunsmith can get costly in a short period of time.

The instructor isn't making any money, in fact he is coming out of his pocket to make this happen.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=223923

Thanks Jeff, this sounds pretty good.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top